Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cacyreus View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions and comments

Nightmares is nice for mobs-- doesnt mean dps though, its not going to work on red/purple names. adn its not build worthy as you can kill a lot of mobs and deal 0 damage to a boss with what would be the worst build ever.

My "dps" referred to sustained damage that works even on red/purple names. everything else is just a matter of weapon, not build per se. I am asking for the build that gives me more damage, not more kills. I do apreciate the hint and i will make my best to put my hads on my second nightamares.

I am pretty much convinced to go for a 12 fighter/6 ranger/ 2 monk

im thinking the only really valid race would be human, any other?
    Human is good, but I'd personally go with H-Orc. Horc gives you +3 str over human, + more str when injured and requires fewer AP (just 6) since I wouldn't bother with anything outside the first 4 cores. Human gives you some nice stuff but at a heavy AP cost. If you are concerned with tactics Horc is the stronger choice. If you are super concerned with heal amp and boosts go human. Dwarf isn't bad either since they get tactics, but again at a heavy AP investment which this build simply can't spare pts for. Your AP will be VERY tight.

And yeah, I don't have 1 nightmare much less 2, so I don't build for it (yet). Maybe I'll have better luck this life laying hands on 1. I got nearly every other weapon from CitW, but not that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    Human is good, but I'd personally go with H-Orc. Horc gives you +3 str over human, + more str when injured and requires fewer AP (just 6) since I wouldn't bother with anything outside the first 4 cores. Human gives you some nice stuff but at a heavy AP cost. If you are concerned with tactics Horc is the stronger choice. If you are super concerned with heal amp and boosts go human. Dwarf isn't bad either since they get tactics, but again at a heavy AP investment which this build simply can't spare pts for. Your AP will be VERY tight.

And yeah, I don't have 1 nightmare much less 2, so I don't build for it (yet). Maybe I'll have better luck this life laying hands on 1. I got nearly every other weapon from CitW, but not that one.
    Horc's got some nice stuff, but human . . . HV damage boost at the same time Fighter Haste Boost goes off is just wonderful.

Regarding STR . . . Power Surge is an action boost. The Human ability to boost a stat by up to 3 while an action boost is active is effected by Power Surge. On a human Power Surge can give +11 STR, not +8.

Regarding healing amp . . . despite my "hjeal meh' foolery on that other thread you're able to keep yourself alive pretty well. My fighter has cocoon, SF pots, and no-fail heal scrolls. SF pots do about 600 and scrolls 290. Trying to ween myself off of cocoon as another twist free would be nice, but now with Deepwood devotion, some heal skill, and a 120 Devotion trinket it is a very strong ability.

Kinda thinking human is the strongest race for this build right now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Horc's got some nice stuff, but human . . . HV damage boost at the same time Fighter Haste Boost goes off is just wonderful.

Regarding STR . . . Power Surge is an action boost. The Human ability to boost a stat by up to 3 while an action boost is active is effected by Power Surge. On a human Power Surge can give +11 STR, not +8.

Regarding healing amp . . . despite my "hjeal meh' foolery on that other thread you're able to keep yourself alive pretty well. My fighter has cocoon, SF pots, and no-fail heal scrolls. SF pots do about 600 and scrolls 290. Trying to ween myself off of cocoon as another twist free would be nice, but now with Deepwood devotion, some heal skill, and a 120 Devotion trinket it is a very strong ability.

Those are great points, but where do you free up 9 AP for the human stuff? If you skip heal amp and just took the stats, HV, and action surge I guess you can get away with 9 pts (vs 6), but skipping heal amp seems wrong on a human, and I'm assuming you skip the weapon style as there just isn't room for it and return on investment is poor, and GH which you can clicky.

Or I guess to put it another way... can you list the 80 AP you spend on this?

Those are great points, but where do you free up 9 AP for the human stuff? If you skip heal amp and just took the stats, HV, and action surge I guess you can get away with 9 pts (vs 6), but skipping heal amp seems wrong on a human, and I'm assuming you skip the weapon style as there just isn't room for it and return on investment is poor, and GH which you can clicky.

Or I guess to put it another way... can you list the 80 AP you spend on this?
    I've fit it all in .. . and there is no way in hell I can list it off of memory.

Hey I would appreciate some thoughts on a melee crossclass build:

main goals:

DPS, DPS, DPS, DPS
    TWF-- khopeshes
    good tactical maneuver dc's

self sustainability-- **** it I got hires and healers for that, if i wanted self sustainability i would play bard or fvs

in a nutshell- is there a version of Blitz build for the new enhancements?
    12 Fighter 5 Barb 3 Druid, use Cocoon and SF pots. Get Rams Might, Crit Rage, Power Surge, go ranger dile for 10% more offhand strikes, +3 str on action boosts, etc. I prefer Crit Rage to Keen Edge, as it gives another +1 to range. Also, Druid gives doublestrike 30% on an action boost which is a massive bonus to dps. And against trash, you would have Fatal Harrier for +25% (10% faster than haste/blinding speed) attack speed. Yes it only last 8 seconds but every kill resets the timer.

Also, Nightmare will out dps any Khopesh that I know of in game. It's just an absolute beast of a weapon, especially when coupled with First Blood for the 15% doublestrike on it.

One major problem is obviously the restriction on feats. Would you be able to fit manyshot in there? Maybe, but you'd be at the absolute bare minimum to achieve it. Big thing too with the First Blood/Action boost Doublestrike coupled with Ranger Dile Tempest is you would recharge Fury like a bat out of hell.

That and Frenzy can potentially give you 3 more action boosts. That's +6 boosts between Fighter and Barb, and then 3 more from Dread. Total I want to say is 14 achievable on a Half Elf, though if you like being a boost who.re you can go Horc for the +3 from there as well.

I will say this though, AP will be extremely tight trying to fit everything I mentioned into the build. I don't actually know if it's possible, my own version of this build has been shelved because unlike you I cannot stand not having any self sufficiency at all. Plus I don't have the plat to get him some good weapons.

Community Member

I've fit it all in .. . and there is no way in hell I can list it off of memory.
    Well "all" is not possible, as there are just too many good enhancements. Here's what I narrowed my list too for H-Orc (would have to get smaller for human) and doesn't include fists of iron or any of the SA stuff from DeS:
    Tempest(22):
    1 - Shield of whirling steel
    1 - tempest
    8 - whirling blades (1-4)
    3 - improved reaction
    6 - improved parry
    3 - improved dodge

Kensei(38):
    1 - kensei focus
    1 - spiritual bond
    1 - strike with no thought
    1 - power surge
    8 - weapon group specialization (1-4)
    3 - action boost haste
    2 - exotic weapon mastery
    6 - tactics III
    2 - weapon meditation (pre-req)
    4 - Str II
    1 - shattering strike I
    2 - crit accuracy
    2 - crit damage
    1 - keen edge
    1 - deadly strike
    1 - one with the blade
    1 - a good death

AA (7):
    1 - arcane archer
    2 - conjure arrows
    2 - elemental arrows
    2 - morphic arrows

DWS (6)
    1 - far shot
    3 - increased empathy
    2 - versatile empathy

Half Orc (6):
    2 - orcish fury II
    4 - str II

Shintao (1):
    1 - Bastion of Purity

I put nothing in AA.

Only spent 33 in Kensai.

It's all affordable

I put nothing in AA.

Only spent 33 in Kensai.

It's all affordable
    I'd like to see what you did at some point - I have a hard time not putting a few points into AA because I freaking hate arrow management. My Ranger 12 / fighter pal rest is going to TR into a Fighter 12 split once I get around to capping him again.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Hey I would appreciate some thoughts on a melee crossclass build:

main goals:

DPS, DPS, DPS, DPS
    TWF-- khopeshes
    good tactical maneuver dc's

self sustainability-- **** it I got hires and healers for that, if i wanted self sustainability i would play bard or fvs

in a nutshell- is there a version of Blitz build for the new enhancements?
    OK, so I thought it over, and here's what I came up with:

Human
    9 Monk/8 Fighter/3 Ranger

STR 16 +5 levels
    DEX 16 +1 level (feel free to drop this if you have tomes available)
    CON 14
    INT 8
    WIS 14
    CHA 8

1F Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword, Power Attack, Weapon Focus: Slashing
    2R
    3M Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency:Khopesh
    4R
    5M Mobility
    6F Cleave, Great Cleave
    7F
    8M Path:Harmonious Balance
    9F Improved Critical: Slashing, Weapon Specialization: Slashing
    10F
    11M
    12F Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    13F
    14M
    15F Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing, Stunning Blow
    16M Spring Attack (or Improved Sunder, if you want more buttons to push )
    17M
    18M Master of Forms
    19M
    20R
    21 Overwhelming Critical
    24 ?
    27 Blinding Speed

I know there is talk about trading DPS for survivability, but you can't DPS if you're dead, and Shadow Veil and Improved Evasion go a long way.

This is actually lower DPS than I could come up with, but you specified Khopesh (and I threw in B. swords because there are so many good ones, and you've got the feat to spare); you could go WSS so you don't need tier 5 Kensei, which would let you take tier 5 Ninja for Shadow Double, 100% Doublestrike for 6 seconds every 30 seconds, but it does restrict you to longswords, short swords, and kamas (or unarmed, but you lose a lot of the tempest bonuses).
    Last edited by elg582; 09-11-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    "You lie down with rats, and the rats run away."

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Currently running a Fighter 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2 centered "monster" build. It's good, might not be the highest DPS TWFer but it's the highest I've personally seen.
    Got something similar, currently level 19 using heavy blades kensei focus (dual fang of siberys) & am debating whether to stick with that plan or give in to the "moar survivability" part of my brain & take a 3rd monk level in place of the 12th fighter.. ok i'll lose the power surge but being able to keep up fists of light for a constant stream of incoming HP & being able to take at least 1 improvement to healing ki (remove curse) is very, very tempting.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Just wondering, how are you getting to 40 UMD on your fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I'd like to see what you did at some point - I have a hard time not putting a few points into AA because I freaking hate arrow management. My Ranger 12 / fighter pal rest is going to TR into a Fighter 12 split once I get around to capping him again.
    Enough human for 30% healing amp.

Enough BARELY enough kensai for centered weapons.

Just enough tempest for 10% off hand and 3 reflex save

Just enough deepwood for devotion 75

just enough Shintao for 10% more off hand and 15 PRR

Enough Ninja for 3 dodge.

That's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by RS-Makk View Post
    Just wondering, how are you getting to 40 UMD on your fighter?
    UMD
    11 Rank
    8 Epic levels
    8 CHR (14 start, 4 tome, 6 item)
    6 Skills (GS boots, needs to find a new home)
    4 GH
    3 Bunny Hat
    1 Spider mask (Clickie, stacks with hat)

41 combat-capable UMD. I also have 7-Finger gloves, Spyglass, and good luck available for lower levels if needed.

Got to 28 last night, biggest issue is trying to slot in everything I need for DPS while keeping 40 UMD and my devotion for Cocoon. Something has to give to do this as there just aren't enough slots.

I'm trying to ween myself off of cocoon to get a twist and my deepwood APs back but man . . . it is SO much better than scrolls it's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Got something similar, currently level 19 using heavy blades kensei focus (dual fang of siberys) & am debating whether to stick with that plan or give in to the "moar survivability" part of my brain & take a 3rd monk level in place of the 12th fighter.. ok i'll lose the power surge but being able to keep up fists of light for a constant stream of incoming HP & being able to take at least 1 improvement to healing ki (remove curse) is very, very tempting.
    What the heck does 3 monk give you regarding survivability?

Take 12 fighter and build for power surge.

Seriously, my main is a mostly AA ranger and after playing this thing for an evening I almost want to cry when on her as the DPS of the centered-monster is that good. Got three guilidies working on their clones right now, can't wait to bring 4 of these in a full-retard group.

Like i said, fists of light, thats 1-3 hp (or higher depending on exact configuration & gear setup) back every hit, plus healing ki for the curse removal which makes life a lot smoother in CITW - ok dps is a bit lower, but i like to have the extra buffer of healing & while the strength boost is certainly handy, it doesn't make or break the build for me as i'm not obsessive about maximising every point of dps possible.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Like i said, fists of light, thats 1-3 hp (or higher depending on exact configuration & gear setup) back every hit, plus healing ki for the curse removal which makes life a lot smoother in CITW - ok dps is a bit lower, but i like to have the extra buffer of healing & while the strength boost is certainly handy, it doesn't make or break the build for me as i'm not obsessive about maximising every point of dps possible.
    11 ftr / 3 mnk is a very sub-optimal blend. If you really want the extra monk goodness you are far better off going 8 ftr / 6 monk. You lose 2 ftr feats and power boost. You gain 2 monk feats (including master of forms, which you would have selected) and get light path, 2% dodge, 3 ac, fast movement 10%, and possibly access to shadow veil (at the cost of some considerable AP investment). So the feats are a wash, you are trading power boost for survivability which isn't the worst trade. But 11/3? you lose 1 net feat from either build (12/2 or 8/6), you lose power boost, and you don't gain dodge or AC, and only get 5% speed and light path.

Take 12 fighter and build for power surge.

Seriously, my main is a mostly AA ranger and after playing this thing for an evening I almost want to cry when on her as the DPS of the centered-monster is that good. Got three guilidies working on their clones right now, can't wait to bring 4 of these in a full-retard group.
    I'm just about finished with my Power Surging, Cleaving, Centered, Earth Stanced Cloudburster.

I can only imagine the TWF version w/ Manyshot is just that much more badassery. I have some practicalities I built into this pass-through life (like rogue, 'cause I like it when I TR), but man - I'm sorely tempted to not TR for a while.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

I'm 'this close' to TR'ing into this.. just trying to work out the detailed plans on abilities and enhancements (so many good ones!..). A key think I'm struggling with is whether to go for khopesh (I have a set of drow khopeshes), or deathnips (also have a set).

11 ftr / 3 mnk is a very sub-optimal blend. If you really want the extra monk goodness you are far better off going 8 ftr / 6 monk. You lose 2 ftr feats and power boost. You gain 2 monk feats (including master of forms, which you would have selected) and get light path, 2% dodge, 3 ac, fast movement 10%, and possibly access to shadow veil (at the cost of some considerable AP investment). So the feats are a wash, you are trading power boost for survivability which isn't the worst trade. But 11/3? you lose 1 net feat from either build (12/2 or 8/6), you lose power boost, and you don't gain dodge or AC, and only get 5% speed and light path.
    It's only Adept of forms with 6 monk levels, i'd still have to manually take Master, but yeah the feats would end up being a wash. Also I know it's hardly optimal, I'd initially planned for & used the LR to go for the 12/6/2 but am only at level 19 on him right now & was struck by a moment of "oh, but..."

Still, I have plenty of characters on the go & there's a good chance i'm going to TR it anyway as soon as it hits 20 & then just go with something like a deepsplash 2wf battlecleric/tempest with the new warpriest line, or maybe something completely different again, so it's not really high on my list of priorities - i'll get around to it some day!

Default Gear and Enhancements

Quote Originally Posted by elg582 View Post
    OK, so I thought it over, and here's what I came up with:

Human
    9 Monk/8 Fighter/3 Ranger

STR 16 +5 levels
    DEX 16 +1 level (feel free to drop this if you have tomes available)
    CON 14
    INT 8
    WIS 14
    CHA 8

1F Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword, Power Attack, Weapon Focus: Slashing
    2R
    3M Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency:Khopesh
    4R
    5M Mobility
    6F Cleave, Great Cleave
    7F
    8M Path:Harmonious Balance
    9F Improved Critical: Slashing, Weapon Specialization: Slashing
    10F
    11M
    12F Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    13F
    14M
    15F Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing, Stunning Blow
    16M Spring Attack (or Improved Sunder, if you want more buttons to push )
    17M
    18M Master of Forms
    19M
    20R
    21 Overwhelming Critical
    24 ?
    27 Blinding Speed

I know there is talk about trading DPS for survivability, but you can't DPS if you're dead, and Shadow Veil and Improved Evasion go a long way.

This is actually lower DPS than I could come up with, but you specified Khopesh (and I threw in B. swords because there are so many good ones, and you've got the feat to spare); you could go WSS so you don't need tier 5 Kensei, which would let you take tier 5 Ninja for Shadow Double, 100% Doublestrike for 6 seconds every 30 seconds, but it does restrict you to longswords, short swords, and kamas (or unarmed, but you lose a lot of the tempest bonuses).
    What kind of gear would you use and what enhancements for ranger? Would you have to use robes on this build?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast