Community Member

Default Precision and Precise Shot - Are they worth it?

I've used them for a while but I'm starting to think I'm better off with something else. Archer's Focus really doesn't seem to amount to much extra damage.

Precision's reduction of enemy fortification probably helps with criticals but then it's hard to tell if it's really helping.

Thinking about picking other feats that would have a more tangible effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelair View Post
    I've used them for a while but I'm starting to think I'm better off with something else. Archer's Focus really doesn't seem to amount to much extra damage.

Precision's reduction of enemy fortification probably helps with criticals but then it's hard to tell if it's really helping.

Thinking about picking other feats that would have a more tangible effect.
    Precise shot is only good for one thing...you need it to get Improved Precise Shot. I also have Precision, and haven't really noticed much, if any, notable change.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

As shorlong said precise shot is needed for improved precise shot, which is awesome.

IMO precision is great filler. It is a nice boost that I would replace in a heartbeat by something more useful if it came along.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

I took Precision on my rogue, but cannot recall ever seeing sneak attack damage on undead. I'd assume they only have 100% base fort in the low-level quests I'm running right now so I'm not sure what's going on. Perhaps I'm just getting unlucky when I check the combat log.

And I'm one that actually likes Precise shot and find Archer's focus a nice little buff.

My reasons for like Precise shot (Artificer that uses the Repeater+Rune Arm)
    • I can target a specific enemy (Such as the caster in the back) and avoid drawing agro of other engaged enemies or even having my shot blocked by that jumping spider.
    • For boss fights where standing still is practical +30% (15 stacks) creates consistent damage (Of course it is not practical to stand still during trash fights or even be able to stand still long enough to get the full stacks)
    • And of course it is the gateway to Improved Precise shot

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I took Precision on my rogue, but cannot recall ever seeing sneak attack damage on undead. I'd assume they only have 100% base fort in the low-level quests I'm running right now so I'm not sure what's going on. Perhaps I'm just getting unlucky when I check the combat log.
    I have definitely gotten crit hits on undead. Sneak damage I'm not sure on as there's a lot of numbers up there most of the time.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    IMO precision is great filler. It is a nice boost that I would replace in a heartbeat by something more useful if it came along.
    Huh ? Precision is absolutely necessary and core feat for any ranged toon and fort bypass might be your biggest damage/killing power increase.
    So many things have some / full fort now, fort bypass makes the difference between 300 and 5 - 15k arrow.
    Hard to quantify these days with Slayer but fort bypass was the difference between 10k and 80k unbridled/manyshot.

Go solo EE Trial by fire if you have monster manual, there's a boss with 91k.
    Unbridled+manyshot him without any fort bypass.
    Twist Grim precision, get Black armour/robe and Precision feat, try unbridled now.
    Or Manyshotting or adrenalined Slayer Truthful One, any constructs, undead, many red names minibosses.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

I've been wondering about Precision myself. I have it on my Art but that's mostly because I have feats to spare.

However, I have another character that I'm thinking about TRing into a pure Ranger and be a melee/ranged hybrid and I'll definitely be taking Power Attack. I know PA and Precision can't be on at the same time. Would it be a pain to turn them on and off when switching between ranged and melee?

If Im using precision, opportunist, and improved destruction, and then I use an "assassins trick" from the assassin tree, I can hit the marut in epic von 1 with a alot of attacks afterward and almost all of them have SA damage included. Same for the Truthful One in FoT.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Huh ? Precision is absolutely necessary and core feat for any ranged toon and fort bypass might be your biggest damage/killing power increase.
    So many things have some / full fort now, fort bypass makes the difference between 300 and 5 - 15k arrow.
    Hard to quantify these days with Slayer but fort bypass was the difference between 10k and 80k unbridled/manyshot.

Twist Grim precision, get Black armour/robe and Precision feat, try unbridled now.
    Or Manyshotting or adrenalined Slayer Truthful One, any constructs, undead, many red names minibosses.
    And yet despite that, if I needed to drop it for something like quicken, I wouldn't even hesitate. I am not saying it is bad. Quite the contrary, it is good. It is also not nearly as high priority as manyshot and improved precise shot are.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-10-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Some mobs (like undead and oozes I think) are just flat out immune to sneak attacks--you can crit them with fort bypass but not get sneak damage. Constructs (like the training dummy) are not immune to crits, they simply have high fort.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member

Test it on the training dummy. You will see a crit every now and again with Precision.

Community Member

Default Precision vs Archer's Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post

Got a question for you dude, since one can only have one combat stance at a time, which one of those two would you prefer, and why?