Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    How about a system that looks and feels just like the character leveling system, or even the character Enhancement system. At chr creation you can pick one weapon, armor, and ring, that will become your ... i dunno, signature gearset. Every 4 levels, you can enhance the set by spending AP. Things like metal type, Elemental damage, durability, +enh bonus, etc., all the way up to adding an augment slot or two. Maybe the upgrade also requires tokens of the 12... or something. I could get behind an idea like that, if someone smarter than me had the gumption to flesh it out.
    For a different game maybe but not for dnd

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Wait, I thunk up another idea. Hierlooms.

At chr creation, each class gets one piece of kit handed down by their ancestor (or maybe 2 pieces, 1 weapon, 1 gear). Arties maybe get a goggs, Rogs a ring, Wizzies a wand, etc. Every level some part of it gets a +1 (or +x%, or whatever the case may be). Every 4 levels some new effect is added, like a Skill boost (stackable obviously, Heirloom bonus), or damage type, or AC or PRR, again, whatever the case may be. And every 10 lvls, add an augment slot. So when we hit 30 someday, we'll have 3 slots.

Obviously these pieces would not necessarily be 'the best in slot' all the time, but situationally, thematically. Like the Ancestor was a Wraith hunter, so the piece would have some synergy in those situations, and then also be 'pretty good, or nearly the best' the rest of the time. Maybe as a drawback make them low durability (no permanent damage cuz they're bound), but not likely to last through a death, for example (but repairable obviously).

just a thot.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    For a different game maybe but not for dnd
    Uska disagrees with me. what a shock.

Anyways, I dunno, if done right it could be cool... maybe.

Community Member

We need more interesting loot like this:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Divine_Vengeance

Also, they need to update this for epics =(

Quote Originally Posted by Quiller67 View Post
    I'm going to come right out and say it. I hate the D&D equipment system in general. I hate the DDO equipment system even more.

Why?

You remember that bit in Lord of the rings where Gimli is beating on Orcs with his keen greataxe but then switches to acid-spewing when the ogre showed up on account of their superior fortification? Or where Frodo traded in Sting and his mithril mail shirt for a really cool breast plate of negative level protection and vorpal shortsword?

No, because it didn't happen. People got their gear and they stayed with their gear and gave their gear cool names. Generally, that's pretty much the rule in fantasy stories.
    While I agree with you in principle, let’s remember that Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit had maybe a handful of monsters in them.

D&D and DDO has something like 50 times the number of possible monsters, politicians, and including gods and demi-gods. Call me crazy but you’re unlikely to take on Lloth with a +1 short sword of vermin bane.

(Technically, Sting was an elf-crafted weapon from Gondolin that was allegedly used in the wars between the elf dominions and the Orc / Goblins in the time of Melkor. So they may as well be considered lesser orc-bane weapons).

Default My 2 coppers

In Conan the Barbarian (the orignal movie) Conan goes through a lot of weapons before he settles on his great sword (I believe
    this is reflected in his gladiator montage). Also, in the movie Willow, Mad Martigan goes through several swords as well.

Also, DDO is game that tries to provide hours and hours of play value. Books and movies only have so long to tell a story.
    How many times can you change weapons, especially named weapons, before it gets monotonous and convoluted. They are
    different mediums and need different devices to keep us entertained. I know I like to upgrade my weapons and armor every few
    levels just to have something different.
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

When my equipment doesn't work I take a blue pill.

Hmmm...now that you mention it, I do like the idea of equipment starting at a certain level and automatically getting more powerful as you level up; I think this idea should be implemented for certain iconic heroes, whose powers are based highly on these weapons, but there should be other alternatives to such weapons as well for all characters.
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Anyone here read any of the books with Jarlaxle in them? He appears as a plot advancing character in many books, but also carries his own trilogy with he and Entreri as main characters.

He carries TONS of magical items, and pretty much has an answer for any type of encounter.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

and... lets get back to the OP.

To the OP, what you are suggesting is what Alchemical was to an extent, you start with a low level blank, and then as you add more power to it, it increases in ML.

The idea was again used by many crafters, myself included, that would do things like Craft a Low Level Twink item, and then increase it as the main toon leveled.

Case in point, I made a pair of level 1 Acid Dwarf Axes, when my toon made 3rd level, added Bleed to them, then I added a +1 to it when my toon made 5th, so I increased the weapon as my character leveled, back then, we also had guild slots, and metal properties, and one of those axes was cold iron, the other was silver, and one of them (the cold iron) had a small guild slot.

Now with sockets, we can do that and add in gems at the same time, so we already have a means in the game to have our gear "grow" with us as we level up, if that is something we want to do.

just saying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123