Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default That HORRID rat dungeon!!!! ARGH!

...worst dungeon I have ever EVER run in any game EVER.

Something wrong with the Dev that designed it, seriously.

Can you name it?

Aes.

Tomb of the Tormented. Not a terribly fun quest as the majority of the party ends up piking, but with someone who knows the mazes it can be done in about half an hour making for decent XP.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    The Band of Gypsys

Community Member

I think that was back in their "try to do something different" phase of quest design, when everything wasn't just a faceroll full of meatbags to slow you down. But yeah, trying to do extremely novel quest mechanics in DDO usually just ends up with frustration, because the engine is limited in what it actually can do.

Its a lot different when you're soloing it, I bet. Its much more of a "single player game" kinda mechanic. But yeah, not a whole lot that's fun about watching a rat slowly saunter about a maze while your hireling plays whack-a-mole with the zombies...especially the parts where you just have to sit and wait for the blade traps to cycle back around...

Community Member

Congrats Ry, you named it in one.

I can appreciate the novel thinking that went into this quest, but it's utterly infuriating to play. I went through it today (took 70 mins) with a group, and if it wasn't for 2 people who basically solved it for us, we'd have given up after half an hour.

Public thanks to Pisolo and Healerbill, who actually got a handle

I can safely say that this is one quest I will never put myself through again in any future life.

Aes.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Never Say Never

Never say never!!!

I told myself the same thing regarding this quest only to end up running again a week later. The 2nd time I fell asleep at the keyboard (for real). Too many chefs spoil the broth, so usually only one person does the maze part.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    Congrats Ry, you named it in one.

I can appreciate the novel thinking that went into this quest, but it's utterly infuriating to play. I went through it today (took 70 mins) with a group, and if it wasn't for 2 people who basically solved it for us, we'd have given up after half an hour.

Public thanks to Pisolo and Healerbill, who actually got a handle

I can safely say that this is one quest I will never put myself through again in any future life.

Aes.

2 things that help with this -

1. u can lead the enemy rats to switches

2. trapper helps!

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Hang in there grasshopper!

What a quest....but someday you will group with some multiple TR who wandered solo in that quest for
    seven or eight hours and figured out the timing of the third room.

Someone who realizes you can drag all the spawning zombies into a corner of the room before you so they don't bother you anymore.

Someone who gets a trapper hire to do the traps and seeks out a pale master to kill the monsters inside the maze.

Then suddenly, one day...it's spring*

This is why TRing is an interesting addition to DDO.

*Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

It's definitely one of the more unique quests in the game. And one of my least favorite, up there with Inferno of the Damned and Coalescence Chamber. Those are the ones I'll only ever run once, if I have to. Heck, a couple of my characters still aren't flagged for shroud or abbot despite being 25th, cause I hate those dungeons.

Community Member

I've never stepped foot in that dungeon just based on what I've read. At some point I'll want the favor and will put up an lfm offering 100k or so to let me pike on elite hehe.

Can you name it?

Aes.
    Enemy rats can trigger the trap plates.
    You can move enemy rats with food.
    it's pretty easy once you realise that.

Community Member

Having run the thing today and spent so much time alt-tabbing between game and wiki, I can completely appreciate that this dungeon doesn't have to be this bad. But it strikes me that you could run this one MUCH more quickly solo than with a group. Is that not kinda against the DDO ethos?

Aes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrix View Post
    Enemy rats can trigger the trap plates.
    You can move enemy rats with food.
    it's pretty easy once you realise that.
    Thats not the issue, its all about this quest being boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Thats not the issue, its all about this quest being boring.
    Not boring if done properly. Its less than half an hour on elite, and if the others enter near the end its fun for everyone.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

Can you name it?

Aes.
    My first and second time in the quest left me with about the same feeling as you have now. Terrible, boooring, long. So long. So, the second run, on another life, I actually started learning it from those, that were weorking on the maze.

Today, Tomb of the Tormented is one of my favorite quests while leveling. Its different, its fun, its great exp and since there are ALWAYS players to fill the party if I promise to do maze, I dont have to care about zombies running around. I am doing two teaching/learning runs per life, generally greatly enjoying it. Also, since this is really 1, maximum 3 person quest (1 on rat, 1 on zombies, 1 on maze inhabitants, which can all be done by one person if needed), there are at least 3 ppl standing around and talking in chat or via mic. So, I enjoy their talking, I enjoy the quest mechanic and I enjoy teaching others how to do it. Average time to complete is 25 minutes, can be done in 15.

I admit taht you have to develop a taste for it, but once you do, its great. If you just /pike inside, its boooring as hell.

Tormented design is unique in that it works if one person does the leading of the rat. However, when you understand mechanics like leading the enemy rats with food to trigger plates, it can actually be done with more than one person. 1 for your rat and 1 moving the enemy rats.

The third puzzle is easier to do if a trapper is involved as there is less risk to losing the rat to a trap, but using the enemy rats can also alleviate this pain.

However, after doing all the initial breaking and fighting in each room the other party members are basically twiddling their thumbs, especially once you have enough meat to finish the quest and someone leads all those undead back to another room to just get out of the way.

I've been in groups that have finished this quest in 15 minutes, so it can be done.

Quests like Inferno of the Damned and Coal chamber have more to do with understanding the pathing. Inferno of the Damned can actually be a very linear quest when someone knows the path. Coal chamber's biggest drawbacks are: 1) Physics of walking the ledges and 2) its whole "Go up to Go down to Go up Again" pathing and 3) How high and low you have to go for each part.

In both cases I think they need to implement the Mapping tech they utilized in "Old Stone Mansion" to help party members see "Floors"
    Last edited by Enoach; 09-11-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Tormented is a great quest Incredibly easy when you learn a couple of tricks to it.

It's one of those great quests where you have a eureka moment when you suss it out and after that it's just gravy.

Can you name it?

Aes.
    *interact with NPC bla*
    Beware, stranger. They call it Tomb of The Tormented....no, wait, don't ignore me. It is said that screams of fury and anger are haunting that place....beware of the maze....

*interact with NPC blub*
    I once was an adventurer, but then I entered that tomb and freely got an arrow to my knee.... What? No mean trap. I did it myself....
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Not boring if done properly. Its less than half an hour on elite, and if the others enter near the end its fun for everyone.
    I did it properly, still is boring.

15-20 minutes for all that xp on elite? Yes please.

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Tomb of the Tormented is one of my favorite quests - easily top 5.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast