Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Community Member 2x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    577

    Default Has anyone else notice this forum behavior?

    Many times someone starts a thread. Raises their current peeve. Makes the starting post and then never returns to the discussion. I find that odd and shows me that perhaps there is an ulterior motive that is not actually stated in the original thread and post.It's curious to me. I now scroll down through a thread to see if the original poster has made any further replies. Seeing none, this tells me the original post and thread was not important to the person who started the thread in the first place.My 2cent observation

  2. #2
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Something tells me you will not be replying to this thread
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  3. #3
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2x4 View Post
    Many times someone starts a thread. Raises their current peeve. Makes the starting post and then never returns to the discussion. I find that odd and shows me that perhaps there is an ulterior motive that is not actually stated in the original thread and post.It's curious to me. I now scroll down through a thread to see if the original poster has made any further replies. Seeing none, this tells me the original post and thread was not important to the person who started the thread in the first place.My 2cent observation
    If it wasn't for drama and controversy, 90% of the forums out there for any given subject would be a dead as hermit's social life.

  4. #4
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default

    This about sums up why that happens.

    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  5. #5
    Community Member khamastus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I dont know, could simply be the poster wasnt looking for a debate but only looking to drop his opinion about something in the game.... could be the poster just wanted a discussion started about a particular subject and seeing how the thread evolves he realizes he has nothing to add that hasnt been covered.... could be he had too much to drink when he made the post and now regrets posting in the first place...
    Dont think it's as black and white as 'no additional posts= ulterior motive'
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    1337 x Pi = 80081E5

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,678

    Default

    Most people that constantly complain on forums have "something off" about them. I don't think there's any ulterior motives. It's probably that they posted while in a rage or psychotic state, and in a moment of clarity, became embarrassed by their actions and post, so they don't return.

  7. #7
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Most people that constantly complain on forums have "something off" about them. I don't think there's any ulterior motives. It's probably that they posted while in a rage or psychotic state, and in a moment of clarity, became embarrassed by their actions and post, so they don't return.
    Never returning takes alot longer than posting, so i don't think that could accurately be described as a "moment" of clarity.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  8. #8
    Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    After posting the thread, it's important to log onto alt accounts and show support.

  9. #9
    Community Member ThePrisoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    After posting the thread, it's important to log onto alt accounts and show support.
    /signed!

  10. #10
    Community Member Philibusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    'Murica!
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    After posting the thread, it's important to log onto alt accounts and show support.
    ::lightbulb::

    I must create an alt account. So I can post pointless rant threads. Then log on my alt account and argue with myself.

    It shall be completely silly and nonsensical.

    It shall be Epic.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    616

    Default

    OP, are you ever going to come back and reply to this thread?

  12. #12
    2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,819

    Default

    I don't start threads. I stand around waiting for someone else to start one so I can join.

  13. #13
    Community Member ThePrisoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    ::lightbulb::

    I must create an alt account. So I can post pointless rant threads. Then log on my alt account and argue with myself.

    It shall be completely silly and nonsensical.

    It shall be Epic.
    Hahaha. I love this idea.

  14. #14
    Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canada / G-Land
    Posts
    1,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2x4 View Post
    Many times someone starts a thread. Raises their current peeve. Makes the starting post and then never returns to the discussion. I find that odd and shows me that perhaps there is an ulterior motive that is not actually stated in the original thread and post.It's curious to me. I now scroll down through a thread to see if the original poster has made any further replies. Seeing none, this tells me the original post and thread was not important to the person who started the thread in the first place.My 2cent observation

    Perhaps once they've vented, they are done. Perhaps they weren't done, but posting any complaint here is pretty much like starting a countdown timer for attacks from elitists who have to demean pretty much everyone, and counter attacks from the fan-boys, aggressive apologists and Turbine shills.


    I really hope no one ever forum-lurks before actually trying the game, because a fair amount of the behaviour here (which is not nearly as bad on the live servers), would scare a lot of people off.

  15. #15
    Community Member 2x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Right after I posted this thread I thought someone would take issue with me never coming back. Funny that it happened right away.I guess some people make a thread and then feel some regret or they realize the answer and are embarrassed to come back?I don't really get the trolling thing. Looks to me that any time someone does not like an answer from someone else the troll finger gets flung at them. It's an instantaneous effect. Astonishing thing to read. It is also funny the different speech modalities that come out when this whole thing is about typing and reading. Lots of times people use auditory and sight modalities when they type.I also notice that some people stop reading a post at the very moment the material they are reading ****es them off or confuses them. When if they would have just kept reading they would find out that there concern was dealt with in the later sentences. But since the person stopped reading and then chose to post, they missed it. As I type this I am thinking this is a definition of a troll???

  16. #16
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2x4 View Post
    Right after I posted this thread I thought someone would take issue with me never coming back. Funny that it happened right away.I guess some people make a thread and then feel some regret or they realize the answer and are embarrassed to come back?I don't really get the trolling thing. Looks to me that any time someone does not like an answer from someone else the troll finger gets flung at them. It's an instantaneous effect. Astonishing thing to read. It is also funny the different speech modalities that come out when this whole thing is about typing and reading. Lots of times people use auditory and sight modalities when they type.I also notice that some people stop reading a post at the very moment the material they are reading ****es them off or confuses them. When if they would have just kept reading they would find out that there concern was dealt with in the later sentences. But since the person stopped reading and then chose to post, they missed it. As I type this I am thinking this is a definition of a troll???
    It would have been a lot funnier if you hadn't come back.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I would imagine that some posters create a thread in the hopes that a Dev will read it and do something about it.

    When the poster realises that Turbine doesn't actually give a ****, and other posters don't care enough to keep the thread on the front page either, they lose hope and give up.

    After giving up, what's the point in continuing with the thread?
    Last edited by Archangel_666; 09-14-2013 at 07:05 PM.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,678

    Default

    They may have started the post drunk, passed out, and then forgot all about it when they woke up.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

    Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

  19. #19
    Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    622

    Default

    I'd like to have an easier way to find threads started by the account you are on. If you don't subscribe to a thread manually it can sometimes be very hard to find again.

    I'd suggest subscribing to any thread you create as a default setting. It shouldn't be to your main folder but to a new folder automatically created when you start a thread.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

    Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

  20. #20
    Community Member zDragonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!
    Posts
    691

    Default It is the GOlden age Of TrOlL

    A thread that thinks about trolling and then contemplates the idea then talks about it and breaks it down to a science.

    IT is the golden Age of Troll

    No one has done this before.

    Well Trolled!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload