Default Game video freezing, looking for help

Hi folks. So I recently returned to DDO after a hiatus of about a year, and have been having some issues with my game's video freezing. The game itself isn't locking up, because I can hear my character moving/swinging a weapon/casting spells, can hear voice chat, and other people can see what I'm writing into party/guild chat. The screen goes slightly darker and freezes.

So far, I've noticed that this happens frequently when I open the door to the room that contains the hot tub on the guild airship, and occasionally at other points, and I'm really not sure what's causing this issue. Does it have something to do with water graphics? Something else?

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this, or steps I can take to try and run down the cause?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Hey Seph,

There's not a lot to go on here, but I'll give it a try.

Most of the time issues like this are driver-related errors which cause the video subsystem to crash. Try updating to the latest driver for your card. Make sure to uninstall the current one before updating so that older driver components don't get in the way.

Sometimes there will be an underlying hardware problem which causes the driver to crash. This is usually time and heat related. If you can, remove as much dust and other detritus from the computer as possible to avoid excessive heat.

Having eliminated hardware and driver problems, the game itself, or it along with DirectX, is probably the culprit.

Try running in another DirectX mode (9, 10, 11) and see if that makes a difference.

You can give differing graphics settings (under Advanced Graphics) a tweak and see if that helps, although the permutations of that are substantial.

There have been some changes in the UserPreferences.ini since last you regularly played. When U14 came out, I had several issues with video and graphics which were related to some INI changes that didn't get set on update. Deleting UserPreferences.ini and letting the game rebuild it fixed them for me. Always make a backup before deleting.

You can try the uninstall/reinstall route for the whole game. If you've not done that for a while and applied several updates, the probability of file corruption is significant. Several of the resource files - graphics, textures, sounds, etc. - are built or modified on the fly during an update. While we like to think of our computers as reliable servants, they quite often are finicky beasts which will slip in a bit of mischief on occasion.

Lastly, and I hesitate to suggest this one, you can reinstall the OS. It's not pretty, takes copious planning and lots of time, but Windows can grow messy over time and is not easily returned to a stable state without a complete wipe. Once again, I am not recommending this option unless you are having issues other than with DDO.

Well, that's about all the generic advice I can give. If you have any more specific information about your hardware, OS, drivers, etc, I'll check back on this thread and see what I can do.

Best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Thanks! I'll give some of these a try. My only puzzlement regarding a few of them, is that something like game data corruption seems like it would have this effect all the time, rather than only some of the time, or am I off base in my thinking?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Thanks! I'll give some of these a try. My only puzzlement regarding a few of them, is that something like game data corruption seems like it would have this effect all the time, rather than only some of the time, or am I off base in my thinking?
    You're most welcome.

It's not so much that the data is corrupt, but kind of weird. Not to get too technical, but DirectX - and by extension the various APIs to it - expects data to be presented in a certain way. As the game updates textures, sounds and meshes, bit and bytes can get a little off or misaligned. When the game hands those blocks of data off to be rendered, something (DirectX or the game internals) will usually correct these little misalignments and everything is peachy. Every once in awhile those corrections don't happen for some reason and you end up with memory errors that trickle all the way down to the driver level causing an exception. That's why you notice lockups happening in the same places over and over again, but not always. The problem is almost impossible to debug, won't present the same way on every computer and can be eventually traced to a myriad of hardware/software interactions unforeseen by anyone. You might just be the lucky person to have it happen to you.

I don't mean to imply that this is exactly what's happening in your case, just that it might be. Reinstalling the game, provided you have the distribution files, is a relatively quick way to eliminate this potential problem.

Best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Well, I updated some drivers and reinstalled DDO, and it seems to be working well. Ran by the hot tub a few times, did a CitW twice, swapped characters a couple of times, and ran a Trial By Fury with no problems. Hopefully that holds.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Well, I updated some drivers and reinstalled DDO, and it seems to be working well. Ran by the hot tub a few times, did a CitW twice, swapped characters a couple of times, and ran a Trial By Fury with no problems. Hopefully that holds.

Thanks again!
    You are most welcome.

If the problem returns, please feel free to PM me about any new symptoms and, if you would be so kind, a little more information about your hardware and OS.

Best of luck!