Default Swashbuckler/Duelist/Fencer build

I am trying to make a character who is a fencer, like the Duelist prestige class and/or the Swashbuckler class. The only things I know for sure I want are two weapon fighting (mainly to use the secondary weapon for defense) and the race is an Elf. Any suggestions on classes, skills, feats, and such for this build?

If I was thinking of doing something like this I would be thinking of some combination of these 3 classes:

Fighter - Proficiencies and Feats as well as Kensei enhancements
    Rogue - For skill points, evasion, sneak attack and uncanny dodge
    Monk - At least 1 level for access to Deflect Arrows (I know this is more flavor than actually being optimal)

Feats:
    Two Weapon Fighting
    Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Two Weapon Defense
    Mobility
    Deflect Arrows (Monk Level)
    Stunning Blow
    Combat Expertise (To unlock Improved Trip)
    Improved Trip
    Improved Critical - Piercing
    Precision

The next question would be if you are planning on using the DEX ability of Elf to override Strength for To-Hit/Damage.

In addition to the above, you may want to consider ranger for the tempest prestige given your flavor. I would recommend fighter tier 5 over tempest tier 5. I think that forces you to fighter level 8 though. You may want to go ftr12/ranger6/monk2, which is fairly standard actually. You could do 12 rng/8ftr for something different, but you'd want to work out the details more. Also, don't forget to wear your pirate hat when fighting.

The feats above are pretty good, but I think you need dodge for mobility. Also, you would get deflect arrows from tempest if 12 ranger (though this isn't a strong statement in favor of it). I'm not sure you'd hit the str needed for stunning blow. Consider replacing some of those feats with spring attack and whirlwind attack then. I've heard its bugged a bit in favor of unarmed. But that may be dated info and it would look very... err slashy.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Quote Originally Posted by Silikin View Post
    I am trying to make a character who is a fencer, like the Duelist prestige class and/or the Swashbuckler class. The only things I know for sure I want are two weapon fighting (mainly to use the secondary weapon for defense) and the race is an Elf. Any suggestions on classes, skills, feats, and such for this build?
    A typical swashbuckler has a rapier in one hand and the other hand is either empty or has a pistol in it.
    The closest to the pistol concept is the runearm from an artificer.

Another option, tho more rare, is to use an actual buckler in the off hand.
    I highly suggest the one from cove as it fits your theme.

If you insist on dual weapons then a finesse Ranger that is wearing a pirate had is really all you need.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

I just can't come up with a good Swashbuckler build that I like, as much as I have been wanting to. If you build one, I would think a combination of Fighter and Rogue would be a must. Combat style would probably be TWF with dual rapiers, or for flavor S&B with a Rapier and Buckler. If want to go TWF, you'll probably want to go Tempest Ranger, so perhaps a Tempest Ranger build with some Fighter and Rogue thrown in...but then you're a Tempest Ranger and not a Swashbuckler, really

Even if you make a build, the combat animations would be all wrong (coming from a RL fencer). You don't swing a rapier like the combat animation shows. Also, there aren't foppish looking cosmetic armor and hats that would make you look the part It would be soooo cool if, some day, the developers made a swashbuckler focused update that would include:

-Swashbuckler prestige class (perhaps Fighter?)
    -Adventure pack of Swashbuckler goodness (perhaps to include some ship-board & city quests)
    -Cosmetic armor & hats to look the part
    -Updated combat animations for rapiers

Sorry, I couldn't be more help.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin
    Grolyn Stoutheart, Divine Disciple Cleric
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post

Even if you make a build, the combat animations would be all wrong (coming from a RL fencer). You don't swing a rapier like the combat animation shows. Also, there aren't foppish looking cosmetic armor and hats that would make you look the part It would be soooo cool if, some day, the developers made a swashbuckler focused update that would include:

Yeah, I hate how no matter what weapon you're using, it looks like you're flailing a pair of sparklers around.

If I went Tempest Ranger, does Graceful Death work with Rapiers, especially if I have Weapon Finesse?

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    A typical swashbuckler has a rapier in one hand and the other hand is either empty or has a pistol in it.

If you insist on dual weapons then a finesse Ranger that is wearing a pirate had is really all you need.

Typical of classic cinema swashbucklers, yes, but not necessarily always true. Rapier would definitely be the main hand choice, I agree. But there were swashbucklers before there were guns. A Swashbuckler could (if they chose to dual-wield) use a dagger or main-gauche (which, sadly, DDO lacks) in their off-hand.

I would go, if you want to dual-weild, with a rapier/dagger combo. That way if you pick up the Improved Critical: Piercing feat, it'll apply to both your weapons. And although rapiers only have a x2 crit multiplier, it's nice to be able to crit on a 15-20
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post

Some also used a dagger in their offhand. I'm drawing a blank currently for the actual name said dagger was given, but they used it. It's quite prevalent in the old Romeo and Juliet movie, as well.

That being said, using Balizarde (named after the sword of one of the Three Musketeers) would be a great start for this, then grabbing a dagger such as the fell shiv. Go Ranger and Rogue for the main 2 classes, then maybe some fighter or monk or whatever happens to float your boat. The second tier core enhancement for Assassin gives dex to damage with all finesse weapons, so you would preferably want at least 3 levels of rogue in the guild.

Community Member

I'd use a pure tempest ranger to execute this concept, with a dagger or shortsword in the offhand, enchanted with defensive stuff like parrying to simulate the main-gauche. It should be fairly true to form.

For me personally I'd go drow as you get both the rapier bonus as well as ambidexterity.
    I'd go at least 5 rogue with weapon finesse (rapiers are finessable) and go heavy dex to make use of the dex to damage.
    Rapier main hand and dagger in off hand. Likely to a whole lot of rogue to get the +1 critical threat and multiplier with daggers from the tier 5 assassin.

Othe option would be to go pure ranger and full tempest line as that gives a whole lot of double strike/offhand stuff that fits. Still probably a heavy dex build. Major issue would be rapier damage. The rapier is finessable but I don't believe it is counted as a light weapon. So the dex to damage from light weapons from tempestII might not work.
    Other than that it covers just about everything , evasion, great TWF , with extra TWF defense , even deflect arrows for flavor.

That being said nothing saying you have to go rapier. I believe The swashbuckler term was originally coined to indicate a dual weapon fighting sailor who would typically use a cutlass and a small off hand weapon like a dagger , stiletto or even belaying pin.
    So no reason to not go scimitar main hand other than losing the iC pierce parity with the offhand dagger. Not having to take the spring attack feat chain to qualify for tempest any more does open up the possibility of getting both iC pierce and slash.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    Some also used a dagger in their offhand. I'm drawing a blank currently for the actual name said dagger was given, but they used it. It's quite prevalent in the old Romeo and Juliet movie, as well.

That being said, using Balizarde (named after the sword of one of the Three Musketeers) would be a great start for this, then grabbing a dagger such as the fell shiv. Go Ranger and Rogue for the main 2 classes, then maybe some fighter or monk or whatever happens to float your boat. The second tier core enhancement for Assassin gives dex to damage with all finesse weapons, so you would preferably want at least 3 levels of rogue in the guild.
    LOL it's called a main-gauche. Someone might have mentioned said weapon. Probably in the post right before yours.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    LOL it's called a main-gauche. Someone might have mentioned said weapon. Probably in the post right before yours.
    Shaddup I'm tired Q_Q

My elven bard is a swashbuckler, more or less.

Bard/ranger/rogue, uses sword and dagger, though she doesn't have the hat (I hate that it makes you look bald). Singing swashbuckler, cheerfully taunting her opponents while she skewers them.

I noticed some of you apparently misunderstood me when I said "swashbuckler". I stated I was trying to mimic the CLASS (from Complete Warrior), NOT the Hollywood version.

The rest of you, thanks.

It would be freaking AWESOME if DDO had a main-gauche, or even the Defending enchantment. I guess the best way it would work would for it to be to give you an toggle ability (like Power Attack) to decide whether the enhancement points are put towards attack and damage or AC, with it counting for dodge instead of PRR

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    Rapier would definitely be the main hand choice, I agree.
    I disagree....when I think "swashbuckler", I think shipboard combat, and a long piercing weapon is about the worst possible option for close-quarters combat like that. You'd want a short, edged weapon, like a shortsword or dagger. A light pick or handaxe might be used to approximate a boarding axe, too. You'd never be able to bring a rapier's point to bear on an enemy in the cramped quarters below deck...

If you were looking for the closest approximation to cutlass or saber combat, that'd be Scimitars. Scimitar/Dagger TWF is pretty close to saber/cutlass and a main-gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I disagree....when I think "swashbuckler", I think shipboard combat, and a long piercing weapon is about the worst possible option for close-quarters combat like that. You'd want a short, edged weapon, like a shortsword or dagger. A light pick or handaxe might be used to approximate a boarding axe, too. You'd never be able to bring a rapier's point to bear on an enemy in the cramped quarters below deck...

If you were looking for the closest approximation to cutlass or saber combat, that'd be Scimitars. Scimitar/Dagger TWF is pretty close to saber/cutlass and a main-gauche.
    Please, again, when I say Swashbuckler, I mean the class from Complete Warrior
    http://dndtools.eu/classes/swashbuckler/ for info

Community Member

Please, again, when I say Swashbuckler, I mean the class from Complete Warrior
    http://dndtools.eu/classes/swashbuckler/ for info
    Huh, well in that case it sounds pretty much just like a Rogue Thief-Acrobat with a little Ranger splash....light armor, TWF like you asked, dodge and jump/tumble bonuses, Reflex save bonuses, martial weapon profs, Slippery Mind, STR dmg on crits...the only differences are ones that don't really apply to DDO (like moving over difficult terrain), or would be completely unbalancing (like having INT-to-dmg in addition to your STR-to-dmg). Pick a couple Feats to fill out the rest (ie Finesse), get a CON-dmg-on-crit weapon, and you basically have everything you listed there, and then some.