Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I don't know where this list came from but I can tell you right now fighters bring more scaling than rangers.

So do paladins, and that's just dumb as they're the worst class in the game.
    I love paladins when that life is over, best past life in the game for a melee imo.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    This is just sad Turbine, treat each class as a flat number if you have to include scaling at all. Don't give some classes their own handicaps.

edit

I mean handicap just like in say bowling etc.
    That would be way to simple and unlikely to have bugs for the DDO gnomes to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Does this LFM still circulate? If so, what server?

I gotta have some fun with this ^^
    Ghallanda, but I don't think this player is too active anymore.

Just go with 'Heavy DPS - must have Blazing speed," set the LFM for barb, fighter, and paladin, max level 26.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    In Teh_Troll we trust. (At least as far as paladin hate is concerned.)

Also, I had an argument with someone a couple of days back... I'm missing something. In what alternate reality is a paladin a "Heavy hitter"?!
    Maybe that means theg get heavy hits, not deal them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Community Member

Sorcerers are the Harrison Bergeron of DDO!

Don't hate us because we are awesome!

As usual in regards to Threads about Scaling, this one is full of unnecessary confusion. Scaling is the mechanic of making a quest Easier based on party size and composition. Smaller Party = More Scaling = Easier.

If everyone would just use the term right, we'd all live longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    As usual in regards to Threads about Scaling, this one is full of unnecessary confusion. Scaling is the mechanic of making a quest Easier based on party size and composition. Smaller Party = More Scaling = Easier.

If everyone would just use the term right, we'd all live longer.
    The following is a quote from MrCow. Not a Turbine dev or rep etc. Not even sure if they're still playing but that guy/gal was like a walking encyclopaedia. To the best of my knowledge MrCow never actually got anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    Only Solo difficulty (such as from the solo-only quests like An Explosive Situation) and Raid areas (including the Subterrane) do not scale. Elite was considered to have no scaling but that decision was changed before it hit the live servers.

Keep in mind that I only have rough sets of data to work with, but I'll give my best approximations.

The following effect scaling:
    • Character level compared to quest - Being 3 levels under on normal may set the elemental damage to ~20% scaling while being 5 levels over on normal may set the elemental damage to ~40% scaling.
    • Class composition - In the higher levels being a full fledged Barbarian of equal level to a quest may put you around ~25% scaling while a full fledged Sorcerer of equal level would be closer to ~32%. A 1/2 Barbarian 1/2 Sorcerer multiclass would be ~28.5% scaling.
    • Player, Hireling, or Gold-seal Hireling - Players count for full. Hirelings count as 1/4th a player. Gold-seal hirelings count as nothing (or a very small amount).
    • Difficulty Setting - A full fledged cleric that is 5 or more levels over the quest would have scaling be - 20% on casual (half of normal), 41% on normal, 54% on hard, 71% on elite.
    • Amount of players - On normal, add up between the players in the group. For instance, an equal level Barbarian (~25%), Sorcerer (~33%), and hireling Cleric (~7.75%) should net around ~65.75% scaling. Scaling should stop at 100%, but for some reason due to rounding up in various places can exceed that.

Class scaling, from the ones who have the least scaling to those with the most scaling (at level 20):
    • Barbarian
    • Rogue
    • Fighter
    • Ranger
    • Bard
    • Paladin
    • Monk
    • Cleric
    • Favored Soul
    • Wizard
    • Sorcerer
    Link to the post is here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ngeon-scaling?

Bard and pally amuse me silly.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

This is very eye opening. I never realized class effected scaling. So, if we removed scaling, that would further add to the OPness of casters? Ouch.

What about scaling based on the number of people in your party?

I remember a dev posted that it scales up to 4 people... and if you have 4 people in your group, you might as well fill the group because there is no scaling from 4-6 players. Anyone else remember this?

Wish we could just have a clear answer how scaling works. Is there a reason to keep it a mystery?
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    This is very eye opening. I never realized class effected scaling. So, if we removed scaling, that would further add to the OPness of casters? Ouch.
    i think you're reading in backwards, I'm 99% certain casters add a lot to the scaling.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    i think you're reading in backwards, I'm 99% certain casters add a lot to the scaling.
    Maybe. Adding a sorc to a group adds more or less HP to mobs than adding a barb to the group?

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Maybe. Adding a sorc to a group adds more or less HP to mobs than adding a barb to the group?
    I believe more, we've noticed the named hill giant in EE Trackers trap had 10s of thousands more HP when we had a group of 4 casters opposed to the more "typical" groups.

it's easy enough to test if you have a decent stable of toons, just walk into a quest where you can see the mobs HP on one class, come back with another and check the HP differences. EE Black Loch is a good one as almost everyone has Hobgoblin unlocked in Monster manual and there's the one patrolling right in the beginning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12