Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    At higher levels Strength, Deadly, Seeker/Excp. Seeker and +W's from special attacks start to matter much more than the base damage, if you can multiply all of those more.
    Except the more +W bonuses you have, the more your base dmg matters. Also Deathnip has base 1.5[W] bonus; a lot of epic weapons are 2.5 or 3[W]. If you're in LD and have Headman's Chop+Adaxus - or maybe Mornh+Pulverizer - so much the better. But I'm bad at crunching DPS numbers, so I was hoping someone else could figure out what the "tipping point" was.

Ok, here’s what I did:

1) Dropped Tower Shield, and Two Handed Fighting.
    2) Took Cleave, Great Cleave, IC: Slashing, and Power Attack.
    3) Took Bulwark of Defense as an Epic feat (I’m now lvl 21).
    4) Re-worked my enhancements basically going up most of the SD tree (I ignored the auras like I did last time) then played around with the KotC / HotD tree and Human Racial tree.

Overall, I’m seeing something crit numbers that look to be double or maybe triple their values from the old setup. And taking cleave for S&B helps a lot grabbing aggro and doing AoE damage. So, I’m pretty happy at this point with where I’ve gotten to with damage.

The downside is that I took a hit somewhere with HP and AC, though I lost nothing with PRR – I haven’t quite figured out where this actually happened. I think I may be dorked myself on my CON stat when I re-did the stats, but now at lvl 21 in-stance with EDs I have near 900 HP. So I can’t really complain.

I managed to get the PDK set, so my AC has now been bumped to about 85. Now I’m ahead of where I was when I hit 20.

Re-doing the trees was problematic. By the time I got what I wanted with SD, it left me with something in the range of 20 AP to invest. So I initially tried to sink them the other PrE to get both extra smites and healing amp. Problem was is that I could get 10% healing amp, the 2D6 good damage to all evil enemies, and Exalted Smites but that was it. Going human I could get the 20% healing amp, and S&B fighting style, as well as CON increases. I had a few points left so I dumped them into the other PrE to get me two extra smites. I might, for the heck of it, go back and maybe try spending all of those 20-some points in HotD tree and see what that nets me, but for now I’m not all that upset about how it turned out.

My first trial after the change-over was an elite run in one of the King’s Forest quests (the one with the 4 necromancers in it). Total chaos in the run, everyone died at least once (I only had one death), but we completed. All-in-all he did pretty well.

A second test was Thread of the Weave (hard) in King’s Forest at the end-fight with a stupid hjealbot and a fairly squishy party. I was the last guy standing at one point, completely surrounded by mobs. Not only was I able to kill the majority of the mobs surrounding me, but rez everyone else (including the hjealbot) to move to the boss fight – which was a cakewalk by comparison.

And I think this was before I upgraded my armor.

All-in-all I feel pretty confident with the new setup. Thanks for some of the pointers.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I'm struggling to figure out what's worth 60 APs in SD. What I'd probably do:
    • 6 APs in core enhs inc. capstone
    • 6 APs in T1 for max LoH and Sacred Defense
    • 3 APs in T2 for Sacred Defense
    • 6 APs in T3 for both Sacred Defenses (notice a pattern yet?)
    • 4 APs in T4 for Swift & Sacred Defense
    • 9 APs in T5 for Habored by Light & Sacred Defense

Looks like you need 7 pts of filler. Maybe bump up your aura? I just don't feel like investing in AC is worth it anymore, though.

Regardless, it sounds like you're having more fun with your pally, and that's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I'm struggling to figure out what's worth 60 APs in SD. What I'd probably do:
    • 6 APs in core enhs inc. capstone
    • 6 APs in T1 for max LoH and Sacred Defense
    • 3 APs in T2 for Sacred Defense
    • 6 APs in T3 for both Sacred Defenses (notice a pattern yet?)
    • 4 APs in T4 for Swift & Sacred Defense
    • 9 APs in T5 for Habored by Light & Sacred Defense

Looks like you need 7 pts of filler. Maybe bump up your aura? I just don't feel like investing in AC is worth it anymore, though.

Regardless, it sounds like you're having more fun with your pally, and that's what matters.
    I took all of the core enhancements.

I maxed:

Sacred Armor Mastery,
    Sacred Shield Mastery,
    Hardy Defense,
    Resilient Defense,
    Inciting Defense,
    Reinforced Armor,
    Reinforced Shield,
    Harbored By Light,

Took:

Swift Defense
    CON Bump (x2)

Put points into:

Saves Boost (2 Ranks)
    Defense Boost (1 Rank),
    Item Defense (1 Rank)
    Instinctive Defense (1 Rank),
    Extra LoH (x2).

Then I took 1 core enhancement HotD, and put 2 ranks into Extra Smites.

Under the human tree I took Damage Boost, Human Adaptability STR, Focused (1 rank), Improved Recovery (2 of them), and 3 ranks of Shield Mastery.

So that's the layout. Yeah, I know AC is not what it used to be, but mobs can beat on me for seemingly hours and I take very little damage. As a solo toon, he is now pretty capable. Coupled with Unyielding Sentinel, I have pretty much all the smites and LoH I need between shrines (and I'm still halfway leveling through the ED right now).

I also took him out on a few elite Drow House runs in a group. I was a little dismayed by his performance in grabbing and keeping aggro, so I need to work on that a little bit. But for the most part he holds his own and is a decent contributor. What I really need is an Oathblade, and I think I'll be set for the time being.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12