Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    That's unwarranted. Charonous is actually a nice player by the standards of forum folk.
    Not buying it, and being smart, is in relation to Turbine and the bait and switch they've pulled with expansions - twice.

His post was quite constructive - if you don't own it, don't bother. There's nothing much there. Some fun quests, but that's it. They don't have much replay value, the loot is trash and the xp is bad.
    If they at least had solid replay value, it'd be a different story. As it stands, it's a joke of an expansion and a complete waste of money.

If it had two raids, it'd be worth it, simply for something to DO with the new expansion.
    A quest being bad is a matter of opinion, as is replay value. The loot may not be great, but if you enjoy the quests themselves, its the best value you can get.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    ....just because he agrees with you does not mean he is the "smartest person in the thread".
    Well, I am the smartest person in the thread and I agree with him. That makes him number 2.

That's unwarranted. Charonous is actually a nice player by the standards of forum folk.
    Not buying it, and being smart, is in relation to Turbine and the bait and switch they've pulled with expansions - twice.

His post was quite constructive - if you don't own it, don't bother. There's nothing much there. Some fun quests, but that's it. They don't have much replay value, the loot is trash and the xp is bad.
    If they at least had solid replay value, it'd be a different story. As it stands, it's a joke of an expansion and a complete waste of money.

If it had two raids, it'd be worth it, simply for something to DO with the new expansion.
    No, it's completely warranted. He has bashed numerous players on the forums for just having a different playstyle than him. One of which was me.

His post was NOT constructive, it was saying "Oh, you're smart, everyone else was not". I don't feel there was a bait and switch. I knew exactly what I was buying with both expansions (and I've bought multiple versions for guild members since). To some people, "some fun quests" is more than enough reason to spend money on the expansion. As for having two raids, I'm glad it doesn't have any raids. Finally, I can finish a storyline without having to find a PUG that just want's to rush through it and not let me actually play it the way it was designed and let me take in the actual story.

Just because he (and apaprently, you) think he's right, does not make it so. It does not give him the right to mock others for the way they feel about it.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    Cheers for that TT.

The kicker is that I'm Premium and literally own everything else that can be owned (Except Drow and FvS, not paying for something I can unlock if I ever decide to play on a different Server) and I love Explorer Areas, my characters are generally built around the endurance principle. They may not be the most powerful in the game, but they just keep going, which suits Explorer Areas to a tee.

But 2,495 TP? Not a Whelk's chance in a Supernova.
    That's what, $20? I can't get a bottle of cheap rum for that.

I you love explorer areas you'll get your money's worth on the Stormhorns even when it's not on sale. I'm hardly the Turbine fanboi by I endorse this pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    So far you seem to be the smartest person in this thread, you didn't fall for the pre-order and don't plan on buying it. Kudos.
    This offends me as I pre purchased the expansion, and I feel you are calling me dumb.

The unfortunate thing is, I am not playing the expansion due to the same reasons other people have stated in this tread( xp and loot) . So you might actually be right as I paid for something I am not
    using.

sigh...............

But just because I am an idiot, does not necessarily make you smart

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Well, I am the smartest person in the thread and I agree with him. That makes him number 2.
    was that an euphemism?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    That's what, $20? I can't get a bottle of cheap rum for that.

I you love explorer areas you'll get your money's worth on the Stormhorns even when it's not on sale. I'm hardly the Turbine fanboi by I endorse this pack.
    Unemployment isn't fun TT. Need I say more?

No, it's completely warranted. He has bashed numerous players on the forums for just having a different playstyle than him. One of which was me.

His post was NOT constructive, it was saying "Oh, you're smart, everyone else was not". I don't feel there was a bait and switch. I knew exactly what I was buying with both expansions (and I've bought multiple versions for guild members since). To some people, "some fun quests" is more than enough reason to spend money on the expansion. As for having two raids, I'm glad it doesn't have any raids. Finally, I can finish a storyline without having to find a PUG that just want's to rush through it and not let me actually play it the way it was designed and let me take in the actual story.

Just because he (and apaprently, you) think he's right, does not make it so. It does not give him the right to mock others for the way they feel about it.
    You feel the right to bash him. Two wrongs, something about a right?

It was mocking Turbine, strangely enough.
    Don't feel there was a bait&switch? Follow the action on the forums then. A while back you had plenty of rage posts about it, we're mostly over it for now.

Now, "some fun quests" is great and all, but lag inducing effects, red alert, all reported as NOT WAI isn't great.
    People getting motion sickness from What Goes Up... also not great.
    You play the game your way, everyone else plays it their way. It's not for you to decide what's the right and wrong way to play a raid :P

Anyway, you may feel this is a good expansion, well worth whatever you paid. Personally, I spent $40 on it with high expectations - MoTU was great fun.
    What I got: A bunch of quests, with no loot worth grinding for, no xp, little replay value, lag and broken red alert.
    You may not see loot as bring worth grinding for, but at endgame, what else IS there? Run content you've beaten 20 times... again?

Much as I hate the seal/shard/scroll system, it's the best way I've found to keep me running content. I STILL don't have an ESOS, but I'm still grinding for it. Why? Loot worth grinding, yet it requires a grind - just what a gem needs.
    I love lore, strangely enough. But only once. After that, I pretty much never forget it, making running a quest twice from a lore perspective impossible. The story? Know it, can't relearn it without forgetting it.

Still, this argument will get nowhere, so I'm just going to wander off and read a good book.

There's nothing much there. Some fun quests, but that's it.
    This is true, and needs to be highlighted.

They don't have much replay value, the loot is trash and the xp is bad.
    This is also true. Good XP and good loot would have gone a long way.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneyks View Post
    But just because I am an idiot, does not necessarily make you smart
    This is almost sig worthy. Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    Unemployment isn't fun TT. Need I say more?
    Ahh, sorry about that. Yeah, it's not worth donating a pint of blood. Maybe somebody else's blood, but not your own.

I pre-ordered this junk and let me tell you, I have been very very unhappy about it. Not so much about the pack...but someone please tell me why in the hell VIP subs are being forced to purchase this junk? I really wish I had not ordered it and of all the things about the changes- this was the one that hacks me off far and beyond all others. This WAS not content enough to charge your monthly customers as a new pack. Thats great, you put out a wilderness area that requires a hundred years to run across. Big damned whoop. The whole expansion just reeks of "pay me money". I get so damned tired of you throwing your damned shard gimmicks at me.

Of all the things that will drive me from this game to find something else to do it will be this. You continue to ask for more and more money from us and continue to come up with more ways to get it...

How about offering a true subscription service? That was what I signed on for when I became VIP years ago. And that is NOT what you are doing and from all appearances is NOT YOUR INTENTION MOVING FORWARD.

Turbine you are doing a **** job of building/retaining your customer base and the answer seems to be "collect more from the schmucks sticking around". I can forgive bugs and problems along those lines, I cannot forgive idiocy in customer relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    I pre-ordered this junk and let me tell you, I have been very very unhappy about it. Not so much about the pack...but someone please tell me why in the hell VIP subs are being forced to purchase this junk? I really wish I had not ordered it and of all the things about the changes- this was the one that hacks me off far and beyond all others. This WAS not content enough to charge your monthly customers as a new pack. Thats great, you put out a wilderness area that requires a hundred years to run across. Big damned whoop. The whole expansion just reeks of "pay me money". I get so damned tired of you throwing your damned shard gimmicks at me.

Of all the things that will drive me from this game to find something else to do it will be this. You continue to ask for more and more money from us and continue to come up with more ways to get it...

How about offering a true subscription service? That was what I signed on for when I became VIP years ago. And that is NOT what you are doing and from all appearances is NOT YOUR INTENTION MOVING FORWARD.

Turbine you are doing a **** job of building/retaining your customer base and the answer seems to be "collect more from the schmucks sticking around". I can forgive bugs and problems along those lines, I cannot forgive idiocy in customer relations.
    But youre proud of your own attitudes, i assume?

Community Member

Mainly because this expansion wasn't designed for the current player base, but to bring in a "new" player base. Which it did a little bit. However, I don't see it procuring anything NEAR what they expected it to. Some executive was sitting behind a desk and thought this one up and sold it to the team.
    Zaphear(Completionist), Lugziurious, Lugzmeat Shield, Lugzii, Lugziii, Lugzsing Measong - De Profundis

Quote Originally Posted by zaphear View Post
    Mainly because this expansion wasn't designed for the current player base, but to bring in a "new" player base. Which it did a little bit. However, I don't see it procuring anything NEAR what they expected it to. Some executive was sitting behind a desk and thought this one up and sold it to the team.
    I suppose im not one of the current playerbase then.

I've seen and joined a few LFMs. But when I've posted LFMs they've rarely filled. Maybe that just means nobody loves me

So I've mostly soloed the new content. Starting with EH, and for some quests having to scale back to EN while I figured them out on my pure assassin.

I have to say I think the quests are on a par with the underdark quests, which is to say they're much more fun than the king's forest or demonweb quests. And both wildernesses are more fun than the MOTU wildernesses. In other words, I think this pack is more fun than MOTU. And from the rogue's perspective, there are a few quests with great opportunities for sneakiness.

There is less content than MOTU, obviously. But the real mistake was not including a raid. That and the purple haze effect is annoying - Just like the darkening was annoying in MOTU. Why reincarnate that annoyance?

I didn't spend cash or tp this time. Bought my preorder with a ton of loot that was rotting in my storage. And I'm satisfied. But more LFM activity would be nice.

Addendum: Other than the lack of a raid, here's why I believe the LFMs aren't as active as they were after MOTU, and why fewer people are pausing their TR trains to run new content: The Lolth effect.

I personally find the Forgotten Realms a silly setting, almost synonymous with Monty Haul and kitchen sinks. But lots of people like it. And for all those guys out there who secretly want to sleep with Drizzzzzt and the girls who like to pretend they're Lolth, MOTU had a big draw. The new expansion isn't nearly as iconic. That's unavoidable. Turbine already played the Lolth trump card. What's left? And the new iconic classes don't feel nearly as substantive as a really new class or race.

For me, personally, all that stuff was not a plus for MOTU. Lolth and drow in general are dead horses for me, and have been since they were stolen from the Greyhawk setting. At least Eberron gave lip service to reinventing drow. I found 10x the joy just in seeing my first griffon that I found in anything from MOTU.
    Bartylomaos and Fwelcyr, of Orien's Forever Knights
    Lag got you down? Do what I do and bring along a good book to read while playing DDO.

Community Member

Meh, I put a Wheloon chain every couple of days, it fills no problem. One drawback is that the chain itself runs about 2-2 1/2hrs even when being run quickly (I don't generally speed/shortcut farm it yet) and counting the time you'll have to deal w/ the massive Wheloon explorer spawns en route, a leader really has to have a block of time open to pursue a full chain run. I love the new quests, but if I can't commit to running the full chain (because I like to get 1st timers acquainted with all of it), I'll go lead something shorter like a Dragon or whatever. As people get more familiar with the content, and purchase it, it will get more popular I imagine, especially since some quests like Lesson have a lot of chests if you're running a lootgem and bonus loot applies. Farming like the way scales or relics force you to in GH doesn't apply in the new content.

Even marching 4 toons through the Stormhorns to get all the explorers was a good chunk of time. Enjoyable, and preps them for quick access to the Stormhorn quests, but took time.

As TT said elsewhere, on Gland, there's 900 toons waiting for an LFM to go up during peak hours. I used to be able to mull over an LFM, whether I wanted to switch toons to hit it, and not even worry about asking to save a spot. Now, it's insnae as I have virtually no time to think about it before it fills.

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    As TT said elsewhere, on Gland, there's 900 toons waiting for an LFM to go up during peak hours. I used to be able to mull over an LFM, whether I wanted to switch toons to hit it, and not even worry about asking to save a spot. Now, it's insnae as I have virtually no time to think about it before it fills.
    I know right? It's funny, looking at the who list last night in primetime there were about 300 people on between 25-28, no LFMs, and most of them had the location of them sitting on the airship.

I find it unwarranted when the fanboi’s come here drinking the Kool-Aid saying that Turbine can do no wrong. Hopefully the trend continues and people do not post LFM’s and do not buy the future “expansions”. Maybe Turbine will then wake up and realize that we see thru their ways of nickel and diming us to death.
    Quests that give **** xp in hopes that we will buy xp pots? No deal
    Paying to teleport to a quests costing as? No deal
    Terrible loot, can get better random loot than the named items? No deal
    Taking a 10% penalty when someone dies? No deal, change this ASAP.

If they quit the schemes and started giving people what they wanted maybe you would see more LFM’s and people that are willing to pug.

Want my money; give me the opportunity to buy an extra feat. Give me the option to get another spell slot on my sorc and fs. Make quests that give decent xp without relying on tomes of xp and pots.

I could not give a damn if this game goes under at this point. Sooner or later Turbine (and maybe the fanboi’s) will realize that they alienated everyone to the point that they do not want to spend, but it will probably be too late.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I find it unwarranted when the fanboi’s come here drinking the Kool-Aid saying that Turbine can do no wrong. Hopefully the trend continues and people do not post LFM’s and do not buy the future “expansions”. Maybe Turbine will then wake up and realize that we see thru their ways of nickel and diming us to death.
    Quests that give **** xp in hopes that we will buy xp pots? No deal
    Paying to teleport to a quests costing as? No deal
    Terrible loot, can get better random loot than the named items? No deal
    Taking a 10% penalty when someone dies? No deal, change this ASAP.

If they quit the schemes and started giving people what they wanted maybe you would see more LFM’s and people that are willing to pug.

Want my money; give me the opportunity to buy an extra feat. Give me the option to get another spell slot on my sorc and fs. Make quests that give decent xp without relying on tomes of xp and pots.

I could not give a damn if this game goes under at this point. Sooner or later Turbine (and maybe the fanboi’s) will realize that they alienated everyone to the point that they do not want to spend, but it will probably be too late.
    Turbine is only "nickel and dime us to death" if you let them. I guess I just don't understand why people get their knickers bunched up over this. If you don't want to use these items, then don't! How hard of a concept is that. You are not required to, nor is it really ever needed. Btw- I have had no issues capping characters since the level cap raise. It's not a big deal and I haven't used any pots.

You don't have to pay to teleporter to a quest. Seriously, you don't. The way you (and others) keep repeating that on the forums gives the impression you are somehow required to use these teleporters. Your are not. Amazing, huh? I takes less than 30 seconds to get to the quests, once you spend a little time to find the camps.

Loot was getting out of control and has been for a long time (I blame Mod 4 Gianthold and especially the shroud for setting us on this path). While I agree the items could have been better, gear was also a divisive element between power gamers and casual gamers. I'm not saying this was the way to fix the issue, but the the gear parity is probably at its lowest between the haves and have nots.

I agree on the no death 10% bonus getting removed. It's not needed.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast