Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by psteen1 View Post
    You are right. Next to a randomly generated item that gives you +11 damage, who cares about a +6 strength tome?
    But what caster isn't going to care about a +6 INT tome. That is +3 stacking DC right there (assuming no tomes of course).

How about a +6 Con tome. even if you are rolling on a +4 that is still 28 HP and if your toon's only got a +2 you are looking at 56. Either of which is nothing to sniff your nose at.

And if you use this in a spot that doesn't have a tome at all (and there are still plenty of people out there in that boat) the benefit could be quite substantial. I know my AA-Assassin has eaten a +1 Int tome I found lying around that just put him on an odd INT... for him that +6 tome to int is +3 DC to assassinate straight up.

So yes compared to some of the rangen loot it's lack luster in certain situation but in many other cases if could be quite a boon.

As for power creep ... well I give up on it honestly, might as well toss in some +10 tomes even, I mean really that's only a +5 off of base and short of DC's that's easy to find for most other combat oriented things.

I don't know why all the drama for +6 tomes, they are mentioned in the original 3.5 Players Manual and that only covers up to level 20.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I don't know why all the drama for +6 tomes, they are mentioned in the original 3.5 Players Manual and that only covers up to level 20.
    The only drama I'm seeing is you guys throwing a preemptive fit that someone might complain...

I think most people are excited that there's going to be something interesting to pick up at Mabar.
    Gildus, Sabathiel, Einion, Yhvain

Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    inb4 a bunch of alarmists scream power creep like they do every single time.

Go do the math. This is nothing.
    Why? Cap will eventually be 30 so it will even out in the end. With level 28 now, releasing +6 tomes is fine and you won't get that +1 more than what we have currently until early 20s if you TR.

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    Does the description say "can only be used once per character?"

i.e. you can only earn a single +6?
    This right here nullifies any argument of power creep. Seriously, if you have a +5 tome this just means you can pump whatever dc you want up by another 1. Yes that may be all some builds need, but in the end it's literally 1 point higher than what we have now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    This right here nullifies any argument of power creep. Seriously, if you have a +5 tome this just means you can pump whatever dc you want up by another 1. Yes that may be all some builds need, but in the end it's literally 1 point higher than what we have now.
    And if it qualifies you for Overwhelming Critical, Vorpal Strikes or Epic Toughness?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    And if it qualifies you for Overwhelming Critical, Vorpal Strikes or Epic Toughness?
    Then you get to have one of those. However judging from how the normal tomes are, wouldn't you not be able to take this until like level 23 or so? That's WAY late in the overall scheme of things. Plus it only qualifies you for 1 of them.

Me personally, I'm more interested in the free +5 tome. The +6 just puts the one stat I would want it for at an odd number until I can figure out where to slot +3 ins wis and then somehow in the next 10 years pull a Litany. Other than that it's just a convenient item to use.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

No please. What is an Ability tome? Stat or skill?
    Last edited by zDragonz; 09-13-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    they should never be earned with an Event( this is easy button), no matter how fun it is! It is pike.

Reserve the stat tomes for Raids (Earned).
    Last edited by zDragonz; 09-13-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serapis View Post
    I wonder how hard (or laggy) it will be to get these new tokens for the tomes (a new pumpkin trader right outside the graveyard on lammania)... definitely more reason to battle the lag at least!
    Are you talking stat or skill? This thread is going no where, everyone is confused. I am reading statements from both sides. some this is stat, some think skill. Why did you use the word Ability? Ability is no where to be found in a tome, it is either stat or skill, please be specific.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 09-13-2013 at 05:30 PM.

I think this is a drunk thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    But what caster isn't going to care about a +6 INT tome. That is +3 stacking DC right there (assuming no tomes of course).
    Huh? this is a contradiction. Do you mean skill tomes?

The word tome is used twice and is used to add +3 but then assumes nothing ..... so what you're saying is +3 -3 is zero. This is what makes no sense here.

What are you saying?
    Last edited by zDragonz; 09-13-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    Huh? this is a contradiction. Do you mean skill tomes?

The word tome is used twice and is used to add +3 but then assumes nothing ..... so what you're saying is +3 -3 is zero. This is what makes no sense here.

What are you saying?
    Assuming you have no tomes that affect INT stat, a +6 INT tome would be a +3 DC to a wizard/arty etc.

After thinking about it, I personally believe that the +6 tomes should stay.. but be limited to 1/account/server.. ever. It gives you the chance to get your favorite character the chance to excel in 1 stat more than you ever thought possible. I say bring it back with Mabar every year, letting new people get the +6 tome of their choice for their favorite characters. Since it is only 1/acct then most likely builds will not plan for it, except maybe some completionist builds for final lives. Yes, choosing a character and stat for it is a very important decision (I know which char I will choose, my main Selee, but choosing between CHA and CON for a sorc... ouch). As long as they are not released as raid loot or general drop tables, this is fine in my book.

Devs, please be absolutely clear whether this +6 tome is a once-only thing or something we will see in loot tables (and god forbid the store) later..
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    No please. What is an Ability tome? Stat or skill?
    Ability tomes apply to stats. A modifier for a stat is +1 for every even number over 10, and the modifiers are added to relevant skills and DC's. This is how a +6 Int tome can add +3 to Int-based DC's.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    Does the description say "can only be used once per character?"

i.e. you can only earn a single +6?
    Is it like one per character EVER? Or perhaps one per character per life, like the +2's from the Drow elder?

Just wondering whether a character near 20 could earn a +5 and +6, eat them, then TR and run Mabar for another +5 and +6.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

When do the +8's go on sale? Plz ty.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    Devs, please be absolutely clear whether this +6 tome is a once-only thing or something we will see in loot tables (and god forbid the store) later..
    Wish they WERE put into the store.

I hate lagbar, and I will probably have very little time to play this year.

Not to mention my tr isn't ready for those levels yet.

Please add these tomes to loot tables and/or ddo store, turbine.

Those of us who hate lag-bar and don't have time for a once yearly event will thank you.

With our wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    After thinking about it, I personally believe that the +6 tomes should stay.. but be limited to 1/account/server.. ever. It gives you the chance to get your favorite character the chance to excel in 1 stat more than you ever thought possible. I say bring it back with Mabar every year, letting new people get the +6 tome of their choice for their favorite characters. Since it is only 1/acct then most likely builds will not plan for it, except maybe some completionist builds for final lives. Yes, choosing a character and stat for it is a very important decision (I know which char I will choose, my main Selee, but choosing between CHA and CON for a sorc... ouch). As long as they are not released as raid loot or general drop tables, this is fine in my book.

I think we can safely assume what the future will hold with +6 tomes. as one who is against P2W, I see no problem with this or how they are doing it. when they are for sale in the store, you better believe I will be all over that discussion. at least this way they are releasing these in game first and having to actually play to acquire them. I really don't see the big deal about 1 per character. soon enough they will be dropping in content anyways. we knew this day would come.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I think we can safely assume what the future will hold with +6 tomes. as one who is against P2W, I see no problem with this or how they are doing it. when they are for sale in the store, you better believe I will be all over that discussion. at least this way they are releasing these in game first and having to actually play to acquire them. I really don't see the big deal about 1 per character. soon enough they will be dropping in content anyways. we knew this day would come.
    Does it really matter how high the stat tomes go, since they are a metered buff?

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast