Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I like the new(er) random equipment

As a fairly casual player, I find the new equipment interesting.
    Why all the hate?
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    1337 x Pi = 80081E5

Quote Originally Posted by khamastus View Post
    Why all the hate?
    I dunno. I find it kind of neat too. Some of the mods seem to have gone away, which is unfortunate, but there are other interesting mods that have been added. Speed, riposte, deadly, etc. Makes each chest more like christmas.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianna View Post
    I dunno. I find it kind of neat too. Some of the mods seem to have gone away, which is unfortunate, but there are other interesting mods that have been added. Speed, riposte, deadly, etc. Makes each chest more like christmas.
    Each chest feels more like Groundhog Day to me at the moment.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

Default casual

You basically answered your own question. As a casual player you have a limited number of loot to compare, but trust us heavier players when we say its the same stuff dropping over and over.

Think i did a tear of dhakkan where i got 6 or 7 nearly identical weapons, maybe keen of riposte, something like that, how many of those would i need assuming i needed any at all.

I like the new lootgen as well!

Only because of shadowfail loot being.. yeah. Few things I find interesting, but on the whole... no.

Quote Originally Posted by 01000010 View Post
    You basically answered your own question. As a casual player you have a limited number of loot to compare, but trust us heavier players when we say its the same stuff dropping over and over.

Think i did a tear of dhakkan where i got 6 or 7 nearly identical weapons, maybe keen of riposte, something like that, how many of those would i need assuming i needed any at all.

It's not the fixtures them selfs but the large quantity they appear in, and still I can't find the one I'm looking for.
    (SW Quote: "These are not the <enhancements> you're looking for".)

But true, as a ranger I like the skirmisher set.
    I like deadly and speed as well as having more options to slot fortification somewhere.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

A lot of the new stuff is way OP and makes high level named items useless.

Take for example dream visor which gives on the best EE version +5 bonus damage. (Level 25 item)

I found a level 11 or level 13 cloak that gave +6 bonus to damage (same competence bonus).

And this is just 1 of many examples.

Lots of old named items from old quests were upgraded in the past, giving them (for example) unique base damage bonus +0.5W and such to make them worth something again.

Now ANY weapon with +6 enchantment value gets +0.5W making all those named loot upgrades from the past look like wasted time for me (wasted time for the devs who upgraded the loot and wasted time for the players who got them)

Dont know....for me it looks like they have a different dev each update to work on loot and noone of them knows what the dev before them had in mind.
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

Quote Originally Posted by 01000010 View Post

I see a lot of the same stuff, but then again, over the last few years I saw a lot of the same junk too. Or stuff that was just vendor-trash. Yeah, tear of dhakkan, a few +1 true law shortswords, a +2 anarchic crossbow, +2 flaming scimitar, meh, it all just blends together after a while. It's not like loot at the low levels is every really impressive in the first place. Hell, I remember being psyched about getting a +4 flaming sword, way back when. Or when the +5 longsword from the threnal arena was THE weapon to have.

The new lootgen stuff definitely seems to be able to outshine some named items, such as the dream visor. I've found a +8 deadly visor recently, which puts the EE dream visor to shame. Though it does other stuff as well, but still, if that's what you're after random lootgen can be better.

Personally, I've never put much stock in the "must find absolute best in slot" mantra. If it's good enough, I'll use it. If I'm 3% less effective than someone else? I don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by khamastus View Post
    Why all the hate?
    Turbine had just developed a bunch of new and interesting prefixes and suffixes like Mangling, Lacerating, of the Crusader. These are currently gone and it's not clear how or if they're coming back.

Now you have cryptic loot you have to tooltip to see what it is. Why does every guard have to be Retributive instead of Ice Guard or whatever it is? Why can't I tell if something is Deadly I or Deadly VIII just by looking at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Standal View Post
    Turbine had just developed a bunch of new and interesting prefixes and suffixes like Mangling, Lacerating, of the Crusader. These are currently gone and it's not clear how or if they're coming back.

Now you have cryptic loot you have to tooltip to see what it is. Why does every guard have to be Retributive instead of Ice Guard or whatever it is? Why can't I tell if something is Deadly I or Deadly VIII just by looking at it?
    It may be that they thought it would make the names less mechanical. Deadly ring sounds nicer than ring of deadly V
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    It may be that they thought it would make the names less mechanical. Deadly ring sounds nicer than ring of deadly V
    No, Deadly V ring is much better than Deadly ring.
    Having to examine an item to see what it does is terrible.

They had gone in the right way the last few years, putting important informations either in the name or on the icon.
    Not knowing which kind of augment the item had (guild augments, but also since U17 standard augment) was already a step back in the wrong direction.
    This update's loot naming is a huge leap back, too.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterHops View Post
    Each chest feels more like Groundhog Day to me at the moment.

This is so true...

How many Deadly of Accuracy Items do I really need?

And an Eldritch Greatsword of Rapid strikes!!!!
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianna View Post
    The new lootgen stuff definitely seems to be able to outshine some named items, such as the dream visor. I've found a +8 deadly visor recently, which puts the EE dream visor to shame. Though it does other stuff as well, but still, if that's what you're after random lootgen can be better.
    And that answers the entire threads question.

DDO is about the most loot driven game I have played since EQ, and no joke that people put a lot of time into getting raid gear, for some it was an insane amount of time and money going after some items. I am not making this up when I say I know people who have run a raid hundreds of times and taken years of effort into getting some items. To then watch as some new dev puts in loot-gen that makes it so that some random chest in some random dungeon can drop some random loot that instantly invalidates all that time, effort, and money.. well.. it's pretty obvious why it was not well received by some players.
    Last edited by Ungood; 09-13-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    And that answers the entire threads question.

DDO is about the most loot driven game I have played since EQ, and no joke that people put a lot of time into getting raid gear, for some it was an insane amount of time and money going after some items. I am not making this up when I say I know people who have run a raid hundreds of times and taken years of effort into getting some items. To then watch as some new dev puts in loot-gen that makes it so that some random chest in some random dungeon can drop some random loot that instantly invalidates all that time, effort, and money.. well.. it's pretty obvious why it was not well received by some players.
    Yes and somehow this is sad. Sure it was quite some work to get for example ToD rings done or other item that where difficult due to some lottery system like the dragontouched armour. However on the other side it made sure the content was run regularly and it was easy to find a LFM for them. I mean some year ago the shattering ring from the Titan was an awesome nice item, now new player may even never have seen the Restless Isle not even to mention the Titan Raid. A lot of nice content and their items... deserted... which is a shame!

PS: And still I would like to see Mangling, Crusader and Co. back in the loot tables...
    Last edited by SisAmethyst; 09-13-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

1) Some of the new stuff is seriously OP. I have goggles with +6 to hit and +5 damage at level 17 (masterful and cursed)... insane, better than the EE visors. It makes EE named items and raid loot obsolete... that is silly.

2) Lots of the weapons are bland and boring. They're all called the same.

3) Suddenly every enchantment can be on every slot/type of weapon. Wut? Stunning dagger? Really?

4) Everything being called the same has the effect of making AH searches even more painful.

5) Addendum to 2: Lots of affixes are missing.
    It's definitely an N-word.

I don't like it, badly implemented all around. That's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    No, Deadly V ring is much better than Deadly ring.
    Having to examine an item to see what it does is terrible.

They had gone in the right way the last few years, putting important informations either in the name or on the icon.
    Not knowing which kind of augment the item had (guild augments, but also since U17 standard augment) was already a step back in the wrong direction.
    This update's loot naming is a huge leap back, too.
    Its a matter of flavor rather than mechanics. Deadly V is easier to see straight away what it does, but id like to see an artist name their painting 1.12.2012. (Unless they thought that would make them seem cool, of course) Its more like a leap sideways.

Oh, and if the effort of mousing over an item is overwhelming, one must wonder where you found the energy to quest for the item in the first place.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

The new gear offers flexibility at different slots. I like that.

I would like to see the old powerful weapon abilities like obscenity (although I sometimes wonder if those weapons ever really dropped for more than a week) re-enter the loot tables. I would especially like to see convalescent parrying bracers re-enter the loot tables, hopefully at additional item slot options.

Getting the best versions of the new gear is more difficult than people think. The expansion kicked off with a loot bonus, and the AH filled up quickly. Now the items are actually getting pricey and there are far fewer maxed versions available. Also, the best version of an item is the one that has the maxed stats AND an augment slot (possible with masterful craftsmanship), and those are legitimately rare. So no worries, grinders. There is a lot of nice stuff out there, but the really good stuff is still going to require a fair amount of work to obtain in my estimation.

Many people run Pop 50 times for that Visor, Crucible for cloak, Tor for particular helm, or other stuff to sell to get those 500 or more shards to buy it from asah.
    I did End of the road easily 40 times ( literal ransack every week ) for Nether's.
    That's why eGH was great success, it's not the only reason but it's very big plus.

There comes a new update with random loot gear that makes all gear obsolete, basically a big **** you.
    Noone is going to run older content again.

6 Tomes would be great motivation to run EE Shadowfell more often and 4 - 5 upgrade was one of the reason to run Citw or Fot too.
    No, break the raid completions / rewards, put tomes in store or for days of mindless Mabar farming, instead of you know, rewarding skill or time spend building characters, as a reward for doing something challenging.

/fml
    Last edited by Encair; 09-13-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Many people run Pop 50 times for that Visor, Crucible for cloak, Tor for particular helm, or other stuff to sell to get those 500 or more shards to buy it from asah.
    I did End of the road easily 40 times ( literal ransack every week ) for Nether's.
    That's why eGH was great success, it's not the only reason but it's very big plus.

There comes a new update with random loot gear that makes all gear obsolete, basically a big **** you.
    Noone is going to run older content again.

6 Tomes would be great motivation to run EE Shadowfell more often and 4 - 5 upgrade was one of the reason to run Citw or Fot too.
    No, break the raid completions / rewards, put tomes in store or for days of mindless Mabar farming, instead of you know, rewarding skill or time spend building characters, as a reward for doing something challenging.

/fml
    Noone? you probably mean that no endgame grindersw will run it. Some people are not motivated by potential loot on any diff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast