Default Devs, favored weapons are alot like crossbows....

Favored weapons are a lot like crossbows: Why would I use a crossbow when I can pick up a repeating crossbow and do 2-3 times as much damage?

You see, it's not difficult for any non-warforged divine to use up a feat slot, or take one level of any class with marital weapon proficiency, or roll up a half-elf FvS with fighter dillie, in order to gain access to two-handed weapons. I'm sure that even without doing any math, one can see that the difference between a longsword and a greatsword, for instance, is very significant. If you guys and gals want to make use of the favored weapon mechanic for divines, two things need to happen:

1) A greater variety of weapons need to be available as options. I'm sure you have all the pertinent information on favored weapons and faiths, and I am fairly certain that most of the favored weapons for the Eberron faiths exist in DDO already. It's not necessary to make any new 6th level faith capstones for all of the Sovereign Host deities, although that would be optimal.

2) The favored weapons need to be useful enough to the wielder so that deciding between the favored weapon (even the longsword) and using a two-handed weapon is a tough choice. I'm not saying that they need to deal comparable damage, but things like DR-breaking effects, ghost touch, doublestrike/doubleshot, increased critical profile, elemental damage on hit/crit/vorpal, or SOMETHING that makes the choice of weapons a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Favored weapons are a lot like crossbows: Why would I use a crossbow when I can pick up a repeating crossbow and do 2-3 times as much damage?

You see, it's not difficult for any non-warforged divine to use up a feat slot, or take one level of any class with marital weapon proficiency, or roll up a half-elf FvS with fighter dillie, in order to gain access to two-handed weapons. I'm sure that even without doing any math, one can see that the difference between a longsword and a greatsword, for instance, is very significant. If you guys and gals want to make use of the favored weapon mechanic for divines, two things need to happen:

1) A greater variety of weapons need to be available as options. I'm sure you have all the pertinent information on favored weapons and faiths, and I am fairly certain that most of the favored weapons for the Eberron faiths exist in DDO already. It's not necessary to make any new 6th level faith capstones for all of the Sovereign Host deities, although that would be optimal.

2) The favored weapons need to be useful enough to the wielder so that deciding between the favored weapon (even the longsword) and using a two-handed weapon is a tough choice. I'm not saying that they need to deal comparable damage, but things like DR-breaking effects, ghost touch, doublestrike/doubleshot, increased critical profile, elemental damage on hit/crit/vorpal, or SOMETHING that makes the choice of weapons a tough one.
    YES.

Consider expanding the weapons, and toss a bone to the combos that get less. Drow getting free short sword prof from a class is less than awesome because they have that racially ... Give them a sneak die or something. And giving clerics proficiency for free kinda is a poke in the eye to fvs who get that as a class feature. Give fvs something else or make the proficiency have a cost and be selectable.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

/signed
    One Monk To Gimp Them All
    Europe Devourer Beta Player
    Arise Founder
    Daemus, Daemons, Daemonicus Thelanis Server

Speaking of that, weren't favored souls going to get a Divine Avenger tree just for this sorta thing? And then everyone completely forgot about it.

Or… do something like Assassin Knife Specialization for the Favored Weapons.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • NEW - Fix the flipping non-proficiency penalties for wildshape!
    • Redo the Favor rewards so there is a reason to do max favor again.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.
    • Task Lynnabel with updating the remaining legacy named loot to not suck.
    • Tiering the Runearms so that artificers aren’t screwed out of the advantages of Cannith Crafting in Epic levels on their signature item.
    • Finishing the enhancement tree passes (including racial PrE’s) before rolling out yet another DDOStore™ Enhancement Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeebaNeighba View Post
    Speaking of that, weren't favored souls going to get a Divine Avenger tree just for this sorta thing? And then everyone completely forgot about it.
    Turbine-Homogenization effect; I'm surprised Henshin and Thief Acrobat are different trees at this point.

The following classes have 2 or less trees available as of u20:

Arti
    Bard
    Druid
    FvS (although only 1 unique tree)
    Fighter
    Paladin

At 1 tree per update, we're looking at completion around May 2015 - awesome.

As far as turning casters into melee with a tree like eldritch and warpriest, you (turbine) are victims of your poor itemization team. Enhancement bonuses to longswords for example, are extremely boring because virtually all named longswords, (in comparison to other weapon types with more powerful crit profiles and base damage) suck.

/signed