So, after the EP, I went pure SD on my pally, and played around with the feats so that I could get THF.
It is, at best, “meh.” I dropped Khopesh for it. I’ve tried Greatswords, Greataxes, and thinking about Falcions. The reality is that with a Scimitar, it seems that I’m pulling better numbers overall and staying S&B. Seeing that my DPS is really out the window anyways with the SD line, I’m kinda wondering if I should just LR and use that THF feat somewhere else.
My feat layout includes (and I’m trying to do this from memory, so bear with me):
Improved Shield Mastery,
Weapon Focus – Slashing,
Tower Shield Proficiency,
Empower Healing Spell,
The two feats for Unyielding Sentinel,
Either Power Critical or Improved Critical.
The Unyielding Sentinel feats give me a boost to longswords, but also that “fixes everything” heal ability that I sometimes use. Tower shield is kind of a “must have” feat for a tank, as are the shield feats, though Improved Shield Mastery is up for debate. Power Critical / Improved Critical is another “must have” as my crits would completely suck without it, and Empower Healing is going to one of those cemented into my build.
So, in the end my sacrificial feats are Toughness, Two Handed Fighting, Improved Shield Mastery, and the two feats for Unyielding Sentinel. The way I look at it: I either dump that extra healing and the longsword bonus, or I dump Two Handed Fighting.
So I thought I’d leave it up to the stat magicians. Here are my questions:
1) Will using falcions in my current build show any improvement over greatswords and greataxes?
2) How much will dumping a couple of my feats and adding maybe GTHF and/or PA get me over what I have with a Scimitar and Shield?
3) Do I actually need Improved Shield Mastery for the PRR and double-strike (I’m standing at 114 PRR at lvl 20 just starting my EDs, and shooting for a PDK armor at the moment), or can I dump that to pick up GTHF feat.
4) Will adding one feat to somehow improve my THF even make that much of a difference? I mean, can I double my DPS without having to throw out a lot of stuff that works very well defensively, or am I making an investment for something less than a 20% increase?
If you’re going to reply, please try to keep the discussion narrowed to the following constraints:
1) Don’t tell me to splash. I want to stay pure. I’m not interested in multi-classing.
2) Unless an ED fixes this issue altogether, keep it limited to feats.\
3) I have a human pally, I’m going to stay a human pally for the time being. Don’t tell me to change races.
4) Stick to SD. I don’t want to hear about the virtues of KotC / HotD.
5) I want to stay a tank. Don’t tell me about how there is no need for tanks at endgame. I don’t care.
Right now, after just turning lvl 20, without EDs I’m standing at a 75 AC, 114 PRR, and 850+ HP in-stance. I’ve taken out the dragon in the King’s Forest without much of a challenge (it’d be nice if the dragon would have stood still while I kill him or her, but that’s another issue altogether). It takes a long time to beat stuff down, but I have this +4 Wounding Scimitar of (CON) Poison – which is a lvl 16 weapon BTW – I kinda go through mobs like a hot knife through cold butter. They beat on me, I don’t take much if any damage, while I go through one guy after another taking them out. It works, but I’d like to see if I can somehow do better.
P.S. The most HP I lose in most encounters is when I switch from one weapons set to the other. So It’d be nice if THE DEVS FIXED THIS ISSUE!!!!
But I’m not bitter…