2014 DDO Players Council

Default Happy 4th birthday, F2P!

I don't remember the exact date, but it was early September, 2009, right?

That's when I started playing, when DDO went F2P. In the 4 years since, I've put plenty of money into the game, but I would never have started playing if I was required to have a subscription. Here's to F2P!

2014 DDO Players Council

Just checked, it was September 9, 2009. So 4 years exactly today!

Devs, no DDO Unlimited Birthday Cake?

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Wow. It's been 4 years? I've had so much fun from this game it seems like longer
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

I started playing around the same time, for the exact same reason. Being a low-budget gamer, I very rarely used the store since then (bought MotU at -75%). However, if not for the f2p shift, I'd never even get here in the 1st place, and would have ended up spending my modest budget money somewhere else, so yay Eberron Unlimited! xD

Overall, seen some things I liked, some turns/decisions I really didn't appreciate, but overall, I still like the game and its community a lot

(PS: I don't think they'll be celebrating or even taking notice of this "anniversary")

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by A3oN95 View Post
    (PS: I don't think they'll be celebrating or even taking notice of this "anniversary")
    They should, though. That marked the transition from Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach to Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited.

Community Member

Been playing for three years now, started cause it was free.
    Invested a s%%tload of money into it (have collector editions of both expansions) :-D.
    Would never start if I wouldnt be able to play for free thou. Same with a buddy of mine...

Cheers DDO and lets have this topic here in another 4 years :-)

Joined when it became f2p too...

Remember I was playing Baldur's Gate with a lot of mods and thought "How wonderful a Forgotten Realms mmorpg could be..."

Googled for D&D online and BAM.

Was ~one week before it went to f2p and here I am...4 years later and still enjoying every little bug. =p

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Just checked, it was September 9, 2009. So 4 years exactly today!

Devs, no DDO Unlimited Birthday Cake?
    I think the freebies for F2P stopped coming about 2 years ago. There was a big party the first year. The second year was like a bunch of freebies from the Lottery. Then the third year was nothing. Looks like it will be nothing for year 4 too.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Same for me - I started because of F2P (though I've been VIP for a while) ... I'd have never given it a chance if it didn't have the F2P option.

I still fondly remember dying frequently in Dead Predators, Redwillows. God that was fun. I ran Haverdasher so much because OMG IT HAS A QUICK CHEST AND I CAN GET A +1 WEAPON.

heehee
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane