Default Build Request: Half Elf Pure Paladin baby tank

I've been playing a paladin since I started DDO but I've never really learned anything about tanking. Now that the tanking scene is dead, I figured it must be the best time to start learning the skill . I have my free basic LR still available on my half elf pure paladin. So I'm going to request a build.

Here are the constraints: Since it's only a plain LR, she'll stay half elf and pure paladin. She's presently level 26. I need to save 11 ap for racial stuff. I'm requesting advice on stats, feats, and enhancements.

She's on her third paladin life (so 2 pally past lives with +10% Healing amp) and a 36 point build.

Her tomes are:
    Strength +3
    Dexterity +4
    Constitution +4
    Intelligence +4
    Wisdom +3
    Charisma +5

She's presently specced for TWF with Khopeshes, but she mostly fights with Stars of Day (she has a nice Radiance set), and I have a couple special metal bastard sword crafting blanks in the bank so I could easily switch exotic weapons. I don't think she has much in the way of good shields (good = anything above around level 13 or 14), but I think I can scrounge an eHard Bulwark of the Storm's Fist. She also has some epic two handed weapons: an epic Antique Great Axe, a Breach, and all the parts to epic a SoS (except the base item).

As far as hit points are concerned, she has lootgen +8 Constitution bracers of +40 False Life, +3 Insightful Constitution, vitality in her armor and an unslotted extra +20 vitality augment. She also has the Draconic Vitality feat.

My Cannith crafting is around 120 in all schools, so I can craft "whatever" might still be useful from crafting sources.

Along with the statting, some really basic suggestions on gear that would help with tanking would be nice. As far as threat goes, the one item in my bank I see that gives her an Incite Bonus is Fabricator's Bracers. I know I need a shield for her. She has the PDK set with a bonded Embrace of the Spider Queen with +3 Insightful Constitution. "Have heavy armor, a shield, and a bastard sword, plus Incite" is where my tiny store of gearing knowledge for tanks runs out.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Default srry maybe someone can help more

i think ur not getting many responses b/c hardly anyone plays pally due to no tanks needed in ddo. and thier dps is low.

look here

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ents-need-help

i had one for a bit but due to bugs on stance or wai not sure haven't checked i dropped it and lr 20ed it. my advise tr or try a divine caster they can tank ok if needed with a decent shield like the Wall of Wood and can contribute to party.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I run down my thoughts on pally tank feats here. My view is it's only worth picking up b.sword prof if you also plan to take the full THF line; if not, you're better off w/rapiers, scimitars, and/or khops. [Maybe spec for khops+IC:Slash and use Balizarde if you get one someday, since it's already keen.]

I guess the main question is how "tank-y" do you want to be? Any pally can pick up some PRR & threat amp from SD tree while still being THF/TWF for DPS. But going beyond that requires a more substantial investment in gear, feats, etc.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaude View Post
    i think ur not getting many responses b/c hardly anyone plays pally due to no tanks needed in ddo. and thier dps is low.

look here

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ents-need-help

i had one for a bit but due to bugs on stance or wai not sure haven't checked i dropped it and lr 20ed it. my advise tr or try a divine caster they can tank ok if needed with a decent shield like the Wall of Wood and can contribute to party.
    That and almost nobody plays a pure paladin. Mostly the advice you're going to get on building a "pure" paladin is "don't!".

Pure pallies have the same problems they've always had, namely feat-starved and lacking in DPS compared to other pure melees (i.e., barb & ftr). U19 has made them even more front-loaded (you can now max out Divine Might, Sacrifice, and Exalted w/4 pally lvls); while the higher-lvl SD abilities are fairly blah, IMHO, and do nothing for your DPS. Turbine really tried to pigeon-hole Stalwart / Sacred Defender builds into S&B-only.

That's not to say you can't make an effective pure pally; just that the benefits of MCing (still) outweigh the cons, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Pure pallies have the same problems they've always had, namely feat-starved and lacking in DPS compared to other pure melees (i.e., barb & ftr). U19 has made them even more front-loaded (you can now max out Divine Might, Sacrifice, and Exalted w/4 pally lvls); while the higher-lvl SD abilities are fairly blah, IMHO, and do nothing for your DPS. Turbine really tried to pigeon-hole Stalwart / Sacred Defender builds into S&B-only.

That's not to say you can't make an effective pure pally; just that the benefits of MCing (still) outweigh the cons, IMHO.
    With the loss of weapons of good as the capstone, Paladins lost their last good reason to stay pure. S&B Pally tanks are IMHO better off going with a 1-2 level fighter and/or monk splash, while DPS focused Paladins should be doing a deeper multiclass. A pure Paladin S&B tank can still be viable. It's just not as optimal.

To the OP, if I was going to stay pure as a Half-elf, I'd look at the following feat list:

Feats:
    1) Power Attack
    Half-elf) No options seem that great any more. The only advantage for half elf on a pure S&B Pally tank is the 2nd intimidate button.
    3) Cleave
    6) Great Cleave
    9) Improved Crit - slashing
    12) Shield Mastery
    15) Improved Shield Mastery
    18) Khopesh (if you have a lot of good khopeshes, which sounds like you do)
    21) Overwhelming Crit
    24+) Choice - I'm in the middle of a TR, so I haven't tested the new high level epic feats. Perhaps someone else could make a suggestion
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    With the loss of weapons of good as the capstone, Paladins lost their last good reason to stay pure.
    Can you take the capstone from one PrE while taking the T5 abilities from another PrE? I'm thinking put 41 APs into KotC for capstone while putting the rest into SD for Harbored by Light + max Sacred Defense (T5). Not saying that's a good idea - not even sure there's 35 APs worth of T1-T4 KotC stuff that I'd want - just wondering if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Can you take the capstone from one PrE while taking the T5 abilities from another PrE? I'm thinking put 41 APs into KotC for capstone while putting the rest into SD for Harbored by Light + max Sacred Defense (T5). Not saying that's a good idea - not even sure there's 35 APs worth of T1-T4 KotC stuff that I'd want - just wondering if it works.
    I'm not sure. I haven't tried it. Per the prereqs as they are written, it seems like you could do this, but you're going to have to waste a bunch of points in the Knight tree just to have 40 spent in the tree. I count up only around 30APs that are optimal to take in the core and tiers 1-4. Certainly you could spend the extra 10 points. It might be kind of fun to have some of the extras, but they will be limited in their use.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

I'm actually thinking it would work better on a S&B fighter: 41 APs in Kensei for doublestrike capstone, 30+ APs in SD to pick up Block & Cut. You miss out on Keen Edge, but get 40% doublestrike 10 secs 15% DS 10 secs etc. Add in LSM (+15%) and some gear to boost it further. Hmmm...might have to try that on Lama; but that's a build for another thread.

Hi what did you end up doing?
    I have a 18/2 Paladin/Fighter Helf with FVS dilly that I am doing to use the free MOTU LR+0 on tomorrow.

I am not going to take the FVS dilly this time because this is a Bastard sword and Board build and using wands or scrolls messes up my HP due to the stupid way that the Defender stance works now.

So mainly I am trying to figure out what helf dilly to take.
    Thinking Monk for the healing amp or Rogue for the sneak attack. Of course being tanky I should not get much use out of sneak attack since I will be attempting to hold aggro. Of course attempt is the key word here so maybe Rogue would work out well.
    Conn Niall Paladin 20 TRx2
    Cormac Mac Airt Ranger/Rogue 12/1
    Connyl Niall Paladin 1 Connlyssa Paladin/Fighter 18/2