Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loot Inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Not quite....
    Believe me, I understand your argument. In past, I've had friends who spent lavish amounts on MtG. They loved those things. One bought his way through two years of college by unloading some of his choicest decks - only time I ever saw him shed a tear.

I don't think Gremmlynn was being deliberately dismissive of anyone's feelings, although I see how his comments could be taken that way. His point about having a different perspective on the situation is valid, and in some ways a bit more healthy than many alternatives from a stress-inducing standpoint. He was, however, wittingly obtuse for his last few posts.

My take on the whole affair is this -

Once I had a bicycle which I scrimped and saved to get. It was a really nice bike and it got me where I wanted or needed to be. That bike meant freedom and I enjoyed the hell out of what it offered. Then life kept on going, the years added up, and the DM (aka parents) said I could get a car. It wasn't the best car (no, it was not), but it got me where I wanted or needed to be much faster than my bike, which was left in the garage, slowly declining into disrepair.

I don't consider the time and effort spent to obtain my bike to have been wasted once I was able to get that beater of a car. The game (society) said I could get the car where once that was not possible, so I did. There may be a day in my lifetime when I'll have to go back to using a bike given changes in the rules - gas prices, carbon taxes, climate change, what have you. Things change. I'll adapt as the alternative is to not play the game which, unlike with DDO, means I'm out for good. And no, you can't haz my stuffz.

Well, that's my take. I know yours is different and that's totally cool. The world is big enough to accommodate both.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    However ultimately I have to ask players like ungood this, if LOOT is the only reason to run content at all, why even play.
    Good question, I'll have an answer for you later.

Community Member

Well, my opinion on the current state of loot affairs:

I think Raid loot and rare quest end/named loot should ALWAYS be a (at least) a little bit better than random loot of the same level. Whether that means the named loot as a lower min lvl or an additional slot, suffix, prefix, base damage or some other effect is secondary.

So if random loot gets more powerful, the old Raid/named loot should be adjusted accordingly to keep the power difference (and the ability to put it in a stone of change to upgrade old versions to actual versions). Unfortunately that is not happening with all items.

If the old Raid and named loot would be brought up to par with the random loot, the problem would be mostly solved, I think.

I also think that upgrading the options for Cannith crafting to be up to par with random loot should be an obvious move.

Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    However ultimately I have to ask players like ungood this, if LOOT is the only reason to run content at all, why even play. As it implied you dont really enjoy running the content. Personally if it is old content I know to well I am rather glad the gear in it is optional so I dont have to be forced to run content I really cant enjoy anymore.
    This too is a misnomer.

I enjoy content for 2 main reasons. The first of course is exp, after all I enjoy the whole TR process and typically end each life with a near 300 streak and around 4K favor, because I enjoy doing each quest once on elite for optimal exp and favor, and in many ways it removes the tedium of the leveling process, because I am not ever doing the same quest time and time again to grind out levels. I am slowly progressing up a leveling ladder at a pace and in a method that is fun for me. The Second reason I run content is for loot. I have other motives from time to time,they typically involve the social aspect of the game, like helping a guild mate flag, or getting a quest done with a friend to help them out with some task or another, normally loot or exp is involved as a motivator, if not directly my loot or exp. Like helping guild mates or friends get epic tokens, flagged for raids, that last bubble before their next level, etc, etc, etc. Even if I have no reason to be doing that quest this side of the dirt pile, I am there to help them. Sure I get stuff out of it, there is always some loot to be had, but mainly I am there for because they are my friend.

Now with that put out, I believe (because of how I play) that the first time content is run, is typically for the exp, given first boons, bravery, streak, and all the benefits of first time completions, it makes the most sense that any quest you run, the first time the principal motive is of course exp. If you get loot beyond the standard that would fall, then bonus, but that is not what is the initial goal of doing the content the first time.

However, at the same time, the biggest motive behind doing content more then once is to farm it. Be that farm for Loot or Exp, it is still a farm none the less. Now, since only a small percent of the quests in the game fall into the "good enough to exp farm", and not many LFM's are friendly to strangers or less then optimal players when an EXP farm is going on, that means the vast majority of the content is being made open to general puggers is normally loot runs.

Now, while I could be wrong, I believe that the reduction in the desirability of the loot that can drop has in fact impacted a lot of the quests that get run, because, for a farmer, while it may be their 15th time doing the quest but for the random pugger that got accept with no gear/skill check it very well may be their first and they are there for the EXP, hence why they are not motivated by the loot and willing to pass to the farmer. In return for this exchange the farmer is willing to not only accept an totally unknown player, but to some degree willing to put up with any mistakes they can make like dying horribly to every trap and mob, and in extreme cases be willing to carry them to the end of the quest just for the extra hand in the box. But these loot farmers make up more LFM's and more exp open to the majority of the players, with less restrictions. IE: bauble reserved, your competency is irrelevant.

Now, when you remove that desire to replay content by eliminating the incentive to run it for more then just that exp, you inherently reduce the volume of LFM's out there. On top of that you also create a reduction in the volume of players that are willing to take risks with exp losses due to accepting unknowns into their group. So by removing the loot farm motive, you pretty much stab a knife into a chunk of what made up a large part of the social aspect of the game.

I myself had joined many loot runs and in doing so, made quite a few friends along the way, people who were happy that I did indeed pass the loot, people who were impressed that I held my own in their loot/zerg run, etc, it was a great way to measure up people without needing to worry if they could or could not keep up.

I gotta be honest tho, I am not going to re-farm my gear, I am going to stay with what I have, if it's ****, then meh, it's ****, it served me the last 6 lives, it should still be fine if not optimal anymore, I will of course pick up a few new baubles as they present themselves as I TR and level back up again. But in a way, I guess my outrage is not that my loot got hurt, I mean it's annoying, and it's really rough on me because I am a total loot ***** when it comes to named items, and this change has been forcing me to let go of more and more stuff, and that is not fun for me.

But that aside, I guess what annoys me the most is that is changes the community, things that used to open doors and help a casual-noob run with a super-vet in a low pressure situation like loot runs are simply not happening as much anymore, and that hurts the new players, the casuals, and because of how this change was done, the vets as well in the process.

I am glad some people are excited once again about popping random boxes in typical quests, are you as equally excited about putting up an LFM and saying all welcome to have 5 other people help you get to that chest?

To each there own on the game, for me, I had wondered why this change outraged me so much, but as I see it, it is just another stab into one of the more easy going group social activities of this game, the Loot Run.

Thanks for asking this question, in many ways, trying to answer it to you, helped me answer for myself why this annoyed me so much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123