Default Anything in the pipeline for a sequel? Rumours?

Turbine seem to be sat on their franchises at the moment, I think DDO is due for an update to the game. 7 years is pretty long in the tooth and the game is really looking its age. Has there been any hints? Hearsay, smalltalk etc? What is Turbine working on at the moment?

afaik they are working on update 20 atm with iconic TR and stuff like that

my guess would be that a DDO2 wont come out soon if ever since DDO is still running like a charm (money wise)

never change a running system

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hucka View Post
    The Devs are definitely changing much of the running system (whether it needs it or not), example Secret Doors. But I agree with your point that DDO2 won't happen until the money dries up for the current DDO.

Default hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by hucka View Post
    afaik they are working on update 20 atm with iconic TR and stuff like that

my guess would be that a DDO2 wont come out soon if ever since DDO is still running like a charm (money wise)

Plus wouldn't they need to get Wizards of the coast's permission to license DnD again since it would be a whole new project? That was part of the lawsuit correct?
    Lightsocket, Lightarrow, Lighter, Lighttank, Lightzapper
    Lightmeup, Lightsage, Lightemup, Lightrock, Lightbright, Lightsurge, Lightmaker, Lightbeam, Lightmist

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by cnynridr2 View Post
    Plus wouldn't they need to get Wizards of the coast's permission to license DnD again since it would be a whole new project? That was part of the lawsuit correct?
    The license is up in 2015, I believe. My guess is that it will be extended to keep DDO going, at a minimum. You don't throw away a relationship with WB that easily. Perhaps they will demand some further concessions or marketing.

If a DDO2 is announced, and if division Turbine of WB is developing it, it is likely in progress now and by the time you hear whipsers of it, a fair amount of work has been done. That being said, given DDOs inability to not even dent the WoW market, I am not sure D&D is the right brand to go after WoW. I think DDO is closer and better off trying to finally finagle permission to do a Harry Potter MMO; the upside for that would be significant, I think.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12!! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk6 View Post
    Turbine seem to be sat on their franchises at the moment, I think DDO is due for an update to the game. 7 years is pretty long in the tooth and the game is really looking its age. Has there been any hints? Hearsay, smalltalk etc? What is Turbine working on at the moment?
    Looking its age? Not sure bout that - while my GF, peeking over my shoulder, did said how ugly marketplace is, she peaked over my shoulder few days after that statement whie I was running in FR and asked me if that is sequel to the game I was palying few days ago, because the graphics looked so much better. So, it seems there is definitely some progress right there :-)

Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    Looking its age? Not sure bout that - while my GF, peeking over my shoulder, did said how ugly marketplace is, she peaked over my shoulder few days after that statement whie I was running in FR and asked me if that is sequel to the game I was palying few days ago, because the graphics looked so much better. So, it seems there is definitely some progress right there :-)

See there, all you FR-haters? Another point in favor of the Realms: Even the graphics are better there!
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

What's with all the graphics ..... lovers.

still one of the best games ever made along with the original zelda.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    What's with all the graphics ..... lovers.

still one of the best games ever made along with the original zelda.
    Whilst this is true, Super Metroid was better.

Ah the SNES...
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Default Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Here's my pipe dream for a sequel:

AD&D Online

Developed & produced by somebody who's not Turbine. Who? I don't know, but it needs to be somebody with the knowledge and realization that there are too many WoW clones designed for the... *ahem*... simple(ton) game player to try and take a bite out of that market.

Instead it needs to be the game you don't "cut your teeth on," designed and billed as the "big league" of online gaming where those other guys are just the farm teams. Something truer to the lore & traditions of pre-4e D&D that rewards both effort and creativity in character design. Hence, the moniker Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Maintain an active combat feel, give it rich visual customization and have a "box of Leggos" approach to character design.

I know, I know... That's why I called it a pipe dream. But IMHO, in order to be a success it would have to appeal to all the players of the many different games DDO is currently devolving to emulate, who are looking for something more, instead of trying to lure them away from where they are by offering more of what they already have.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk6 View Post
    That would be sweet.
    But don't hold your breath.
    And have you ran the Storm Horns yet? Talk about crisp.
    They did some very fine work there.

Default still

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    See there, all you FR-haters? Another point in favor of the Realms: Even the graphics are better there!
    Still bad writting, still bad loot system, etc

Though it does show how much they can squeeze out of an old engine graphically speaking.

WotC/WB will most likely not opt for this DDO2, WotC will opt for their newest game system by then. (5.0/6.0?)
    WB just got DDO in a package deal to gain LotRO.

There already exist a newer (&soulless) DnD MMO, it's Neverwinter.

It's highly unlikely to see them spring for a new DDO.

The closest thing might be Pathfinder, they work with a rule set similar to 3,5 the system DDO was based of.

newer wasn't always better:
    Sonic 2/ Sonic3&Knuckles was way better then Sonic 06.

on the other hand...
    Castlevania 2 vs Castlevania 4 is a wholle different story.

The problem with Neverwinter and DDO of late is that they forget what does work in the attempt to try something new and not learning from that mistake.
    Moving away is bold but if you're bleeding peeps and your only way of compensating is shards/boxes etc, making it look like a last minute cash grab before the lights go out, instead of listening and learning from your customers will result in a player base who won't take you serious next game around.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Here's my pipe dream for a sequel:

AD&D Online

Developed & produced by somebody who's not Turbine. Who? I don't know, but it needs to be somebody with the knowledge and realization that there are too many WoW clones designed for the... *ahem*... simple(ton) game player to try and take a bite out of that market.

Instead it needs to be the game you don't "cut your teeth on," designed and billed as the "big league" of online gaming where those other guys are just the farm teams. Something truer to the lore & traditions of pre-3e AD&D that rewards both effort and creativity in character design. Hence, the moniker Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Maintain an active combat feel, give it rich visual customization and have a "box of Leggos" approach to character design.

I know, I know... That's why I called it a pipe dream. But IMHO, in order to be a success it would have to appeal to all the players of the many different games DDO is currently devolving to emulate, who are looking for something more, instead of trying to lure them away from where they are by offering more of what they already have.
    I like your idea! But FTFY
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.