Community Member

Default my TR New Life?

!!!!Moving to cleric forum for build discussion!!!!!
    i decided to move this thread to the cleric forum because the discussion seemed to be more suited to cleric build choice if you want to contribute please follow this link https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5098220
    Last edited by mmofan; 09-12-2013 at 03:35 AM.

i don't think you will get much out of bows if your going full cleric, bows aren't very good on their own without manyshot/10k stars. being a cleric you lend yourself quite well to 10k stars but would require 6 monk and many shot would also take 6 ranger. think about what your looking for out of this

solo heals?
    party heals?
    raid heals?
    temp spell point from bows?
    good dps?
    something to do in between healing if you dcs aren't quite there?

i can suggest a few things if you give an outline of what you want but full cleric with bows isnt going to be as good as full cleric with spell dcs.

but if you are intent of doing that, ranger past life will be the way to go.
    Elemo IronCast - Patorikku Yama - Happyfruit Wardancer - Toysoldier - Wookiee ~Ghallanda~

Quote Originally Posted by mmofan View Post
    i don't mind healing but i don't see my self as main heal i like to DPS? i like playing as a caster/healer, is there a battle cleric/caster hybrid? i was thinking with radiant aura, a few monk lvls, aoe heals, i could be a melee party healer, trowing in a few cast here and there.
    Radiant Aura may sound great, but it won't keep a party alive by itself. Be prepared to do more than just "aura pike" as it is typically referred to.

the main thing is what weapon do i use for dps in between heals/ spells. all things considered i want to be mostly a cleric if i splash no more than 3 lvls. temp spell point from bows sounds interesting only in that it might help me cast/heal more.
    Without the majority of the ranged combat feats typically taken, including but not limited to Bow Strength, Manyshot, Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot, your damage output will be practically non-existent. Bows are not like melee weapons where you only really need Strength to get acceptable results. Outside of a few really good class combinations the majority are just awful.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 09-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

I'm saving mine, you never know when it might be helpful in a big way.
    Shifting past lives is more difficult for legend lives.

For any sort of spellcaster, wizard is the best past live with +2 spell pen,
    along with a nice purchasable PL feat (+1 to all DCs and MM SLA).

Ranger PL is second choice because its grand for Xbow / Longbow users with +2 damage.

i probably go full cleric, i would mind splashing monk i like his play style but 6 seems like too much.
    2 Monk is fine. I have seen Cleric AA's before U19 and I am sure I will see them now also.

I don't mind healing but i don't see my self as main heal i like to DPS? i like playing as a caster/healer, is there a battle cleric/caster hybrid? i was thinking with radiant aura, a few monk lvls, aoe heals, i could be a melee party healer, trowing in a few cast here and there. the main thing is what weapon do i use for dps in between heals/ spells. all things considered i want to be mostly a cleric if i splash no more than 3 lvls. temp spell point from bows sounds interesting only in that it might help me cast/heal more.
    17/3 and 18/2 are common splits if you don't plan on spending time in EE or just working on past lives.

Most common is 18/2 Cleric/Monk

Common 17/3 splits are:
    • 2 Monk/1 Wizard (not as great with U19 and new enhancements) but still viable
    • 2 Monk/1 Fighter
    • 2 Monk/1 Rogue (Flavor build to open chests. Otherwise same as 18/2 above)
    • 2 Monk/1 Barbarian (Not sure why but I have seen them.)

Also, there is the Dwarven 19/1 Cleric/Fighter

All of the builds will allow you to (AoE) Heal and DPS. Casting will be weaker than going pure though but if your not doing EE, should be able to get your DC's (Evocation or Necromancy) into respectable numbers. Cleric's are already feat starved so you are kinda forced into Caster or Melee.

Again though, if you want to go AA, it is possible, and I have seen it done. My guess is Cleric AA would mainly be a CC option locking down mobs with Paralyzing arrows so the party takes less damage. Going pure Elf Cleric may also be an option if you don't mind the -2 Con as racial tree's are "meh" at best now and Elf gives you +2 Dex, Spell Pen & SP's (racial enhancement), and +Bow damage; all of which will also help qualify you for AA.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    2 Monk/1 Barbarian (Not sure why but I have seen them.)

fairly certain you've never seen this class combo.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    2 Monk is fine. I have seen Cleric AA's before U19 and I am sure I will see them now also.
    My housemate and I have both done this build, and it's actually a very good build. Right now you will need to play an Elf to do arcane archer and you will want to have at least a 17 base dex (that includes your tomes if you have any) in order to pick up the Manyshot feat. You need a 19 base if you want improved precise shot and a 21 base for combat archery. Do something like this with your feats (although pb, rs, and ms are the only absolutely required ones--the others are optional in various ways).

1 Point Blank
    3 Rapid shot
    6 Manyshot
    9 empower healing spell
    12 maximize spell
    15 empower spell
    18 quicken spell
    21 combat archery
    24 precise shot
    27 improved precise shot
    Monk 1 Zen Archery
    Monk 2 toughness

Generally not worth it to start with an 18 wis--16 or 17 is fine and this lets you invest in other stuff you will need like con and dex in order to make it a viable build.

If you're not planning to do what I did and triple stack sorc, wizard, fvs, cleric, and ranger past lives, it doesn't matter what you take you'll barely be able to tell any difference. You will not be an eE offensive caster even with the best gear in the game, but you'll be just fine on heals and support dps.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member

what is EE, U19?
    Last edited by mmofan; 09-12-2013 at 03:06 AM.

U19=update 19=expansion a couple weeks ago
    EE=epic elite difficulty

Also look into 1 ranger, especially if you're not going elf. +75 positive spell power through deepwood sniper, and free bow strength which is a great feat saver (again assuming you aren't elf and getting dex to damage through enhancements).

For the past life, if you want casting I recommend sorcerer, you will need that DC more than anything. You could do all of them though (3 times even), if you felt like it

And as for the people dissing the build idea, I have made it work myself (as a favored soul, but close enough). Though I did dump my DC's.

so i am going to true reincarnate and my plan for my new life is an half-elf arcane archer cleric, i have the 20+ greater res stone so i can pick any class i want to get its past lives.
    I have done similar builds in the past. The primary reason for going arcane archer is to add damage without using spells. It is very doable but tight on feat selections. This results in having to make serious concessions concerning feats.

Most people would argue against the class choice on this basis. When they look at "arcane archer" they are thinking about ranged damage. That will be very difficult with cleric as the character class.

This means you need to make some difficult choices. Start with why it is you want to be a cleric at all. What is it that cleric is getting you that you want to play. Next, take a hard look at what it is that you are getting by being an arcane archer. Are you wanting to play arcane archer for the ranged damage that it has or are you wanting it in order to simplify soloing and to provide some extra ranged damage during quests.

If the second of these is the reason you want to be an arcane archer then you can by-pass most of the normal archer feats as they are totally irrelevant to you. Arcane archer just gives you some added damage capabilities and lets you contribute from afar while still using spells in a traditional cleric role. BTW, that doesn't mean "healer" in DDO as clerics have a large selection of offensive spells that they can (and many feel should) be using.

If you want arcane archer because it seems to rock and you want to do a lot of ranged damage and if you want cleric for the self healing and buffs then, IMO, you should seriously consider splashing deeply into monk and ranger. The ratio of classes might differ but I'd do at least 2 monk/6 ranger/12 cleric on this type of a build if my goal was ranged damage.

Which brings me to your race choice. Half-elf isn't a good choice for the build. Elf is definitely better. Elf racial enhancements let you benefit from DEX to damage. This lets you build to take advantage of the monk levels granting evasion and 2 feats. It allows you to be DEX/CON/WIS based with stat increases in either DEX or WIS depending on your preference. In a damage focused build I'd go DEX.

Six ranger levels lets you get the full benefits from ranger arcane archer saving enhancement points spent in the elf tree. It also lets you take full advantage of the tempest tree for when forced to melee. The monk levels are enough to get you access to all stances -- although you'll have to select them as feats rather than getting them autogranted to you.

If the goal is a damage focused arcane archer this will be far superior to a pure cleric choice. Some might argue the benefit of pure cleric for damage and that is correct -- but dependent on spell points. Once more, if going that route where you use spells for damage then arcane archer is just a supplement to the traditional cleric role.

As to what is the best past life, if you are spell focused in a pure cleric then a past life that adds to spell DC is best. If you intend to be ranged damage focused then ranger is best.

Default i semi liked mt 18/2 cleric/ranger BUTTT <---big but

the timing was bad. with the animation of shooting a bow and needing to heal .. allways sucked. (manyshot = me having to stop and heal some SOB) you can go plink plink but it will hurt

This is why I ask if the build is meant to be a cleric that just uses arcane archer as a way to add in damage from a safe distance or to help with soloing.

I found arcane archer to be a great way to save spell points on builds in heroic content. While leveling you don't normally have all of the spell point generating stuff you'd like to have and being able to do something other than kill by spell points let me avoid expensive store mnemonic potions or expensive AH purchases. It turned out to be a great way to extend the time I could go between shrines and to avoid chugging a potion all of the time.

But, it was mostly just useful when soloing and not when in a group where I might need to actually use a curative spell somewhere.

IMO the decision on whether the intended build is a cleric that just happens to have some arcane archer for solo and occasional group use or whether it is an arcane archer meant to deal important ranged damage in a quest must be answered first. If the former then that indicates one build direction, if the later it suggests something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    I found arcane archer to be a great way to save spell points on builds in heroic content.
    So is simply grabbing a two-handed weapon and swinging it around. Best part is it doesn't burn a lot of enhancement points or feats to be useful.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by icekinslayer View Post
    fairly certain you've never seen this class combo.
    Ugh...you are more than "fairly certain." Thanks for pointing it out to the OP.

/heads to the corner for a "time out"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    So is simply grabbing a two-handed weapon and swinging it around. Best part is it doesn't burn a lot of enhancement points or feats to be useful.
    THF works alright in low level content but quickly drops off in value except for warforged. The advantage to ranged combat is that the enemy seldom gets close and arcane archer helps that to be even more true as difficulty increases.

As to burning enhancement points and feats, that is a different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Yes, but that's much easier to get your butt handed to you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeebaNeighba View Post
    Yes, but that's much easier to get your butt handed to you.
    vary true i see that on my cleric now