Community Member

Default Dex to damage broken for handwraps?

Hi all,

I'm running a Dex-based monk/rogue hybrid, and I've found that while unarmed attacks are supposed gain Dex to damage while utilizing both the Weapon Finesse feat and the Dagger in the Back Assassin enhancement, it's not applying for my toon. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Toadvine View Post
    Hi all,

I'm running a Dex-based monk/rogue hybrid, and I've found that while unarmed attacks are supposed gain Dex to damage while utilizing both the Weapon Finesse feat and the Dagger in the Back Assassin enhancement, it's not applying for my toon. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Please tell me where you think the enhancement says dex to damage applies to handwraps....

Dagger in the Back: You can now use your Dexterity for damage with Daggers and Kukris. If you possess the Weapon Finesse feat, this also applies to melee weapons with which you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit.

handwraps are not melee weapons.
    Last edited by Impaqt; 09-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Please tell me where you think the enhancement says dex to damage applies to handwraps....

Dagger in the Back: You can now use your Dexterity for damage with Daggers and Kukris. If you possess the Weapon Finesse feat, this also applies to melee weapons with which you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit.

How about the Improved Weapon Finesse Tier 2 ability from Deepwood Sniper? It says "You can use your Dexterity modifier for damage when wielding melee weapons with which you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit.", I'm at work so I can't test if this means no handwraps? Can someone confirm it?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    How about the Improved Weapon Finesse Tier 2 ability from Deepwood Sniper? It says "You can use your Dexterity modifier for damage when wielding melee weapons with which you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit.", I'm at work so I can't test if this means no handwraps? Can someone confirm it?
    Handwraps still aren't weapons. They have no damage die or crit profiles of their own. They merely modify your own "natural weapon", your unarmed attacks. They're an accessory that goes in your Main-hand slot.

Community Member

Read the Enhancement again. It says if you have weapon finesse that you can use dex for damange on weapons the you can use weapon finesse on. Which includes ALL unarmed attacks including handwraps.

DEX to DMG not being applied to handwraps is a known issue:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...l-Known-Issues

Dagger in the Back is probably WAI but Imp Weapons Finesse is broken for unarmed/handwraps.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

yar in order for ANYTHING to work with wraps it has to literally say UNARMED combat. Or along those lines. Any mention of anything not saying unarmed, or the word weapons does not apply to hand wraps. Been that way for a long time, and I believe the dev answer was once, that basically handwraps were a pain in the ass and they would not code right no matter what when trying to apply the same stuff they use for weapons.

So either they forgot to add in a separate thing, or they had no intention for it to go with hand wraps. Either way unless they specifically add unarmed dmg to that enhancement, hand wraps will never work with it.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    ...unless they specifically add unarmed dmg to that enhancement, hand wraps will never work with it.
    And even then it's a carp-shoot. In the words of MajorMal: "Handwraps are borked."
    That said, I will continue to use them 'cause even borked they still kick ass
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

This has been the issue since shroud, handwraps aren't considered melee weapons as far as the code is concerned.

The issue I have with this, is that handwraps aren't what finesse is used on, your fists are, and they ARE melee weapons.

This should be bugged until they come right out and tell us one way or the other.
    Historically: If every melee nerf after each melee class revamp was reverted back to its pre-nerf version, which melee build(s) are OP in the current meta?

Default i know this is a year old thread, but i couldn't find the answer

I know this is old, but have devs actually fixed it or told us if this was intentional or not? Sorry again, i couldn't find an answer anywhere

Still no way to get dex to damage unarmed.