Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Community Member

Red face Beauties of Wheloon

Are you reading this Turbine?

The Wheloon wilderness area is classic DDO. Up, down and sideways. This is keeping me entertained for hours. (Reminds me of the Pit, best quest in DDO.)

Also the final quest, Through a Mirror. No spoilers, but it's a great puzzle the first time through.

So often all I see on this forum is critical of the game. I have posted a few of those threads myself. But I'd like to let Turbine know what I like about the game and why I keep coming back. It's content like this.

Wheloon = Epic success!

Yep I enjoy Wheloon quite a bit. Wish there were more events/rares, but oh well. I don't even mind the random Pepto colored sessions from time to time.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

I have to agree. From a pure layout perspective the area is very cool. This was probably the thing I was most looking forward to with this update, and I have not been disappointed.

I might make a couple of tweaks, but all-in-all, very happy with it.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

It would be nice if the journals we already visited turned to a different color. I don't like hearing the same thing twice.

Other than that I think this explorer is fresh and I like it also.

don't forget the lovely lag in a lesson of deception (don't need a red alert, with yellow only u have a nice and crappy lag)

also the same in thrill of the hunter end fight, 2234 howlers at once

oh almost forgot the end fight in friends in low places, with 42342424 mobs at once, i mean, seriously, no DA, but easily more than 40 mobs (think was heroic elite, duo, no assassins luckily, but how? where? was that a "all wave spawn at once"?)

wait, isn't the fake difficulty messing these quests, so nice quests (because they are, at least they're new and easy lol) but fake difficulty is screwing em ALL, spawning mobs when u're in front of em is good idea, if u balance the spawning numbers (and they don't auto aggro XD), also could make em spawn once u're PAST em, so mobs don't get bukakked once they spawn and take that "second delay targetting aggro"
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

It's hard to really like Wheloon with the purple haze effect being so awful, if they removed that or toned it way way down, it would actually be an ok ish series of quests.

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    It would be nice if the journals we already visited turned to a different color. I don't like hearing the same thing twice.

Other than that I think this explorer is fresh and I like it also.
    That, my friend is a great idea +1

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadnettle View Post
    Are you reading this Turbine?

The Wheloon wilderness area is classic DDO. Up, down and sideways. This is keeping me entertained for hours. (Reminds me of the Pit, best quest in DDO.)

Also the final quest, Through a Mirror. No spoilers, but it's a great puzzle the first time through.

So often all I see on this forum is critical of the game. I have posted a few of those threads myself. But I'd like to let Turbine know what I like about the game and why I keep coming back. It's content like this.

Wheloon = Epic success!
    I am sorry but Wheloon wilderness is a dark, hard to see, seizure inducing, headache giving, catastrophe of a place.
    It's so bad and the devs KNEW it was so bad, they actually added the option to pay to get to the quests.

I am not critical of the game, I am critical of the bait and switch policy. (bait: pay to play more quests. switch: make the quests so hard to get to, so painful (physically!) that they cause you to pay MORE to play what YOU ALREADY PAID TO ACCESS!)
    I am still sorry I paid real money to gain access to it.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSFWEl View Post
    I am sorry but Wheloon wilderness is a dark, hard to see, seizure inducing, headache giving, catastrophe of a place.
    This.. the place is a maze and even when you know WHERE the quest is located, it can take 15 minutes or more just trying to find the right path to the quest. This is the reason I HATE wheloon. When all you want to do is run the quests, and I did enjoy the quests, even Mirror, spending a lot of time just trying to get to the quest is frustration I don't need.

I don't like maze like wilderness areas with truck loads of mobs that can see invisible stuff. That is my biggest beef with Wheloon. The purple haze which can be blinding is a minor annoyance. The wilderness is a major frustration.

Default Not a fan of most new explorer areas

Not a fan of most new explorer areas, this includes: wheelon, stormhorn, high road, kings forest, underdark, & Shynderlynn.

Why? It is because 1st of all I'm not a fan of slayers and due to the fact I'm not a fan of slayers there is no incentive for me to run through them except to get to the quest ( I almost always invis to quest, and if party members want to kill on the way that's their prerogative).

Prior update explorer areas all had a reason to kill named bosess (amrath- tod boot/shroud ing. cannith - items and alchemical ing, vale - shroud ing, necro - taps/tome&shield pages) this made it fun and worth while for me.

Its my opinion, yours may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I ran Where there is Smoke ELITE on a level 4, first life 28 hit point rogue, never TRd, no guild buffs, using a hireling cleric. One shotted two times at the first dog area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!
    Main toons on G-land: IronMunter, Iamhal, Mehhh, Dahh

Quote Originally Posted by cave_diver View Post
    Not a fan of most new explorer areas, this includes: wheelon, stormhorn, high road, kings forest, underdark, & Shynderlynn.

Why? It is because 1st of all I'm not a fan of slayers and due to the fact I'm not a fan of slayers there is no incentive for me to run through them except to get to the quest ( I almost always invis to quest, and if party members want to kill on the way that's their prerogative).

Prior update explorer areas all had a reason to kill named bosess (amrath- tod boot/shroud ing. cannith - items and alchemical ing, vale - shroud ing, necro - taps/tome&shield pages) this made it fun and worth while for me.

Its my opinion, yours may vary.
    I can understand your dislike for Slayer areas, but the MOTU areas area goldmine of easy XP. In Sschinderlyn alne can get over 100K in a very short time.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    I can understand your dislike for Slayer areas, but the MOTU areas area goldmine of easy XP. In Sschinderlyn alne can get over 100K in a very short time.
    Definitely agree that xp is pretty good (its why I invis and let others do the work ), I also like the artwork for the most part - except for that purple haze. I just need more incentive like they had in other older slayer areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I ran Where there is Smoke ELITE on a level 4, first life 28 hit point rogue, never TRd, no guild buffs, using a hireling cleric. One shotted two times at the first dog area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!
    Main toons on G-land: IronMunter, Iamhal, Mehhh, Dahh

Default What causes the haze?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    The purple haze which can be blinding is a minor annoyance.
    Speaking of which, has anyone figured out just what kicks that off? I am not under the impression that it is random, because there are at least two places that it seems to kick of at every time I pass by there. Maybe with a particular spawn or something?
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadnettle View Post
    Reminds me of the Pit, best quest in DDO.
    I cannot think of a better way you could have said it sucks. Anyone who thinks The Pit is the best quest in the game wouldn't know a good module if it kicked them in the XP. The Pit is a paragon of poor design on the part of the developers and how they nerf the game just to tell their story. Why, you ask?

Because it, and quests like it are one of the main reasons this isn't available when is absolutely, positively should be:
    Fly
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Travel 3
    Components: V, S, F/DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
    The subject can fly at a speed of 60 feet (or 40 feet if it wears medium or heavy armor, or if it carries a medium or heavy load). It can ascend at half speed and descend at double speed, and its maneuverability is good. Using a fly spell requires only as much concentration as walking, so the subject can attack or cast spells normally. The subject of a fly spell can charge but not run, and it cannot carry aloft more weight than its maximum load, plus any armor it wears.

Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds. If it reaches the ground in that amount of time, it lands safely. If not, it falls the rest of the distance, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet of fall. Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this way if the fly spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an antimagic field.

Arcane Focus
    A wing feather from any bird.
    And with the Shadowfell effect, random effect named loot, and pay to travel. . . No. These areas are emblematic of what is wrong with the game and current dev team.

Community Member

Default agreed

wheloon rocks!

I agree it's beautiful and they quests are fun. But the poor named items and loot make this an undesirable place for me to spend my time.

The purple haze has also got to go.

Community Member

Default poor loot ?

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    I agree it's beautiful and they quests are fun. But the poor named items and loot make this an undesirable place for me to spend my time.

the quests rewards seems nice to me, +8 stat min lvl 15 is no good ? Maybe i'm missing another piece of shinies in the game that's better and easier to get.

I like to read quests stories and bad loot or xp don't make me avoid running something tbh :P just different playstyles (i actually like to nerf myself a bit, go slow and do content on hard/elite, even if it takes hours and offer lame xp/loot)
    Last edited by harry-pancreas; 10-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harry-pancreas View Post
    the quests rewards seems nice to me, +8 stat min lvl 15 is no good ? Maybe i'm missing another piece of shinies in the game that's better and easier to get.

I like to read quests stories and bad loot or xp don't make me avoid running something tbh :P just different playstyles (i actually like to nerf myself a bit, go slow and do content on hard/elite, even if it takes hours and offer lame xp/loot)
    The heroic rewards are indeed nice but once you have them why ever go back? Plus these are like the Korthos quests which always have the same rewards. So not only do you not get good drops in the quests (most are rubbish) you get nothing useful for a reward either.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post

Oh YES !!!

I would enjoy Wheloon a lot, but the Purple Pikachu Seizure Inducing Haze is so painful that I don't enjoy Wheloon.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

I am not a fan of the thorn attacks of the hounds in Wheloon. They last a trillion years and cause your character to stumble up every second, preventing you from using and opening things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast