Default Quick, simple change to Cannith Crafting

There are threads about all sorts of changes and additions people would like to see with Cannith Crafting. However I am hoping what I am proposing will be relatively simple to implement and not considered a change in the balance of the game. Although I haven't tested it to verify that its just a text error, there is currently an imbalance between randomly generated loot and Cannith Crafting when it comes to abilities/stats. It seems that there used to be only 2 common clothing and/or jewelry slots where a stat could be found on randomly generated loot or crafted to using Cannith Crafting (3 if you include rings, which seem to be rare in loot gen and was an advantage to being able to craft). The exception being STR, which had 3. It seems that the total places where a stat can be slotted is now 4 on random loot (again 5 if you count rings), but still remains at 2 for Cannith Crafting. The simple proposal is to make Cannith Crafted stat shards equal to random loot gen in what items they can be crafted on to. I am hoping this is easily alterable in the code and is considered worth doing to bring a portion of Cannith Crafting in alignment with the randomly generated loot.
    DDO University : A player run organization with the goal of trying to enrich the playing experience and community of those who play Dungeons and Dragons Online through education and research.

Visit http://ddouniversity.wordpress.com/ for more information

Quote Originally Posted by DDO_University View Post
    There are threads about all sorts of changes and additions people would like to see with Cannith Crafting. However I am hoping what I am proposing will be relatively simple to implement and not considered a change in the balance of the game. Although I haven't tested it to verify that its just a text error, there is currently an imbalance between randomly generated loot and Cannith Crafting when it comes to abilities/stats. It seems that there used to be only 2 common clothing and/or jewelry slots where a stat could be found on randomly generated loot or crafted to using Cannith Crafting (3 if you include rings, which seem to be rare in loot gen and was an advantage to being able to craft). The exception being STR, which had 3. It seems that the total places where a stat can be slotted is now 4 on random loot (again 5 if you count rings), but still remains at 2 for Cannith Crafting. The simple proposal is to make Cannith Crafted stat shards equal to random loot gen in what items they can be crafted on to. I am hoping this is easily alterable in the code and is considered worth doing to bring a portion of Cannith Crafting in alignment with the randomly generated loot.
    the ability to add stats to "Non standard" items was added a long time ago. they are higher level recipe's, but you can pretty much put any stat in any slot with cannith crafting.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

I'd vote "not signed" on general principle, because if they decide to touch cannith crafting, they'll probably feel the compulsion to improve it, and end up accidentally nerfing it...
    But I already crafted a bunch of ghost touch (prefix) and incorporeal bane (suffix) shards in preparation for the inevitable, so I say, bring it oooon!

Default What is non-standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    the ability to add stats to "Non standard" items was added a long time ago. they are higher level recipe's, but you can pretty much put any stat in any slot with cannith crafting.
    I agree that flexible shards are for "Non standard" slots. My point is that there appears to be a change in randomly generated loot where there is now a high instance of stats showing up in 2 additional equipment slots. For me this sets the standard for where stats are normally found, and my opinion is that these slots should be available to even lower level crafters.
    DDO University : A player run organization with the goal of trying to enrich the playing experience and community of those who play Dungeons and Dragons Online through education and research.

Quote Originally Posted by DDO_University View Post
    I agree that flexible shards are for "Non standard" slots. My point is that there appears to be a change in randomly generated loot where there is now a high instance of stats showing up in 2 additional equipment slots. For me this sets the standard for where stats are normally found, and my opinion is that these slots should be available to even lower level crafters.
    I have not noticed these alternate slot items dropping in low level content at all. It seems to me that they are dropping only in Higher end gear...

so I think the higher level requirements make sense for the cannith versions...

the end result items are still the same minimum levels though... and if you dont have a high level crafter, finding one isnt that hard.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    I have not noticed these alternate slot items dropping in low level content at all. It seems to me that they are dropping only in Higher end gear...

so I think the higher level requirements make sense for the cannith versions...

the end result items are still the same minimum levels though... and if you dont have a high level crafter, finding one isnt that hard.
    I have seen no shortage of dexterity belts and constitution gloves even at low levels. The "normal" place for certain stats to be appears to be just about anywhere now.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    I have seen no shortage of dexterity belts and constitution gloves even at low levels.
    So....buy them, then? Why would you spend 10k worth of Greater Essences to craft a piece of stat gear when you can buy a lootgen on the AH for 5k?

I think the bigger problem is all the new, extremely useful mods that cant be crafted AT ALL. Extending the flexibility of non-flexible shards isn't going to make people actually craft. They wont actually craft a Gloves of Con. They're just going to try and find a Gloves of Speed with Con on it, and that only comes from lootgen right now.

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    I have seen no shortage of dexterity belts and constitution gloves even at low levels. The "normal" place for certain stats to be appears to be just about anywhere now.
    By my observations, their are 2 new places for each stat, except for STR which has one. They are :

STR : boots
    DEX : belt,bracers
    CON : boots,bracers
    INT : cloak,necklace
    WIS : cloak,googles
    CHA : googles,necklace

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    So....buy them, then? Why would you spend 10k worth of Greater Essences to craft a piece of stat gear when you can buy a lootgen on the AH for 5k?
    This is another good point. While droid327 has other changes in mind as well, I think this simple stat thing does cause a disparity between random loot gen and crafting. I'm sure there are shards most people would never consider crafting, except to help raise their crafting levels. But stats are a core part of the game. From the perspective of people starting to craft, who have a shared bank account, being able to craft a bound +2 stat shard is a nice goal to help out new toons you roll up. So its not just the cost in essences of making flexible shards, but the crafting levels required. If something is very powerful and/or exceptional, I personally have no problem with it being bound only, very high level, or not available through crafting (and yes, everyone will have different criteria for what those are). My opinion is that there are new, additional standard slots as defined by random loot gen and crafting does not yet recognize this.