Default My damage looks a bit wonky.

I'm a bit curious about something.

Why does my base damage hit jump from 143 on the second line, then to what amounts to double that on the next line when sneak attack is added? As you can see it happens multiple times in the picture.

I'm not worried about it, I'm just curious. None of them are crits it's just odd to me that my base damage effectively doubles before sneak is even applied. I don't even really notice this in quests, just here on the training dummy.

Community Member

They seem to alternate between 100something and 200something, so I'm going to guess mainhand/offhand strikes? Your damage bonuses only apply 50% to offhand strikes, and since they make up the bulk of your base damage, it makes sense that your offhand strikes are about half your mainhand ones.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    They seem to alternate between 100something and 200something, so I'm going to guess mainhand/offhand strikes? Your damage bonuses only apply 50% to offhand strikes, and since they make up the bulk of your base damage, it makes sense that your offhand strikes are about half your mainhand ones.
    I thought fighting unarmed, I was supposed to get 100% strength bonus to offhand strikes? I know I don't have much of any strength (nor does dex/damage work for wraps currently far as I can tell) is why I'm so confused by this.

Unarmed gets full dmg bonus if monk.

Community Member

OK another guess then, since I just realized you pointed out it only applies when your SA damage is applying - how much Sneak Attack bonus do you have, ie from Sneak Attack or Exceptional Sneak Attack gear, or new-style Deception weapons? That adds to your base damage on any attack 'that would qualify as a Sneak Attack'...dunno if it could account for ~100 damage by itself, but it does fit the observations.

OK another guess then, since I just realized you pointed out it only applies when your SA damage is applying - how much Sneak Attack bonus do you have, ie from Sneak Attack or Exceptional Sneak Attack gear, or new-style Deception weapons? That adds to your base damage on any attack 'that would qualify as a Sneak Attack'...dunno if it could account for ~100 damage by itself, but it does fit the observations.
    Like 20 in that picture, maybe? It's so weird. I've noticed it does happen in quests on the absolute rare occasion I find something with more fort than I can bypass, but that's so unlikely to happen that I only really notice it on the dummy.

Q_Q What's going on?!?!?!?!?!?

It's just a crit. You bypassed the dummy's fort (my experience shows it doesn't have more than 100%).

Quote Originally Posted by Yazzman View Post
    It's just a crit. You bypassed the dummy's fort (my experience shows it doesn't have more than 100%).
    Oh no it's definitely not a crit. I crit for 400+ on this dummy, sometimes even 600 (yes, my gimpy ass is happy for 600 crits).

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    ... sometimes even 600 (yes, my gimpy ass is happy for 600 crits).
    I think Harris Wittels addresses the issue you seem to be having in his book.
    Last edited by ThePrisoner; 09-13-2013 at 07:09 PM.

You're seeing the sneak attack +50% against helpless target in the first number there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlugger View Post
    You're seeing the sneak attack +50% against helpless target in the first number there.
    Wait is that how it's added on?

Do you have an "on vorpal" effect or an "on 20 gain 1 extra crit multiplier"? I just noticed this myself and had forgotten about the "on 20/crit multiplier" stuff I have, pleasantly surprised to get 1000+ pt crits on my stick build while leveling non-LD EDs