Community Member

Default What's after Embrace of the Spider Queen?

There seems to be a whole lot more of the Embrace of the Spider Queen on the shard auction house. And cheaper than what they used to be.

What's driving the sales? What are people switching to post U19?

I'm curious as the armor covers a few bases and seems a keeper for a while (mine has the Knight's Loyalty upgrade). Sure, you buy armor with a high AC bonus, or some useful property, but you seem to be giving a lot away in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhennan View Post
    There seems to be a whole lot more of the Embrace of the Spider Queen on the shard auction house. And cheaper than what they used to be.

I'm curious as the armor covers a few bases and seems a keeper for a while (mine has the Knight's Loyalty upgrade). Sure, you buy armor with a high AC bonus, or some useful property, but you seem to be giving a lot away in doing so.
    Probably the same with dragon helms. The plethora of +8- to +10 stat items in the random loot tables means people are ditching the old named items with +8 Stat for insight bonus versions.

EDIT: As for what comes after its bascially dragon scale. Blue got a bit of a nerf due to the changes to Greater/Major arcane lore but the set bonus is still decent. Likewise for white, since protection all the way to 10 is now in the random loot tables. The shield AC is unique however if marginally useful. The set bonus is still top tier and am thinking of switching my casters to white instead of blue. Black probably still best in slot for melee DPS since has enchantments that can't be found anywhere else and with a solid set bonus.
    Last edited by kuro_zero; 09-11-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I'm a bad turtle. After reading the post, all I could think of was "Well, after the embrace of the spider queen probably comes the diseasesed from the spider queen". Honestly, I have no idea what my brain think sometimes.

On a more serious note, it's hard to know if anyone is buying. A lot of things go up there and go back, and I imagine a lot of people are adding more motu and other epics to their quests for xp with the new ransack rules, and it's possibly a side effect of the extra runs putting more into the market.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    I'm a bad turtle. After reading the post, all I could think of was "Well, after the embrace of the spider queen probably comes the diseasesed from the spider queen". Honestly, I have no idea what my brain think sometimes.
    I had the thought "the bit where the spider queen eats you", been watching too much David Attenborough stuff recently i guess
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

was I the only one who thought it must be Q1, Queen of the Demonweb Pits?

Quote Originally Posted by Nhennan View Post

Black Dragon Scale. Easier and more reliably to farm ingredients for it than hoping on that droprate nerfed chest (subjective term) in The Demonweb.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

+6 Enhancement Bonus
    One of the following ability bonuses:

Constitution +8
    Insightful Constitution +3
    Strength +8
    Insightful Strength +3

Vitality +20
    Proof Against Poison +6
    Heavy Fortification
    Exceptional Fortification (10%)
    DR 5/-
    The insightful stats are still good from what I've seen but the regular stat versions are now garbage
    Vitality comes in higher versions at upper levels now so that's no longer good
    Proof against poison 6 was never good
    110% fort is now superceded by random gen items
    dr 5/- was never good when mobs hit for 100's of damage

It's not so much that any one thing has replaced it, as that there is no longer a good reason to use it.

Embraces, that medium spider armour, Whisperchain, Hides of Gorristro, EMarichain, Cormyr or old red lost their value with epic GH, black is just better for any toon that kills stuff.
    You can get maybe few hundreds plat from buyer that just doesn't know any better.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Default Whats after embrace of the psider queen?

OP: Whats after Embrace of the Spider Queen?
    Answer: Trip to the clinic!

Community Member

I bet there's a couple of Devs scratching their head as they wonder why no one has suggested the Hero's Plate. It wasn't like players gave input on the armor to improve it either.

Community Member

Charononus, yeah, you're right about those abilities being individually superseded by the new random loot gen, but having it all on one item is useful. I doubt I could gain all those benefits from other gear without sacrificing something else. Oh, and it has the Purple Dragon Knight upgrade for the Knight's Loyalty set bonus.

Although, I must admit to now having some redundancy on stat boosting gear. I think my armor is +8 Con, and I pick that up already through some other Purple Knight gear.

The DR 5/- is a nice backstop to my Bastion tower shield's DR 10/piercing; every little bit helps (AC 123-143, PRR 63-103 depending on active ED). I really do need to run Fall of Truth some time to try and grab the tower shield from there (AC +20, DR 15/-)

I might then have a closer look at the Black Dragon armor, but I don't remember it being noticably better in comparison.

Good point TrinityTurtle about people redoing other quests now to avoid xp ransack. That seems likely.

And as for the Heroes Plate? Why, developers, why, when I have a bard (and artificer) in my regular party or potions of heroism to fall back on (if needed)?

I might then have a closer look at the Black Dragon armor, but I don't remember it being noticably better in comparison.
    No, for tanks you use white scale armor .
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus