Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Paradigm Shift : how we are looking at Epic Reincarnation

I am looking forward to providing everyone with the design details of proposed changes to the Reincarnation system in the coming weeks. Before we start rolling out the fact sheets and dev discussions, I intend to get in front of some of the greater concerns that players (and developers) have raised regarding our prior proposal for Epic Reincarnation.

To get to the point: We have really changed direction from what was previously proposed; and I for one am very pleased that the systems team has taken that direction from 'power from pain' to something more palatable, like 'rewarded for efforts.'
    • Epic reincarnation will require level cap and "points" (TBD) in a "Destiny Sphere" (TBD). This will allow a character to reincarnate from Epic cap to level 20, with equivalent heroic XP.
    • Doing so will not alter your earned Epic Destinies or Epic Destiny XP, and you can alternatively take a second step and reincarnate your Heroic levels to 1 and benefit from both a Heroic and Epic Past Life [PL] feat.
    • As you level Epic Destinies you will gain points toward Epic Reincarnation in the active Destiny Sphere (e.g. Arcane, Divine, Martial, Primal). Furthermore, there is plan to grant retroactive progress for those of you working on your Epic Destinies today.

Again, this is a departure from the previously shared proposal. The goals we set out to accomplish are still being met with these more generous alterations to the Epic Reincarnation design and I hope to share lots of detail changes in the next week (Soon TM).

~E
    ---------------
    follow me on Twitter @producerglin

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Thank you!

Thank you for these details and Happy Friday!

This sounds interesting and doesn't ring any alarm bells. Looking forward to it.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

So far it sounds promising. I like the option of either TR'ing to 20 to get an epic past life or TR'ing right back to 1 to get heroic and epic at once. Pricing and in game availability of the appropriate hearts (or whatever item is required) will need to be known for a more accurate idea.

The retention of destiny xp is nice to have confirmed.

I'm a bit confused about the sphere xp. As long as I'm in the appropriate sphere I gain progress toward some sort of goal, which will then allow me to epic TR with a past life related to that goal I achieved? It's not necessarily tied into any specific destiny, but to spheres?
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

So if the details are next week does that mean we shouldn't ask for them now?

So we're now getting epic past "destiny sphere" feats instead of epic past "individual destiny" feats? Or did I misread? Do they stack 3x max as well? Are there active feats once you have epic tr'ed? If we no longer lose ED XP, how are we releveling ED's? Or are we leveling TBD's spheroidal shaped paths?

Oh well. Please make sure to include your ideas on some of the new passive (and active takable epic ED feats if those exist) so we can see carrots before falling into the WhatYouHaveToDo details. Also the epic completionist carrot and whether it involves a guaranteed gaming session at the next genCon run by producerRowan featuring Patrick Stewart, Vin Diesel and Patrick Rothfuss as your party.
    Last edited by Gratch; 09-13-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Franchise Director ProducerRowan's Avatar

Well, Maj Mal is one heck of a Trekkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Glin View Post
    I am looking forward to providing everyone with the design details of proposed changes to the Reincarnation system in the coming weeks. Before we start rolling out the fact sheets and dev discussions, I intend to get in front of some of the greater concerns that players (and developers) have raised regarding our prior proposal for Epic Reincarnation.

To get to the point: We have really changed direction from what was previously proposed; and I for one am very pleased that the systems team has taken that direction from 'power from pain' to something more palatable, like 'rewarded for efforts.'
    • Epic reincarnation will require level cap and "points" (TBD) in a "Destiny Sphere" (TBD). This will allow a character to reincarnate from Epic cap to level 20, with equivalent heroic XP.
    • Doing so will not alter your earned Epic Destinies or Epic Destiny XP, and you can alternatively take a second step and reincarnate your Heroic levels to 1 and benefit from both a Heroic and Epic Past Life [PL] feat.
    • As you level Epic Destinies you will gain points toward Epic Reincarnation in the active Destiny Sphere (e.g. Arcane, Divine, Martial, Primal). Furthermore, there is plan to grant retroactive progress for those of you working on your Epic Destinies today.

Again, this is a departure from the previously shared proposal. The goals we set out to accomplish are still being met with these more generous alterations to the Epic Reincarnation design and I hope to share lots of detail changes in the next week (Soon TM).

~E
    Okay, that's what I like to hear. I'd be willing to level 20-28 again, not so much 1-20. That would actually encourage me to eTR Nae a couple times if there was no 1-20 grind. I temporarily approve pending details.
    Thelanis - Dragons of the Shire
    Naeryna (Sun Elf 24 FvS Evoker) // Dianocia (Drow 11 Buckler o' Swashes) // Valissia (Elf 22 Shiradi Druid)
    Nae haz a story. Go read it.

Just one question.
    What if I'm an Iconic and want an Iconic and Epic past life?

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the sphere xp.
    Our current plan for Epic Past Life feats is to tie a few of these feats to each Sphere, instead of tying each Past Life to a specific Epic Destiny.

When you Epic Reincarnate you choose which sphere you want a past life from. For instance, if you want a Primal Past Life, you spend points earned while you had any primal Epic Destiny active, and you choose one feat to gain from the list of possible Primal Epic Past Life feats.

The details regarding these Epic Past Lives are still being designed. Early thoughts are that these are likely to stack three times, like Heroic Past Lives.

If you have amazing ideas for possible Epic Past Lives, now is a good time to try to squeak those ideas into our ears!

~E
    Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Well, Maj Mal is one heck of a Trekkie.
    So you'll be running the game with MajMal in a bald cap playing the part of Patrick Stewart? Your other party member being Tom Brady and MajMal wishing he wasn't wearing a bald cap and talking with a fakey British accent in front of Tom Brady? Got ya.

Tom was looking a bit peeved at his current flubceivers yesterday... maybe he's ready to go from NFL QB to D&D gamer...

On Topic: Primal Epic Active Past Life Feat: Throw like Tom: Your next thrower attack automatically hits and criticals with a +10W additive and +2 crit mult. If the target does not die you, enter a rage and receive the effects of Primal Scream.
    Last edited by Gratch; 09-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

This idea gets Teh_Troll's seal of approval.

More details please, sounds good so far.

For instance, if you want a Primal Past Life, you spend points earned while you had any primal Epic Destiny active, and you choose one feat to gain from the list of possible Primal Epic Past Life feats.
    I love the new direction; Glin's description sounds like a tsunami of win.

The one doubt I have is that it sort of sounds like epic TR will be a finite system, which contrasts with heroic's TR's infinite system. The benefits from heroic TR are finite, sure, but even a triple completionist can keep doing heroic TRs just for the fun of leveling if that's what they're into.

Best I can tell, in this new proposal you:

a) Earn points from leveling destinies
    b) NEVER lose destiny xp
    c) SPEND points doing an epic TR

Which means that hypthetical OCD guy who already has maxed out every single destiny gets "x" points when this goes live. That "x" would be the forever maximum, can never be increased number of points, right? And that "x" number of points decreases each time he epic TRs, and can never be replenished. When he uses up his last point doing however many epic TRs, he can never epic TR again?

EDIT:

If this is intentional design to limit the epic past life feats, I see real value in such a "hard choices" setup. Like, say, there are 5 awesome primal past life feats but you can only take 3 feats from any given sphere because there's only enough points available for 3 epic TRs from any one sphere. I'm totally on board if that's the basic idea. Gotta love hard choices.

I'd just like to be able to keep TRing anyway even if there's no additional benefit, like how you can with heroic TR. Right at this moment this isn't a huge concern for me; just a general feeling of preferring open-ended vs closed systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post

Just one question.
    What if I'm an Iconic and want an Iconic and Epic past life?
    Not at the same time. (which is an answer that surely leads to more questions)
    We will have more on that when we go over the entire Reincarnation system... soon.
    Iconics will be able to gain the Epic PL, unlike the previous proposal.
    ---------------
    follow me on Twitter @producerglin

A new word for Fawn:

par·a·digm
    /?par??d?m/
    noun
    noun: paradigm;?plural noun: paradigms

1. technical
    a typical example or pattern of something; a model.
    "there is a new paradigm for public art in this country"
    synonyms: model, pattern, example, exemplar, template, standard, prototype, archetype More

Our current plan for Epic Past Life feats is to tie a few of these feats to each Sphere, instead of tying each Past Life to a specific Epic Destiny.

When you Epic Reincarnate you choose which sphere you want a past life from. For instance, if you want a Primal Past Life, you spend points earned while you had any primal Epic Destiny active, and you choose one feat to gain from the list of possible Primal Epic Past Life feats.

The details regarding these Epic Past Lives are still being designed. Early thoughts are that these are likely to stack three times, like Heroic Past Lives.

If you have amazing ideas for possible Epic Past Lives, now is a good time to try to squeak those ideas into our ears!
    Sounds great, I like it.

Hmm...examples

Well I love the new epic spell feats: Ruin and Hellball.
    I love SLAs (even though you folks are smart enough to know how powerful they are).

Divines would like another light / healing SLA.

Cocoon is everyone's favorite twist, perhaps as a PL version, with decreased cooldown?

Two more Twist slots would be nice ~ even in limited versions of tier one only.

Evasion is sacred.

~E
    There is absolutely nothing about this I have a problem with. Keep this direction going and overall most players shouldn't be upset with this proposed system.

Not at the same time. (which is an answer that surely leads to more questions)
    We will have more on that when we go over the entire Reincarnation system... soon.
    Iconics will be able to gain the Epic PL, unlike the previous proposal.
    I can live with that.
    Gives Iconics more lasting value.

Please continue slowly bringing one or more iconics out each year, thank you.

I am liking the sounds of this. Doing level2 20-28, while a ton of xp will still allow me to run with guildies and friends that are in that range and use most of my nice gear. I could see doing a few of these depending on the epic past lives
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    This idea gets Teh_Troll's seal of approval.

More details please, sounds good so far.
    The Troll has spoken; all hail The Troll...

I really like what I am hearing and I can't wait to hear more!

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast