Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by uncleblue View Post
    Anyone else noticing these trends?

1. The more hours you play, the more likely you are to avoid Pugs. The less hours you play, the more likely you are to pug.

2. The more of a power-gamer you are, the less likely you will pug, and more likely you will solo.

I am thinking that people with a lot of free time to play, and a lot of ambition to excel, are just more anti-social, and less likely to tolerate the mistakes/noob-ness/slow pace of others.

Which is funny, because these people have the most time available, and the most knowledge to share.

Kinda depressing, really, but an accurate mirror of real life, as well.
    I'd say it just shows more that they take the game more seriously than anything about being anti-social.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahiz View Post
    Reading the forums I´ve come to know many of you, but I am curious and would like to know what kind of players you really are with a couple of simple questions. By no means this intend to be scientific, but if a decent amount of forumites answer, we can get an idea of the DDO population actual preferences, gaming style, etc. (to be honest, forumites are not the actual DDO population, but it´s the best we can aim at).

I´ve just thought of these 5 questions. There could be more, there could be better. But these are the ones I´ve come up with during lunch:

1) Average number of hours per week playing DDO for the last 6 months.
    2) Favorite class and second favorite class (not specific builds, just classes: sorc, bard, barb, etc.)
    3) Which gaming style do you prefer: endgame, TRing, or just leveling without any of the previous 2 in mind.
    4) Do you mostly: solo, pug or guild/channel/static
    5) How would you rate yourself from: 1 being a casual player (fantasy/d&d settings fan, enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, min/maxing, aiming for the best gear only, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "Most of all I enjoy a good story/fantasy setting, but I also enjoy building a solid character and don't disregard farming for decent gear now and then". 3 is "Most of all I enjoy power gaming, but I do appreciate a good story/fantasy setting". Please, no "in between"/compromise answers: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.

I hope you like the idea. I´ll post the results if we ever reach, say, ¿50 answers?

1) 10 hours a week (Sometimes it is more, sometimes it is less, but this is the average now)
    2) First place: Dwarf Tank. Second place: Dwarf hunter
    3) Just levelling
    4) Guild and with a few friends
    5) 2 (I love a good atmosphere, a mean looking dragon, but I play to have decent characters too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tr?*lesch View Post
    1) 10 hours a week (Sometimes it is more, sometimes it is less, but this is the average now)
    2) First place: Dwarf Tank. Second place: Dwarf hunter
    3) Just levelling
    4) Guild and with a few friends
    5) 2 (I love a good atmosphere, a mean looking dragon, but I play to have decent characters too.
    Dwarf hunter?!?!

Hunting Dwarfs is wrong!!!

Ok, if they're Duergar I guess it's ok to kill em.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Only about 10 or so right now to busy with my MS and job hunting, anyone know of a safety position?

2) Favorite class and second favorite class (not specific builds, just classes: sorc, bard, barb, etc.)

Monk and Paladin.

3) Which gaming style do you prefer: endgame, TRing, or just leveling without any of the previous 2 in mind.

Just leveling as I play

Would prefer to do guild but hours are wrong so I pug and meet mostly great people.

5) How would you rate yourself from: 1 being a casual player (fantasy/d&d settings fan, enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, min/maxing, aiming for the best gear only, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "Most of all I enjoy a good story/fantasy setting, but I also enjoy building a solid character and don't disregard farming for decent gear now and then". 3 is "Most of all I enjoy power gaming, but I do appreciate a good story/fantasy setting". Please, no "in between"/compromise answers: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.

I would have to say 2 I do enjoy a good story and setting but I dont mind working to improve my character now and then

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

5-6 hours

Druid, Barbarian

TR

PUG > solo > guild

1) About 9 hours a week; much more on weekends.
    2) 1st = Arti; 2nd = Monk
    3) I prefer the Epic content
    4) Solo definitely. I may group up with some guildies now and again but mostly solo. The only time I'll pug is for the raids, for obvious reasons.
    5) I'd rate myself a 3.

I'd say round 20-30 hours/week

Sorc first, second would be Arti

Endgame; though it doesn't have THAT much content, hopefully it will change with time.

4) Do you mostly: solo, pug or guild/channel

99% PUGing, 1% guild and never solo

5) How would you rate yourself from 1 being a casual player (enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, min/max character customization to the best possible, aiming for the best gear, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "i´m a casual player but like to get some power too, you know". 3 is "I am a power gamer but I don´t mind a good story, you know". Yes there is no "in between" answer: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.

That would be a 2; 2.5 would be more accurate though. I loath farming and grinding (though I occasionally do it for gear only and to a limit) and I can't stand playing a gimp character.
    Last edited by Vallar; 09-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    I am the architect of my own destruction...

How to Group With Clerics

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    Dwarf hunter?!?!

Where do you think Dorf Bacon comes from?

Community Member

Reading the forums I´ve come to know many of you, but I am curious and would like to know what kind of players you really are with a couple of simple questions. By no means this intend to be scientific, but if a decent amount of forumites answer, we can get an idea of the DDO population actual preferences, gaming style, etc. (to be honest, forumites are not the actual DDO population, but it´s the best we can aim at).

I´ve just thought of these 5 questions. There could be more, there could be better. But these are the ones I´ve come up with during lunch:

I´ll start. The parenthesis are just clarifications, and not necessary in your own answers.

2) First place: wizzies. Second place: bards (yes, there are more I like, but these are the first 2)
    3) Just levelling (though I do have a character at lev25 and a couple of TRs)
    4) Solo (though I used to pug a lot and recently entered an awesome guild, so I hope this will change soon)
    5) 2 (I love a good atmosphere, a mean looking dragon, but I play to have decent characters too. I was tempted to answer 3, but in the end I think a quest is great for its story more than for its loot/xp)

I hope you like the idea. I´ll post the results if we ever reach, say, ¿50 answers?
    1. about 10-20 hrs a week.
    2.sorc/wizzie,then ranger
    3.just lvling/endgame
    4.guild-channel-pug,(wherever i can find people,i wont solo,if i cant find groups i wont play,i dont play mmos to play by myself :P)
    5.2(i enjoy playing the game for playing the game,my opinion is too many play like its a job,wheres the fun in that?i absolutly dispise farming and zerging,but will, occasionally if i really want a piece of loot or cant find a grp otherwise)

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

1) Over last six months, about 10 hours a week. Lately it dropped to maybe 5 hours a week (girlfriend moved in).
    2) First place: ranger. Second place: bard
    3) Just leveling. Have a level 24 bard who will TR as soon as my third-life ranger hits 20. That way I have at least one character who can run epics.
    4) About 50% solo, 25% pug, 25% guild.
    5) 2
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    I always thought Dwarf Bacon was something Dwarfs ate, made out of Orcs. I mean, Orcs have those piggy kinda faces....well they used to, anyway, before WotC came along and changed them to look like some kinda jacked-up 1950s Hollywood movie wolfman....

*EDIT* (cracks whip) Back on Topic! Or no Bacon for you!!
    Last edited by Philibusta; 09-13-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Hm, during the last six months? Well, I hadn't been playing much at all until the last month or so, so averaging it out, maybe 2-3 hours a week. In the last month, probably 20-25.

Bard! Bard bard bardity bard bard BARD!

Adventuring and leveling. Don't TR, don't really raid much at all.

A mix of soloing and grouping, though when it comes to quests I haven't done before I prefer to do them solo, so I can go as slowly as I like and poke around.

5) How would you rate yourself from: 1 being a casual player (fantasy/d&d settings fan, enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, aiming for the best gear only, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "Most of all I enjoy a good story/fantasy setting, but I also enjoy building a solid character and don't disregard farming for decent gear now and then". 3 is "Most of all I enjoy power gaming, but I do appreciate a good story/fantasy setting". Please, no "in between"/compromise answers: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.
    But...in between answers are what I'm best at! I'd probably have to pick 2, though. Maybe.

Oh, and: Bard. Just because it's fun to say. Bard. Bard. Bard.

1) 2 – 4 hour per night, and on weekends depending on what is going on at home.
    2) Favorite class is wizard. Second-favorite is rogue.
    3) I don’t have a preference. Fun is fun no matter how it is sliced.
    4) I mostly PUG. Nowadays I run with people who know me, and despite that like running with me.
    5) I’d be a #2 (which is that The_Troll would say about me).

Thumbs up

All right! We have reached 45 answers. I`ll wait till tomorrow afternoon to post some results, in case somebody else wants to participate.

Thumbs up DDO poll results

Thanks all for your contribution! Here are some simple results (averages and distributions). By no means these are representative of the DDO population, not even of the DDO Forum population. 61 people answered (they were not selected in any way) and I made some simple distributions with the results. So no conclusions with the label of "truth" can be made. But hey, it is fun all the same and we can take some hints.

Some "methodological" notes first. When there was no definite numerical answer, I infered it from the text, if it was at all possible. When there were contradictions, I decided with my best judgement (I made the poll, so I get to decide . The self definitions are subjective and a approximation. Now that you read them for a second time, you may want to change the answers. It`s not big deal, so I won`t be making any changes. Neither I`ll be making any corrections if you find a mistake (except if it is really a big one). It`s just a fun poll. When ranking the fav classes, I gave 2 points to the first pick and 1 to the second (no extra points were given for selecting only just one class). On the "grouping", I simplified static/guild/channel as "acquaintances", meaning you quest with someone you "know" (or at least dont pick up randomly on a pug). Finally, since the "self definition" question didn`t make many results for the extreme categories (1 and 4), I just simplified the analisys for: whole sample, "casual gamers" (groups 1&2) and "power gamers" (groups 3&4).

In this link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-UN...it?usp=sharing you can find the base made from the 61 forumites, the tables with the distributions, and its graphics. You can play with them all you want. (Hope it works, first time I link something like this).

Last but not least, there were a lot of answers that made me think: "I should find out if this guy plays in G-land to quest with him". You need no statistics to find out who they are for yourselves. Just read the thread!
    Last edited by Nahiz; 09-18-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Updated results

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

5) How would you rate yourself from: 1 being a casual player (fantasy/d&d settings fan, enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, aiming for the best gear only, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "Most of all I enjoy a good story/fantasy setting, but I also enjoy building a solid character and don't disregard farming for decent gear now and then". 3 is "Most of all I enjoy power gaming, but I do appreciate a good story/fantasy setting". Please, no "in between"/compromise answers: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.
    1. 3-4 hours a day, if and when I'm able to log in, which with my connection isn't as often as I'd like.
    2. Ranger. Ranger. Ranger. Are there other classes?
    3. Endgame. It takes me to long to TR with my connection issues, so Endgame is a better environment for me.
    4. Guild/Channel/Static first, PUG if that fails, solo if PUG fails.
    5. Despite what you want me to say, I'm in the grey area between your answers here. Before I started playing DDO I was, and still am an Avid RPG player, so the story certainly appeals to me, but it takes a bit of a back seat in DDO where building my toon and perfecting my build and playstyle come before enjoying the story.(I get around to the story eventually.) But even before that, I play to have fun with my friends.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

1. 49-70 Hrs/Week - 7-10/day

2. I'd have to say Cleric and Fighter with Paladin in 3rd Place

3. Just Levelling - With over 40 alts I've been playing 3 years + now and still only have ONE Character on 3rd Life.
    End-Game is totally out!

4. Mostly Solo - If I Pug it's as Leader 90% of the time.

5. Gonna have to say 2.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

I´ll start. The parenthesis are just clarifications, and not necessary in your own answers.

2) First place: wizzies. Second place: bards (yes, there are more I like, but these are the first 2)
    3) Just levelling (though I do have a character at lev25 and a couple of TRs)
    4) Solo (though I used to pug a lot and recently entered an awesome guild, so I hope this will change soon)
    5) 2 (I love a good atmosphere, a mean looking dragon, but I play to have decent characters too. I was tempted to answer 3, but in the end I think a quest is great for its story more than for its loot/xp)

1. 30 hours per week. During events that number spikes up gigantanormously. Like the upcoming Mabar, the number will be much higher, unless I once again tire of running Mabar with the 23 other non-communicative, no planning pikers.

2. First Place: Human Clerics Second Place: Warforged Sorcerors

3. I level characters. When I first started I had to get to the max level, so I could get the uber loot. Then I got bored of running the RAIDS every three days. I could not run another shroud after doing just that for one year.

4. SOLO. I am my own guild. No guild drama for me. Personally, I think guilds ruined the game. If you are not in a level 80 or higher guild, you do not get all the uber buffs that basically make the heroic game a joke.

5. I am a 3.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    Dwarf hunter?!?!

Yep killing dwarves and elves is wrong!!! But if they are dark skinned its all good!!!

Ok that might be a bit too much.........but isn't the game world that most of DDO is based in, not so generic with the good/neutral/evil races? As in alignment has less to do with race, and they are a bit more realistic with alignment stuff?

Anyway thread derail........after the pass I feel that both my bards got more powerful and more versatile on the whole, I guess maybe because neither of them was a virt? But I do hate the version of the capering song its terrible and could do with some love, and I do think bards could do with a little more love as well, but they got better not worse...........generally.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast