Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What kind of player are you? simple poll

Updated results (18/09/2013 - 61 cases): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-UN...it?usp=sharing

For some "methodological" notes, see post #56

If you want to participate, please keep on reading...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading the forums I´ve come to know many of you, but I am curious and would like to know what kind of players you really are with a couple of simple questions. By no means this intend to be scientific, but if a decent amount of forumites answer, we can get an idea of the DDO population actual preferences, gaming style, etc. (to be honest, forumites are not the actual DDO population, but it´s the best we can aim at).

I´ve just thought of these 5 questions. There could be more, there could be better. But these are the ones I´ve come up with during lunch:

1) Average number of hours per week playing DDO for the last 6 months.
    2) Favorite class and second favorite class (not specific builds, just classes: sorc, bard, barb, etc.)
    3) Which gaming style do you prefer: endgame, TRing, or just leveling without any of the previous 2 in mind.
    4) Do you mostly: solo, pug or guild/channel/static
    5) How would you rate yourself from: 1 being a casual player (fantasy/d&d settings fan, enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, aiming for the best gear only, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "Most of all I enjoy a good story/fantasy setting, but I also enjoy building a solid character and don't disregard farming for decent gear now and then". 3 is "Most of all I enjoy power gaming, but I do appreciate a good story/fantasy setting". Please, no "in between"/compromise answers: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.

I´ll start. The parenthesis are just clarifications, and not necessary in your own answers.

1) 10 hours a week (Sometimes it is more, sometimes it is less, but this is the average now)
    2) First place: wizzies. Second place: bards (yes, there are more I like, but these are the first 2)
    3) Just levelling (though I do have a character at lev25 and a couple of TRs)
    4) Solo (though I used to pug a lot and recently entered an awesome guild, so I hope this will change soon)
    5) 2 (I love a good atmosphere, a mean looking dragon, but I play to have decent characters too. I was tempted to answer 3, but in the end I think a quest is great for its story more than for its loot/xp)

I hope you like the idea.
    Last edited by Nahiz; 09-18-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Updated results

Quote Originally Posted by Nahiz View Post

2) Favorite class and second favorite class (not specific builds, just classes: sorc, bard, barb, etc.)
    3) Which gaming style do you prefer: endgame, TRing, or just leveling without any of the previous 2 in mind.
    4) Do you mostly: solo, pug or guild/channel
    5) How would you rate yourself from 1 being a casual player (enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, min/max character customization to the best possible, aiming for the best gear, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "i´m a casual player but like to get some power too, you know". 3 is "I am a power gamer but I don´t mind a good story, you know". Yes there is no "in between" answer: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.
    1. about 2-4 hours of actual questing a week night. Add in some other time for AH stuff, BSing with people, and sneak-humping random strangers in the harbor. Weekends are sometimes zero hours and sometimes a complete binge depending on what else is gong on.

2. Ranger is favorite. Second favorite is Wizard.

3. I prefer end-game but still do between 5-10 TRs a year.

4. Mostly guild/channel then pug. I rarely get the opportunity to solo.

5. On a scale of 1-4 I'm an 11. Though I do not power-level on heroic, generally repeat nothing on a TR.

Six months ago probably 3-5 nightly, lately 1-2 every few days.

Arti, Druid

Endgame (ie raids)

Guild/channel>solo>pug

5) How would you rate yourself from 1 being a casual player (enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, min/max character customization to the best possible, aiming for the best gear, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "i´m a casual player but like to get some power too, you know". 3 is "I am a power gamer but I don´t mind a good story, you know". Yes there is no "in between" answer: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.

4 but not oppossed to experimental builds that may end badly at times.

Re
    1) Around 30 hours per week
    2) Monk, Ranger
    3) I enjoy epic play most
    4) Solo or guild about 50/50
    5) 3?

3.5 hours every week night

Wizard and Cleric

It is simply questing - XP, Endgame and Loot don't have as much a factor as just the shear fun of starting an adventure and seeing it to completion

PuG - but to clarify I'm usually running with a few guild mates and we open our group up for others to join us.

2.5 - I don't take this game serious enough to be a job, but I do like me some serious power {Insert Tim Allen Grunt here}

I've play maybe 10-15 hours a week for the past two years. That's down dramatically from the years prior to that.

I don't really have one. I tend to prefer builds and classes that can be self-sufficient, however.

Just leveling. Most "end-game" content with the endless repetition grinding out EDs or just the right gear got really tiresome and dull. I don't even bother to grind for most things anymore unless I can have fun doing it. If I don't find it fun, I just won't waste my time.
    I loathe TRing.

Mostly solo nowadays, for about the past two to three years or so.

I used to love to PUG, particularly at low levels - but Turbine has made too many disincentives to PUG at all, and now I typically don't bother to even open the LFM panel. The pendulum has swung very far in the direction of solo play.

By this scale a 2.
    I prefer to think of it as Business Casual.

1. I'd say ~30/week, factoring in breaks.
    2. Prefer to multiclass. Favourites would be Ranger and Monk, but I'm really loving this Druid I'm working on at the moment...
    3. I keep characters available for endgame/raiding while TRing others, but being that there really isn't any endgame at this point in the game's development, I prefer serial TRing, while getting a bit of destiny XP every life.
    4. Mostly solo. Will join guild and channel groups occasionally, and very, very rarely a PUG.
    5. 3.5 Sorry, your scale is too limiting. I'm not a min-maxer, I don't cap a TR2+ in five days, but I've been through most of the game enough times where the story is just something to click through, and most of my "flavour" builds and items have been cast aside for more effective things.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I prefer to think of it as Business Casual.
    /win thread

10 or so.

Bard, Artificer

Leveling. I'll never be high enough level to TR or Endgame

Solo

Definitely 1
    Last edited by enochiancub; 09-12-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Hero

Per week maybe 20-25. Some days I am able to play a bunch and others I just have time to check on a few things.

Sorcerer and Favored Souls

Endgame. I do occasionally TR now that the endgame is tiny but I have most if-not-all my TR lives I want.

Solo, guild and channel is 99%. Occasionally I pug but mainly try to avoid it. As one person mentioned already, there are too many disincentives to PUG.

If there is no in-between I am definitely a number 4.

Community Member

1. I played about 20 hours a week the first 3 months, and 40+ hours a week last 3 months.
    2. Favorite classes: 1. Fighter, 2. Rogue
    ...but I haven't experienced all the other classes have to offer. Basically, I like variety. I don't always want to be the same role over and over again. So I like every class I play.
    3. I like just leveling. TR when at appropriate level, maybe wait for a 20th raid completion if I feel like it.
    4. I mostly do PUGs and I hate solo.
    ... but my guild is not that big and we rarely have a group to run.
    5. I'd rate myself as 2 "I play the adventures because they are fun, but I will not let my character's gear rot. If I have an opportunity on something good (Greensteel for example) I will pursue it, but not trying too hard"

1) Average number of hours per week playing DDO for the last 6 months..

depends on the week. If I'm really busy, it can drop down to two hours every few days. Typically, I would say 4-5 hours every night, 10 hours on the weekend.

Hmmm...tough call. Wizard and druid I guess......but ranger, cleric, monk, barb and paladin are right there near the top.

Endgame for me is different than most people. I like having toons near the top levels so I can run the higher tier stuff, but for the most part, I just like to play through the quests.

Guild. Techinically, I mostly duo with my wife and a couple hires, but sometimes one of our other guildies will be on and we'll run with them (if they aren't on a toon that is in a different level range than us that is)

5) How would you rate yourself from 1 being a casual player (enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, min/max character customization to the best possible, aiming for the best gear, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...).

I also feel the list is too limiting. I would definitely put myself above casual, but I don't consider myself a power gamer. I like making toons that are survivable, but have flavour and a backstory. I play them as characters, making decisions based on their style and personality, but I want to make sure that, for example, my Pale Master who is a natural born leader of an evil cult, can survive being on the frontlines of some of the toughest battles, or my rogue, who is a hired mercenary of the aforementioned pale master, using nothing but espionage tactics, but is able to take care of himself when he get's caught, ambushed or in a situation where he has to fight. But, I take my time in quests, try to figure things out, form strategies, read dialogue options, get all optionals (depending on the character...some characters I have wouldn't save other people if given the choice.

All that being said, I would say, if it was a 1-10 scale, i would fall around 7. On a 1-4 scale...no clue.....
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Probably play 4-5 hours a night, closer to 10 on the weekends.

2) Favorite class and second favorite class
    I'd say Sorc then Artie, but I have played and enjoyed them all

For now, TRing, when endgame gets expanded that might change.

Solo>Pug>Guild/Channel

5) How would you rate yourself from: 1 being a casual player (enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, aiming for the best gear only, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "Most of all I enjoy a good story/atmosphere/flavor, but I don´t disregard building a solid character with decent gear" 3 is "Most of all I enjoy power gaming, but I don´t disregard a good story (at least on the first score of runs".
    Hmm, on this scale I'd say I'm a 3, the story is nice the first couple times, but after that it's just something to click through.

1.) Used to play 30h per week, now its down to under 10.
    2.)Barb, none.
    3.)Tring, endgame is boring.
    4.)Pug all the time
    5.)Most of all I enjoy a good story/atmosphere/flavor, but I don´t disregard building a solid character and farming for decent gear now and then

5) How would you rate yourself from: 1 being a casual player (enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, aiming for the best gear only, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "Most of all I enjoy a good story/atmosphere/flavor, but I don´t disregard building a solid character and farming for decent gear now and then". 3 is "Most of all I enjoy power gaming, but I do appreciate a good story behind the quest/chain". Please no "in between"/compromise answers: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.
    1) 10, I guess
    2) Favorite: Rogue (may change to artificer once I have enough experience with them to compare)
    Second: Cleric (may change to Favored Soul once I've spent enough time playing one)
    3) Just leveling, I guess. I like the low/mid-level stuff where the quests are shorter and the numbers aren't so inflated.
    4) split between solo (OK, 2-boxing) and static groups/PD guild. Haven't pugged in a long time, though I might again someday
    5) 2, but with a caveat - I really hate farming and will only do it occasionally, for relatively easy-to-get stuff (Muckbane for a friend, if we get it in less than 5 runs, Orchard runs for Tapestries when the static group is short a player or two, that sort of thing)

Community Member

5) How would you rate yourself from: 1 being a casual player (enjoy most of all the story behind the chain/quest, atmosphere, art, "flavor" in general) to 4 being a power gamer (xp/min, aiming for the best gear only, designing builds for EE, "metagaming" in general...). 2 is "Most of all I enjoy a good story/atmosphere/flavor, but I don´t disregard building a solid character and farming for decent gear now and then". 3 is "Most of all I enjoy power gaming, but I do appreciate a good story behind the quest/chain". Please no "in between"/compromise answers: you can pick only 1, 2, 3 or 4.
    1. 1-5 hours nightly, varies based on availbility. Businesses gotta be run, corporate cows gotta be milked.
    2. Depends on the mood: feeling helpful - i like my fvs, feeling like cold-cocking - i like my monk, a sleazy dirtbag - out comes the rogue, want to laugh maniacally - its sorc time.
    3. endgame
    4. pug then guild, or guild then pug,
    5. 3.9 - I'm a lassez-faire powergamer. I gain power slower than the Old McDonald types since I rarely go out of my way to hunt for anything in particular, it just rains down over time. That said, I play fast and hard at any quest. Get in, get out.

Reply: 5-10 hours a week

Reply: Paladin, then Sorcerer

Reply: Just leveling. I enjoy rolling up a new character every so often, TRing and playing high level epics.

Reply: Mostly solo and guild. Will PUG some of the time, but not as much as I used to.

5) How would you rate yourself
    Reply: 2
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Honestly no idea, so probably too many

Cleric & Monk, though oddly enough I didn't enjoy the "Clonk"

TRing and endgame.

I solo as "IP" until puggers join my lfm

I would have to say a 3. I min/max everything but xp/min.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 09-12-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member

1. 10-15
    2. Monk, FvS
    3. endgame
    4. pug
    5. 3

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

1. Too many. More than is wise.
    2. Changes weekly and sometimes daily. Depends on what concept I'm excited about trying out.
    3. Endgame. I view leveling as a tedious hurdle.
    4. Mostly solo, small guild groups next. I don't like pugging, but that has more to do with not liking a lot of the people that play DDO than how I perceive puggers' skill levels.
    5. Not sure how to make sense of this category. I've never read quest dialogue, play at the lowest graphics setting, and refuse to run quests that don't provide good xp/minute. I come up with an idea, do whatever TR'ing and leveling is necessary, tweak it until it feels good in ee content, gear the character up a bit, and move on. Is that a 4 on this scale? Beats me.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 09-12-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast