Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default How to have fun in DDO?

So there are alot of diff. things to do in DDO, try all the diff classes, TR, farm, solo, group, raid, guild runs, pugs, learn new quests, try out crazy builds, try out Flayer of the month builds, etc.

So what are the most fun things you did in DDO? What part of the game do you find most fun? What builds did you find most fun to play?

For me, i have enjoyed creating new characters more than TR'ing, gearing them and getting them to 20.

Community Member

Thumbs up

For me there is nothing I love more in this game than tr'ing into Korthos with humble beginnings. So addictive and so awesome.

Maybe it is my style, but I like to teach stuff. I often open PUGs, and when I find someone that is new to the game, I know I'll have a great day. Many times, after the quest ends, I form a duo/trio with the new people, and just go where they want to play, lend a hand, give hints or spoilers (their option), notice if they are missing something I can provide for cheap (like feather fall or UA), give build advices, etc.

There is nothing that bore me more than a well-oiled run with a bunch of people that just looks like they are not even looking at the screen for all the steamrolling they are doing. Sure, once in a while it feels good, but I can't play too long with a group that sucks out all the challenge of the quests.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    For me, i have enjoyed creating new characters more than TR'ing, gearing them and getting them to 20.
    That's how I have my fun too. I've yet to TR any character (nor even make a green steel item, despite having been playing for 4+ years), and have about a half-dozen in the 23-25 range, with another dozen ranging from 8-15. I love trying out new builds, figuring out interesting new ways to play, or trying new stuff. My current work in progress is an old character I made who was a fighter/ranger/rogue, but I decided to try out monk, so now she's monk/ranger/rogue. Going to end up 12/4/4 I think, or maybe split the 4's into a 5/3 or something. Not sure quite yet!

Half-tempted to make yet another bard (I have 3 already) build, too, using the PDK template...tempting!

Solo {with hire - Can't believe I have to state this} Slaying in 3 Barrel Cove & Sands of Menechtarun.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Solo {with hire - Can't believe I have to state this} Slaying in 3 Barrel Cove & Sands of Menechtarun.
    I've rediscovered the fun of soloing, but only because most of my guildies are in the process of lvl'ing up their tr'd toons. So I'm just running around enjoying the beauty of the storm horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    I've rediscovered the fun of soloing, but only because most of my guildies are in the process of lvl'ing up their tr'd toons. So I'm just running around enjoying the beauty of the storm horns.
    No matter which Explorer Zone you talk about and my feelings towards that particular zone {I Adore 3 Barrel, Sands, Orchard and The Restless Isles....I Loathe Red Fens, GH, Wheloon and Ataraxia} I will always stress that every single one of them is so much more fun when you're NOT RUSHED!

Running Slayers with Groups is just NOT Fun!

I truly wish it was otherwise.

But unfortunately you'll never get that perfect group of people who are all happy to clear the entire instance - I get so irritated when I put up an Orchard Slayer - Full Clearance LFM and someone joins late then proceeds to go entirely the opposite direction to everyone else BEFORE expecting everyone to reset the instance even though there's still 3-4 Chests we haven't got to! {yes that actually really happened!}.

I've grown to know Gianthold - I still think it's a bad slayer {mainly because of the lack of Mobs out there}.
    I used to Hate the Sands until I spent the best part of 6 Hrs out there clearing the entire instance {running back and forth around Wiz King to wake up all the Undead took up most of that time!} - Now i adore the Zone!
    I'll learn Wheloon given time in there Solo But I feel it's always gonna be more GH than Sands.

Community Member

I have been playing Permadeath for the last 4 years and still loving it. Its the PnP feel it give to every adventure. Plus every level feels like a real accomplishment.

Community Member

No matter which Explorer Zone you talk about and my feelings towards that particular zone {I Adore 3 Barrel, Sands, Orchard and The Restless Isles....I Loathe Red Fens, GH, Wheloon and Ataraxia} I will always stress that every single one of them is so much more fun when you're NOT RUSHED!

But unfortunately you'll never get that perfect group of people who are all happy to clear the entire instance - I get so irritated when I put up an Orchard Slayer - Full Clearance LFM and someone joins late then proceeds to go entirely the opposite direction to everyone else BEFORE expecting everyone to reset the instance even though there's still 3-4 Chests we haven't got to! {yes that actually really happened!}.

I've grown to know Gianthold - I still think it's a bad slayer {mainly because of the lack of Mobs out there}.
    I used to Hate the Sands until I spent the best part of 6 Hrs out there clearing the entire instance {running back and forth around Wiz King to wake up all the Undead took up most of that time!} - Now i adore the Zone!
    I'll learn Wheloon given time in there Solo But I feel it's always gonna be more GH than Sands.
    I beg to differ. I've been in quite a few decent group slaying runs, but not lately, I admit. And granted, not with a Pug though, but with guildies. Mostly, it's just me and one other player, a hire or 2 and panthers.
    Epic GH is much different than Heroic, it gives meaning to the name GIANThold. And there be dragons! Sands is fun too, lots of variety. I tried Wheloon a bit today. It's gonna take getting used to. Those assassins hit hard.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Are your LFM's clear you wish folks to stick together? Because I see more LFMs then not requesting folks to split up for a faster kill count tally then exploring and looting. All folks deffinition of fun will differ, but if you are not clear, you've only yourself to blame.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

On topic,

Fun for me is seeing new sights and doing new things. New Content and figuring out what needs to be done is what is fun to me. Exploring different options and seeing if they yield different outcomes without the knowledge of previous play or WIKI info is very fun to me. I tend to solo new stuff nowadays so I can move at my own pace and explore and try different things.
    Git off mah lawn!

Default For me...

It's all about the builds - in both design & gear.

Unlike those with altitus, I prefer to do it through TRing. Sure, I have an "end-life" plan for the character in question, but along the way I'm going to travel through different classes. Even collecting 3x the same past life, I play a different variation on that class each time. For instance, with sorc I did 3 different savants, 1 was a Warforged, 1 a Human and the 3rd a heavy armored Drow. Plus as a byproduct of releveling, I collect new toys, so when I ponder my next class/life it's like looking at a box of Leggos and asking "what can build with this?"
    While the quests may never change, my approach to them constantly does, and so does my role in any given party. I find that to be incredibly fun and engaging.

However that's only part of it. The other part is seeing what a "finished" character can do. (That's why I miss having a broad and stable "end game.") Being able to take one of my creations at the height of it's power and confront any & every situation the game has to offer at it's most challenging and highest level, that's the good stuff.

Lol Don't ask me to pick which aspect I like better, I enjoy both too much to pick.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Default This thread needs

Conan! What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    On topic,

Fun for me is seeing new sights and doing new things. New Content and figuring out what needs to be done is what is fun to me. Exploring different options and seeing if they yield different outcomes without the knowledge of previous play or WIKI info is very fun to me. I tend to solo new stuff nowadays so I can move at my own pace and explore and try different things.
    I try to avoid using wiki to help my gameplay, other than knowing what items drop in what quests.
    Though, I have been known to use a map for an explorer that refused to be found after repeated attempts to locate it.

Having a silly concept and making it work. (Which isn't hard, due to gear/tomes)

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    I try to avoid using wiki to help my gameplay, other than knowing what items drop in what quests.
    Though, I have been known to use a map for an explorer that refused to be found after repeated attempts to locate it.
    Of course nothing wrong with using the WIKI. I do so alot myself, I just find alot of enjoyment out of figuring it out myself for the first time. Tho, occasionally I am dumbfounded and look outside for help, hehe. But, when I run boldly into a zone without knowing what, where, when, etc to expect and come out on top I feel like I've had fun and won a bit.
    Git off mah lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    Are your LFM's clear you wish folks to stick together? Because I see more LFMs then not requesting folks to split up for a faster kill count tally then exploring and looting. All folks deffinition of fun will differ, but if you are not clear, you've only yourself to blame.
    Full Clearance is Pretty Clear in the first place.

Then you have to consider that the vast majority of Slayer LFMs these days are stuff like:

-BYOH {NO Hires} or BYOH {Hires welcome}
    -Be Self Sufficient
    -Splitting up
    -No Hand Holding
    -Orchard Rat/Van...Reset.

Yeah I think anyone misconstruing my LFM is being deliberately obtuse!

There's only so much you can put on an LFM and forcing me {and people like me} to add extra caveats is just plain silly - Full Clearance is Pretty d@rned Specific...When someone joins late, goes off in the opposite direction, kills 2-4 rares then says Reset well I've got an issue with that {Especially when it becomes obvious that they've ran past Multiple Mobs and so haven't even done what was asked for on the LFM!}.

No - I personally don't add Hires Welcome to my LFMs - It's Implicit when you join to see me in the Slayer with a Hire - If you're the fifth in a Party and there's only one hire however it's probably wiser to ask for the OK before you pull yours {chances are I'll say yes anyway but Asking is appreciated.}.

Oh and I'm Not totally anal about Full Clearance either - I'm not gonna ask anyone to run back and forth around Wiz King waking up EVERY SINGLE Skeleton!
    I'm NOT gonna run round the King's Forest over and over again trying to clear it {I know that's not possible!}.
    I don't mind if we miss a mob here and there in orchard {again the map's large and I don't expect to cover it in it's entirety}.

BUT

I personally Know how many Mobs are in a Full Clearance of Orchard - Dependent on Rats, Van and/or Radhnik being in of course - So know when to reset.
    I'm NOT going to reset that instance at any point prior to 300 kills - Just not gonna happen!

Fun is highly subjective. What works and is fun for me will be anathema to somebody else. As such - the following is the only advice I can give:
    Develop a play-style you enjoy. Find people who play in a like manner. Join them. Repeat.

Play what you like to play, play how you like to play, and play it well.

I enjoy TRing. No plan, no goal, just like to try new things and really enjoy that I don't need to do it through an alt. I an experience every class, and combo I want, without needing to gear out a legion of toons. Love the TR system in that regard.

I have no "end game" goal with my TR process, beyond to run some end game with every life.. it's kinda of a cycle for me. I'll TR , and by the time I am 20th I am sick of leveling, and then I'll try to raid, and do some end game, and that kind of stuff, get bored, and then TR again. Now with the new Epic Levels, not sure how that will play out... we shall see.

When I group Attitude > All else.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Full Clearance is Pretty Clear in the first place.

Then you have to consider that the vast majority of Slayer LFMs these days are stuff like:

-BYOH {NO Hires} or BYOH {Hires welcome}
    -Be Self Sufficient
    -Splitting up
    -No Hand Holding
    -Orchard Rat/Van...Reset.

Yeah I think anyone misconstruing my LFM is being deliberately obtuse!

There's only so much you can put on an LFM and forcing me {and people like me} to add extra caveats is just plain silly - Full Clearance is Pretty d@rned Specific...When someone joins late, goes off in the opposite direction, kills 2-4 rares then says Reset well I've got an issue with that {Especially when it becomes obvious that they've ran past Multiple Mobs and so haven't even done what was asked for on the LFM!}.

No - I personally don't add Hires Welcome to my LFMs - It's Implicit when you join to see me in the Slayer with a Hire - If you're the fifth in a Party and there's only one hire however it's probably wiser to ask for the OK before you pull yours {chances are I'll say yes anyway but Asking is appreciated.}.

Oh and I'm Not totally anal about Full Clearance either - I'm not gonna ask anyone to run back and forth around Wiz King waking up EVERY SINGLE Skeleton!
    I'm NOT gonna run round the King's Forest over and over again trying to clear it {I know that's not possible!}.
    I don't mind if we miss a mob here and there in orchard {again the map's large and I don't expect to cover it in it's entirety}.

BUT

I personally Know how many Mobs are in a Full Clearance of Orchard - Dependent on Rats, Van and/or Radhnik being in of course - So know when to reset.
    I'm NOT going to reset that instance at any point prior to 300 kills - Just not gonna happen!
    So your LFM just says "Full Clearance"?. I ask because I would find that unclear that you wish everyone to stick together, loot chests, etc. Not trying to pick a fight, but I feel, from what you have posted, that you are not clear enough in what you want from a group and there by are disapointed in what you get. Most slayer groups could care less about the loot, snag some kills, rinse and repeat. If you desire a different approach from that you need to be more clear.
    Git off mah lawn!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast