Exclamation Healers then we start..... Stop driving people away from the healer classes

With the lack of healers on the server, you game designers should make this red-headed step child more attractive to play.

In a nutshell, healers are boring to play, as in really boring, stare at the health bars and miss the quest/storyline/everything-else boring. Are you seeing where I am going with the boring thing?

Not only do we get stuck with unimaginative enhancement lines (aside from the healing/FvS auras, great job on that) one of them is shared for both the FvS and cleric classes.

Instead I was hoping for something along the lines of different ways of healing/casting:
    • Heal over time - so the healers can cast them and do other stuff for a little bit
    • "pre-heals" like temporary hitpoints for big fights, so you can buff up your main tank as people get settled in on the big fights (something like 1000 HP with a 5 minute recast at level 28 or something like that)
    • Damage reducers- temporary DR spells that allow people to take less damage allowing your healers to look away from the health bars a little bit (just enough that the healer can do other things between the big fights)
    • Offensive boosters, Force/light spell power in addition to healing boosts, add diversity to the class
    • Crowd control boosters - help out the CC spells a bit as a fast way to control things instead of just trying to heal the group out of a mess.

Also give these pure casters two choices of casting, offensive and defensive (you had protector which was decent, only to get rid of it for a melee option? isn't that called a paladin?. I like the melee option but not at the expense of the defensive casting option.

There are probably hundreds of more ideas out there that would draw more people to the class and make it more than staring at health bars. Also get more enhancement trees, just two is sad, even when you add one (warpriest) you take one away to do it? Who is in charge of healer enhancements?
    Last edited by FURYous; 09-16-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Choler 25 Brd 2TR | Enmity 25Clr | Exasperate 20Sor | Ferocity 6Ftr 2TR | Furyous 25Art 1TR | Hiddin 20Mnk | Infuryated 6Rng 1TR | Retributive 8Dru | Vehemence 23Rog 3TRs | Vehement 10Pal 3Mnk 1Rog | Vexate 22Wiz 2TRs | Violence 28FvS Completionist 23TRs

This is going to be a good thread to read

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    This is going to be a good thread to read
    I predict much greatness in this thread, especially on a Friday afternoon with an announcement that Cocooners are getting nerfed.

PS: Hjeal Meh!

Quote Originally Posted by FURYous View Post
    [*]Heal over time - so the healers can cast them and do other stuff for a little bit[*]"pre-heals" like temporary hitpoints for big fights, so you can buff up your main tank as people get settled in on the big fights (something like 1000 HP with a 5 minute recast at level 28 or something like that)
    [/LIST]

/rant off
    - Good Idea - Cocoon and Renewal in EDs do already exists with renewal being a part of Angel. The druid Vigor Spells are nice for this as well.
    - Cocoon does this, but it's 150 with a 12 second cooldown.

With the lack of healers on the server, you game designers should make this red-headed step child more attractive to play.

In a nutshell, healers are boring to play, as in really boring, stare at the health bars and miss the quest/storyline/everything-else boring. Are you see where I am going with the boring thing?

Not only do we get stuck with unimaginative enhancement lines (aside from the healing/FvS auras, great job on that) one of them is shared for both the FvS and cleric classes.

Instead I was hoping for something along the lines of different ways of healing/casting:
    • Heal over time - so the healers can cast them and do other stuff for a little bit
    • "pre-heals" like temporary hitpoints for big fights, so you can buff up your main tank as people get settled in on the big fights (something like 1000 HP with a 5 minute recast at level 28 or something like that)
    • Damage reducers- temporary DR spells that allow people to take less damage allowing your healers to look away from the health bars a little bit (just enough that the healer can do other things between the big fights)
    • Offensive boosters, Force/light spell power in addition to healing boosts, add diversity to the class
    • Crowd control boosters - help out the CC spells a bit as a fast way to control things instead of just trying to heal the group out of a mess.

Also give these pure casters two choices of casting, offensive and defensive (you had protector which was decent only to get rid of it for a melee option? isn't that called a paladin?. I like the melee option but not at the expense of the defensive casting option.

There are probably hundreds of more ideas out there that would draw more people to the class and make it more than staring at health bars. Also get more enhancement trees, just two is sad, even when you add one (warpriest) you take one away to do it? Who is in charge of healer enhancements?

/rant off
    Warpriest tree capstone give 100 temp hp every three seconds. Seems like an awesome ability that will vastly reduce the amount of heals you need to be casting in sub-EE content.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

I'll bite!

In a nutshell, healers are boring to play, as in really boring, stare at the health bars and miss the quest/storyline/everything-else boring. Are you see where I am going with the boring thing?
    Absolutely agree. Healers are boring. However, I love playing divines. And I will even heal while playing them!

[*]Heal over time - so the healers can cast them and do other stuff for a little bit
    Or, you know, the non-"healers" could take some responsibility for their own health by building in self-healing, playing smart, increasing their own defenses, or using tactics such as trip/sap/stun or weapons such as paralysing.

[*]"pre-heals" like temporary hitpoints for big fights, so you can buff up your main tank as people get settled in on the big fights (something like 1000 HP with a 5 minute recast at level 28 or something like that)
    How long does it take to set up? Let main tank get aggro, heals on them, rest of the party jumps in when aggro is established. Not saving a whole lot here. Temporary is temporary; you're still going to have to heal them. If you're not ready, what on earth are you doing starting the main fight?

[*]Damage reducers- temporary DR spells that allow people to take less damage allowing your healers to look away from the health bars a little bit (just enough that the healer can do other things between the big fights)
    Or, people could take responsibility for their own DR, PRR, blur/displace, ghostly, dodge. Because they're available to everyone.

[*]Offensive boosters, Force/light spell power in addition to healing boosts, add diversity to the class
    The enhancement pass already made my divines hit harder with their spells. No enhancement/feat crit chance before, plenty now. Blade Barrier and Cometfall are just chewing things up.

[*]Crowd control boosters - help out the CC spells a bit as a fast way to control things instead of just trying to heal the group out of a mess.[/LIST]
    Prayer, FvS aura, Enervation (Divine Disciple)/Energy Drain, Symbol of Death. With UMD (divine casters are nominally CHA-classes, no?), scroll Waves of Exhaustion, Hypnotism, Crushing Despair, Fear. And seriously? Divines don't have CC? Greater Command, Cometfall, Soundburst, Create Undead (mummy fear aura), Air Elemental summon, various Symbols; Smiting spells which Stun/Blind/Slow enemies of appropriate alignments with no spell pen check; and in the vein of "the best CC is a dead mob," Implosion, Destruction, Slay Living, Blade Barrier. Or (once again), the group could sap/trip/stun/paralyse so it's not relying on spammed heals to win.

Also give these pure casters two choices of casting, offensive and defensive (you had protector which was decent only to get rid of it for a melee option? isn't that called a paladin?. I like the melee option but not at the expense of the defensive casting option.
    /rant off
    Offensive and Defensive casting are already implicit in the divine spell list. There are lots of save/energy protection/immunity buffs. In the weeks since the enhancement pass, I have yet to see any serious use of the Protection tree. A good chunk of it is AC buffs so small as to be meaningless. Whee for PRR buffs, but due to the nature of the diminishing returns of the PRR curve, the benefits are minimal for the "tanks" you'd be casting on, not to mention the 33% uptime. Dinky guard damage, which only happens when your team members get hit, and whoops! Now you have to hjeal them! Eyes on redbars, emergency! Arcane Encumbrance and Dodge Elements are nice, but you will have had to put 30 points in junk in the tree before you could select them. Not to mention you have to get hit. What are you doing getting hit? You're a hjeeeeeeaaaaler!

Quick, someone needs to post a YOUR-LOOT-IS-YOUR-LOOT-EXCEPT-YOUR-LOOT-RULES-ARE-WRONG thread!
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Default This is going to be good, ok I'm ready

Hero

If developers want to promote healers, then they need to add desirable divine itemization. Epic Gauntlets of Immortality is not the right direction to draw divine casters to a raid.

DDO is overdue for items that provide bonuses to a specific faith: A longsword that's good as a standalone item, but awesome (+1 crit range, increased damage die) in the hands of a Follower of the Sovereign Host. Easily replicated for a Great Sword for Lord of Blades (the game is overdue for a new Great Sword option).

How about a Sovereign Host armor set bonus that procs a heal over time on a target that's healed, or some temporary hitpoints equal to the caster's Heal skill when a target is overhealed. For Silver Flame, proc a short duration light dot for every light spell cast on a target. For Amantour, how about procing Weaken Undead with any heavy mace wielded? For Lord of Blades, a Great Sword could build Vulnerability stacks on a target.

There's plenty of incentive the itemization team could provide to promote divines. It just hasn't been done yet.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

2014 DDO Players Council

If you don't want to be a healer, then don't. <shrug> Some people enjoy it.

There are probably hundreds of more ideas out there that would draw more people to the class and make it more than staring at health bars.
    Class? What class? I thought you were talking about the role some folks voluntarily adopt as a main task, healing people.

Though I don't personally much enjoy it, I do know several people who love being healers. Me, on the other hand, really enjoy my offensive caster Clerics or Favored Souls. And I did have a lot of fun on my one melee Cleric life, though that was a LONG time ago.

Anyway, I'm not really sure I understood your rant, because you seemed to be conflating several different unrelated things.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Anyway, I'm not really sure I understood your rant, because you seemed to be conflating several different unrelated things.
    I wasn't really "ranting", I was just throwing ideas out there (I did use "/rant off" as humor). I do dislike the new melee enhancement line replacing the Protection line and was hoping to get support on keeping both.

We all have our preferences, I am not advocating the removal of anyone's preferred build, I would just like to see some more flexibility added to the divine classes. If you like the way healers are now, great I want you to keep it the way it is. If you want to melee, great, I want you to keep the melee enhancement line.

I don't see why that precludes me from playing the class the way I see it. Having three lines of class enhancements seems like a great way to broaden the class;
    * Protection for those that want to heal and buff
    * Melee for those that want to smack things down
    * Offense for those that want to CC, Nuke and instant kill.
    Put them all together and you can mix and match to come out with the perfect build for you.

How many times have you seen whole raids waiting for healers? Give people an incentive to play them.

P.S. for those that seem to be trying to prove how uber they are by finding fault with the need for healers, I worship the ground at your uber feet. Can you please post your build so I can be just like you? Wait, I can just play WoW where we are all alike in our UBERness and nothing is a challenge.

Just because you can solo WGU on EE in 15 seconds doesn't mean that is the way all of us want to play the game. It does show that it is nether Epic nor Elite.

I want tactics and friends and class defining roles that allow us as a group to have fun and overcome challenges together that we could not otherwise overcome. All this whining about how everyone can't solo everything on EE and therefor we must dumb down the game, makes me sad.

To me, EPIC (heroic; majestic; impressively great) ELITE (representing the most choice or select; best) means you had better bring the best team there is to beat it. Where you need group strategy and every part of the whole working with one another to defeat the challenge.

The fact that most of the EE content can be soloed by my FvS, makes me long for more.
    Last edited by FURYous; 09-16-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Choler 25 Brd 2TR | Enmity 25Clr | Exasperate 20Sor | Ferocity 6Ftr 2TR | Furyous 25Art 1TR | Hiddin 20Mnk | Infuryated 6Rng 1TR | Retributive 8Dru | Vehemence 23Rog 3TRs | Vehement 10Pal 3Mnk 1Rog | Vexate 22Wiz 2TRs | Violence 28FvS Completionist 23TRs