Community Member

Default Tome drops are either bugged or nerved

I pulled a +3 to +4 dexterity upgrade tome in High Roads wilderness this weekend.

There was a +1 loot boost running, and I had a +2 gem running. That means the chest level was 27.

According to a very clear dev post a while back, chest levels 27 through 30 drop +4, or +4 to +5 upgrade tomes. I have proven this to be accurate 3 times in the past in High Roads.

Something is wrong. One of three things could have happened:

1) The loot boost did not get turned on.

2) The tome levels have been changed in some way.

3) The tome levels have been inadvertently broken.

Can we get a comment about what might have changed please?

EDIT: Nerved = nerfed

I have been suspicious that lvl 27 was no longer the cutoff for +4 tomes since U19, but I haven't run enough high level stuff to prove it. Moving them down to lvl 27 was done to improve the ability to get them shortly after MotU came out, but now that there are lvl 27 quests, I would not be surprised that they wanted people running on at least EH to qualify for a +4 tome.

I can't seem to get the link from the wiki to work (it was to the old forums), but here's the quoted text and it matches what I recall:
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun
    On Live, +4 tomes follow a previously established formula, and appear in level 31 treasure. When we were releasing Menace of the Underdark, I thought that we should make them more accessible than that, so I also implemented them as bonus treasure in Epic Elite quests.

With Update 16, I've revisited this, and received permission from my boss, Eladrin, to change the formula which determines what levels the tomes appear at in random treasure.

In Update 16, which is currently on Lamannia, +3 tomes appear in level 23-26 treasure, and +4 tomes appear in level 27+ treasure.
    So, I am wondering if with U19, they undid the changes that came with U16 and +4 tomes are back to requiring lvl 31 chests, or being on a special list, like underdark and high road EEs (at a MISERABLE drop rate, as I recall).

This would also mean +5 tomes are only available still as special list loot (like EE CitW, at an absurdly low rate) or as +4 to +5 upgrade tomes (much more reasonable to acquire).

It's also possible it's a bug and was unintentional. I feel like skill update tomes are dropping far too much compared to base skill tomes, for example, and reports of ability tomes are making me wonder if those are off as well - no longer seems like only 25% of tomes are upgrade tomes. Perhaps adding skill tomes to the treasure lists inadvertently changed tome drop rates and levels.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
    I have been suspicious that lvl 27 was no longer the cutoff for +4 tomes since U19, but I haven't run enough high level stuff to prove it.
    Hmmm. Maybe. Alternatively, they may have nerfed chest level for High Road wilderness area in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
    I feel like skill update tomes are dropping far too much compared to base skill tomes, for example, and reports of ability tomes are making me wonder if those are off as well - no longer seems like only 25% of tomes are upgrade tomes. Perhaps adding skill tomes to the treasure lists inadvertently changed tome drop rates and levels.
    Agreed. Seen lots of upgrade tomes, very few base tomes. I wouldn't mind as much if they hadn't also turned off the Saga system which I wanted to use to get my base tomes.

there's other bugs with High Road wilderness at the area after making the heroic version of the quests too. Notice that Epic wilderness gives Heroic encounters, for example...

Community Member

Friend of mine pulled a +2 strength tome in EH spinners so it does seem a little off on tome drops.

A guildie looted two +3 to +4 (aka +3 tomes) on wheloon prison epic hard, and thats level 27. I looted a +3 to +4 tome on Storm Horn epic normal reward, level 27 again.

So yes, they are nerfed, probably because Storm Horns on Epic normal would drop always +4 tomes, if you get a tome on the chest of course. And if that was true, no more tomes sold on store anymore...

And no, i don't think any dev will comment about this... "problem".
    Last edited by Henky; 09-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    Thelanis - Officer of Reinos Olvidados: Henkyh, Neghi, Konokka, Kufei, Bartolomew, Rovinh, Artinata

Community Member

Shameless bump in hopes of an answer.

Default Pretty sure tomes drops have been given the nerf bat

I think tomes drops have been given the nerf bat. CITW & FOT 20th completions are only offering +3's & +3 to 4's, whereas prior to U19 they had +4's & +4 to 5's in end reward.

As someone who mentioned in my thread ( https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-CITW-amp-FOT ) , seems rather coincidental that only +3 to 4's drop since they started selling +5's in the DDO store
    Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I ran Where there is Smoke ELITE on a level 4, first life 28 hit point rogue, never TRd, no guild buffs, using a hireling cleric. One shotted two times at the first dog area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!
    Main toons on G-land: IronMunter, Iamhal, Mehhh, Dahh

Founder

I've seen +4 tomes on the auction house. At what loot levels have people gotten them?

Community Member

You did not get your upgrade tome?
    upgrade tell to upgrade tone to upgrade tome upgrading upgrade.
    WHats wrong with that?