Question With the new enhancement changes, is Dwarf still a good choice for a monk ?

With the new enhancement changes, is Dwarf still a good choice for a monk ?

I play dark monks and i am about to TR my monk into his 3rd life. He was a dwarf, now he is a Horc.
    He was more fun as a dwarf but that was before the changes.

Any comments on this ?
    Is there a better race ? (non human, I already have a human dark monk)
    Real join date: Update 7

Nothing is more fun than a halfling monk. Having said that I don't see any reason not to play a dwarf
    "Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand"-Kurt Vonnegut

Im just wondering if there is a race that is better at being a monk or not.

I get to make a 36 point build. Im thinking 16 CON +2 tome. Max STR, not a great amount of DEX, and the rest into WIS.

Quote Originally Posted by humbleroller View Post
    Im just wondering if there is a race that is better at being a monk or not.

I get to make a 36 point build. Im thinking 16 CON +2 tome. Max STR, not a great amount of DEX, and the rest into WIS.
    it depends who you talk to, but really all races have their pros and cons. it matters more what your intended play style is and what you would enjoy playing.

ive never played a monk in epics, but ive done it 3x human, 3x dwarf and now im more than half way through my helfs first monk life. an argument could be made for any race, but I didn't hve any issues playing a dwarf monk. I actually enjoyed it more than playing a human monk because people commented all the time about being different. you don't see a lot of dwarf monks around. cant wait for the comments when I do monk lives on my warforge.

Community Member

I prefer Human for the Healing Amp, but Dwarves get Tactics bonuses which are good for Monks.

Geoff.

im not too worried about healing amp. i can get a few items to for that.
    I dont intend on doing many EE run, just HH thru to EH.

I would be going dark monk anyway.
    I did think about going HalfElf with a cleric dilly, but they just look so mutated. I dont think i could ever get one that didnt look so horrible that I could still play him.

I will make a few faces and see, but I wont hold my breath.

Community Member

dwarf are so good for monks and so bad to look at that i'm waiting for a new race or an update to the enhancment to make my final pure monk build.
    For 14 ap (iirc) (and that's about all you can spend on racial tree) you get 30hp +2 con (so another 28-30 hp) +3 to dc and +3 saves against magic (with stack with the +2 racial for a total of +5).
    to recap you get all your monk wants: saves, dc and hp (in that order). since shinao is the way to go you have enough heal amp.
    Not to mention that you get +2 con (useful) and -2 cha (worst ability (shining star and kukan-do won't land on EE anyway and you have reliabe stun and istakill so i desn't matter).
    Obviously this is my opinion and i'll happy if someone prove me i'm wrong (so i won't have to swint those too short arms and legs).

edit: sorry i just saw you won't run EE, so a dwarf may be OP .
    Last edited by quiete; 11-25-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Dwarf monk pros: higher CON & HPs, up to +5 saves vs spells, up to +3 tactics DCs (which AFAIK apply to all monk DCs). If you take the Warding DM, Radiant Forcefield can be handy, esp. if making an Earth-stance hate-tank.

Dwarf monk cons: the good dwarf enhs (tactics + saves) are "locked" at higher tiers, so you wind up having to spend APs just to unlock them. Not that extra CON & HPs is ever a bad thing, ofc, but they're not necessarily what you want to spend APs on, either. [When in doubt, I take Iron Stomach for the RPing flavor and pretend I'm drunken-boxing. ] Also, I'm pretty sure Spell Resistance from Lesser Warding doesn't stack w/monk SR; so if you take the DM, it would be just for Forcefield.

Otherwise, the primary dwarf monk con is the same as all not-human monk con: i.e., no racial heal amp, bonus feat, +1 WIS enh, dmg boost, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    I prefer Human for the Healing Amp, but Dwarves get Tactics bonuses which are good for Monks.

Geoff.
    This, and hp enhancements. I went wisdom build on my dwarf monk.

Community Member

In my opinion, Dwarf and Horc are sort of tied. If you're going to be using stunning fist AND QP, then go dwarf. But really, stunning fist isn't needed anymore. If you're just going to use QP, go horc.