Default A slight tip on your space design in quests.

I noticed this as I ran through the portal opens in the underdark. this place is so big that the drow use portals to navigate around the ziggy. and from the outside it is impressive looking up at the towering structure. however during the quest line (and this is more obvious during the portal opens because you actually teleport around) there are no windows letting us observe where we are in relation to the outside.

this could have been a HUGE bonus in the portal opens. if when we had gone through the portals there had been windows or balconies we passed that let us look out and see our transition through the city and that we were in fact moving great distances culminating with our showdown on the very peak of the ziggy.

it just feels like a missed opportunity in that quest as well as many others that can be the difference in a memorable location and quest, instead of just another bleak dungeon with an objective.

TL;DR
    windows please ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdragoon View Post
    I noticed this as I ran through the portal opens in the underdark. this place is so big that the drow use portals to navigate around the ziggy. and from the outside it is impressive looking up at the towering structure. however during the quest line (and this is more obvious during the portal opens because you actually teleport around) there are no windows letting us observe where we are in relation to the outside.

this could have been a HUGE bonus in the portal opens. if when we had gone through the portals there had been windows or balconies we passed that let us look out and see our transition through the city and that we were in fact moving great distances culminating with our showdown on the very peak of the ziggy.

it just feels like a missed opportunity in that quest as well as many others that can be the difference in a memorable location and quest, instead of just another bleak dungeon with an objective.

TL;DR
    windows please ^_^
    I'm guessing it has to be some sort of tech limitation. I've really been wanting windows in taverns since I started playing the game, but it just hasn't happened. Allowing us to see "outside" while questing adds a level of immersion that I'd love to see. You could have day/night, rain/thunderstorm/sunny. I know we have these variations now, but it just doesn't feel right when they seem to come and go at will and you don't see them while questing, except in the few outdoor quests like Redwillow or Stormcleave.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

There's two ways they could do it: have "windows" be static, pre-rendered 2D objects, basically just "paintings" on the wall that don't have any perspective....or actual portals showing a 3D rendered view, in which case I really hope you don't mind 5 minute load times even with an SSD :P

Any rendered exterior environment, even limited to just what you can see from the windows, is going to be an exponential increase of the amount of objects and area the game has to render for every quest.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    There's two ways they could do it: have "windows" be static, pre-rendered 2D objects, basically just "paintings" on the wall that don't have any perspective....or actual portals showing a 3D rendered view, in which case I really hope you don't mind 5 minute load times even with an SSD :P

Any rendered exterior environment, even limited to just what you can see from the windows, is going to be an exponential increase of the amount of objects and area the game has to render for every quest.
    Agreed. As nice as it would be, it's a lot of extra data for limited payoff. I think the closest thing might be what they did in Amrath. You can "see" the devil battlefield below you. Probably a 2d painting, but it does add an element of depth.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

A lot of the "inside" quests are separate areas from the outside areas, so adding windows that were not static 2d would necessitate to add the outside, or restructure the whole thing to be one area.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Actually, I don't know that anything but a static, 2D view could be accommodated. Taverns, quests, really any environment in the game is an instanced representation. As a "live" feed through some sort of portal or window, which instance would be shown? I don't even know if different instances can marshall data to each other due to physical address or hardware boundaries. It would be nice, but is it even possible or worth the effort?
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

I think it is somewhat do-able. the fight on top of the ziggy lets you look around, the tide turns fight on top of the tower lets you look around, areas in tempest spine are outside (the damn ledge people like to grease half way up) Amarath lets you look down on the battlefield (a painting yeah but could you imagine if it had just been a dungeon supposedly "in" the floating rock) the demonweb is all open and lets you look around.

I don't mind if its painted and cannot be interacted with (amarath) as long as its there. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdragoon View Post
    I think it is somewhat do-able. the fight on top of the ziggy lets you look around, the tide turns fight on top of the tower lets you look around, areas in tempest spine are outside (the damn ledge people like to grease half way up) Amarath lets you look down on the battlefield (a painting yeah but could you imagine if it had just been a dungeon supposedly "in" the floating rock) the demonweb is all open and lets you look around.

I don't mind if its painted and cannot be interacted with (amarath) as long as its there. :P
    Oh, its eminently doable, the question is if its worth the bother. Which is not likely to be the case.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

No, there is another.

The windows could be holes in the wall with a single 'box' around the play area (or even just a partial box) that is 2D textured. This would give the illusion of 3D rendered due to parallax. Especially if the windows were small enough the parallax would be noticeable but there would not be sufficient view port area to notice no difference in parrallex between near and far buildings. Alternately there could be a number of 'boxes within boxes' with 2d transparent textures that could supply parallax between near and far static objects.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.