Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Cordovan

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    I do agree that some people with a form of autism could take the ingame descriptions at face value and think that they are not cheating. That's only a small minority of players though. Are you perhaps one of them?
    Because it's reasonable to assume the devs must have lied in their in-game descriptions, and that anyone who doesn't start by assuming that is mentally handicapped?

Come on, this is painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain that using ED twists is exploiting. Why try to rationalize it?

It's fun, you don't need any more justification than that.

You insult the intelligence of everyone by trying to rules-lawyer your way out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Because it's reasonable to assume the devs must have lied in their in-game descriptions
    Hmm, I looked up the description and it says:

Twists of fate allow you to use select abilities you have earned from any of your destinies regardless of which destiny you have active.
    This implies you have an epic destiny active, which is only possible when you are level 20 or higher.
    Last edited by Forzah; 09-12-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post

I found a lack of reasonable discussion much more on the other side of the previous debate. It would have been a reasonable reaction to say, "Is this WAI? Because even though the description implies that it is, it seems OP." THAT would have been reasonable. But instead we got, "You're CLEARLY all EXPLOITING CHEATERS, this can't POSSIBLY be WAI!", in the face of the plain in-game description of Twists of Fate. Not reasonable, and not polite.
    The description never implied it was WAI. This is merely a lawyering of the description that if it didnt literally dictate use limitation then there is no use limitation, which is not an implication of WAI. You can use a multitude of other examples to show how absurd this kind of lawyering literalisms is, both in game and in real life.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    Just like with Beguile, some people aren't happy having quests go smoothly. They either are jealous of people who can use said abilities when they cannot or are simply masochists.
    Or maybe they, you know, actually want to play the quests properly so there's a bit of challenge. As opposed to just endlessly and boringly grinding content to get nowhere.

Also, the way I see it, we EARNED this power by earning our fate points. Is that not how it is supposed to work?
    Let's see. The levels below 20 are called "heroic". The levels 20 and above are called "epic". Everything associated with "epic" refers to levels 20 and above. So naturally, why wouldn't we think that Epic Destiny abilities would work at level 1?

Not to mention that you have to take a specific step in order to make use of this exploit, which wouldn't be necessary if you were supposed to be able to use them.

Except that, until Gianthold, none of the heroic quests are really challenging at all if you use ship buffs. Twists just made them more entertaining.
    Last edited by djl; 09-12-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Except that, until Gianthold, none of the heroic quests are really challenging at all regardless. Twists just made them more entertaining.
    SO, youre entertained by not having any challenge at all?
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The description never implied it was WAI. This is merely a lawyering of the description that if it didnt literally dictate use limitation then there is no use limitation, which is not an implication of WAI. You can use a multitude of other examples to show how absurd this kind of lawyering literalisms is, both in game and in real life.
    Well, wasn't there this case of a woman who tried to dry her dog in the microwave? She sued the microwave company because the manual didn't say you couldn't use the microwave to dry up pets . I guess that was SirValentines mom
    Last edited by Forzah; 09-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Beat me to it.

And it's not like the exploiters suddenly stop when the quests do become more challenging.

Some pretty weak arguments being presented here.

I'm entertained by having many options to utilize at low levels. Being able to have 30% striding, or stacking 40% fortification, or regenerate more SP when you are out at low levels makes it more fun. Yes, there are indeed the incredibly broken abilities like Primal Scream or Energy Burst, but there's also things that just make your quality of life better as a lowbie, like the 30% striding twist. Not everybody has the luxury of a Quiver of Alacrity. In fact, I'd say most people probably don't.

Don't tell me that you don't find it fun to sometimes shoot ducks in a barrel.

Wail of the Banshee cookies in Kobold assault is hysterical.

Challenged all the time is tiring, especially on repetitive stuff you've done a zillion time.

and come on . . . 99% Heroic elites ALREADY AREN"T CHALLENGING to begin with, stacking the deck doesn't change and outcome that was already 100% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Come on, this is painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain that using ED twists is exploiting. Why try to rationalize it?

It's fun, you don't need any more justification than that.

You insult the intelligence of everyone by trying to rules-lawyer your way out of this.
    Exactly... Be man enough to admit you knew it was an exploit, but you did it anyway.
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Don't tell me that you don't find it fun to sometimes shoot ducks in a barrel.

Wail of the Banshee cookies in Kobold assault is hysterical.

Challenged all the time is tiring, especially on repetitive stuff you've done a zillion time.

and come on . . . 99% Heroic elites ALREADY AREN"T CHALLENGING to begin with, stacking the deck doesn't change and outcome that was already 100% certain.
    i wouldnt shoot ducks in a barrel, unless the draw first. Even then id probably stab them, since i find guns the tools of chickens (or ducks maybe?) Even then, i would be saddened by the necessity.

I'm entertained by having many options to utilize at low levels. Being able to have 30% striding, or stacking 40% fortification, or regenerate more SP when you are out at low levels makes it more fun. Yes, there are indeed the incredibly broken abilities like Primal Scream or Energy Burst, but there's also things that just make your quality of life better as a lowbie, like the 30% striding twist. Not everybody has the luxury of a Quiver of Alacrity. In fact, I'd say most people probably don't.
    Ah, youre entertained by godmode. Ask the devs to sell you the cheatcodes then.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Exactly... Be man enough to admit you knew it was an exploit, but you did it anyway.
    I assumed it was an exploit but over the past few months before cordovans post I had started to doubt it because it was in game since motu and was on the wiki for a while. Time + ease of getting the info (ie wiki) had made me start to doubt that it was an exploit considering most exploits are rapidly fixed.

Is this thread discussing an exploit, or something just not WAI? Guess to be safe, I'm outta here!
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by phalaeo View Post
    I'm just asking... where do we draw the line?
    I'm thinking 30d20 of damage at level 1 is over the line. Not subjective. It's supposed to be a big deal when your caster gets fireball at level 5, and you can do 5d6 damage. The mobs are scaled for that.

30d20 at level 5 (or level 1!) is obviously over the line. THIRTY d20s!!

It's subjective
    No, it's not.
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneyks View Post
    I doubt it. These forums seem plagued by people just looking for something to whine about.

Someone somewhere will be doing something that somehow stops someone else from enjoying the game due to someones belief that something is somehow an exploit, someone else will then be offended
    that someone thinks that something that has not been declared a bug by the devs is wrong and he is being unjustly called a cheater, then someone else will be amazed that everyone does not share the same view as them on what is actually cheating which will offend them............................. and on and on and on its "Heaven and Hell" It is actually kinda enjoying to be honest.......
    To be honest, it's not cheating that those players are doing. As stated by other players, simply dragging the twist to your hotbar and activating it from there doesn't work.
    It's activated by some other mechanism where the twist is piggy bagging along with it. The player activating that mechanism does not have the intention to let a twist go off at all. I'm not even sure the twist is needed.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

but there's also things that just make your quality of life better as a lowbie, like the 30% striding twist. Not everybody has the luxury of a Quiver of Alacrity. In fact, I'd say most people probably don't.
    FYI.. Exp Retreat clickables last 5 minutes each and give you 25% striding.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Troll enough, but yeah.

Some people just feel the need of rationalizing everything so they don't look like they are breaking a moral code. I just sold my morals on the Shard Exchange and have never looked back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast