Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Default Devs or Marketing - Please stop giving me free XP

As a VIP, I used to get stuff I wanted for my subscription. Now, instead of what I initially subscribed for, y'all keep throwing XP at me. Pretty soon, I'll hardly even need to run quests anymore.

XP bonus for being VIP, XP with every roll of the dice, or XP pots, or slayer boost pots and XP bonus weekends, tomes of learning.

It seems like you're giving out the XP because it's the only thing you can't charge AS or TP for. It's blatant, and it really solves nothing. Give me back the Unlimited part of DDO Unlimited, or give me something that's worth something.

XP is the easiest thing to grind for if I really want it badly enough.

It's like going to the bar, paying a cover to get in, and having the hostess bring and announce an unasked for "complimentary" glass of water (but I can pay for ice cubes, if I want them).

Give me something worth my money, or give up.

I don't get why the bonuses are not to your liking. Are you levelling up too fast compared to your friends? What exactly causes a problem for you?

I like the XP bonuses, especially because it makes the TR/completionist process easier and faster for me. I'm not asking for a huge easy auto-level-me-to-28 button, but if the development or marketing teams took away the bonuses you describe, I would be pretty ticked off.

I'm willing to bet there are many who feel the way I do too.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

A solution to your problem: Dont use the xp stones, and dont buy xp potions. If you want to further, dont play on bonus xp weekends.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

I think the point being made is that while VIP used to grant full access to the game, all classes and areas, that's slowly been disappearing as VIPs are now required to pay for new content in addition to their subscription fee. It seems the only thing VIP gets you now is a little extra XP.

OP isn't complaining that he levels too fast. He's complaining that the benefit from VIP is being continually eroded until it's no longer, in his opinion, worth the money.
    Last edited by Gurgar; 09-09-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Community Member

So you're not complaining about free stuff, you're complaining that they aren't giving you the RIGHT free stuff? Incidentally, you still get everything you always got with your VIP subscription, so its not like they're giving you XP instead of something you used to get.

With the level cap going up, and likely up again in early 2014 to 30...with the upcoming addition of Epic TR adding another set of PLs to grind for, with 8-10 extra levels tacked on each life compared to Heroic TR....with the rebalancing of the Heroic curve coming sometime in the near future...I think they're just trying to devalue XP a little bit, so people don't complain that the TR grind is overly long. They want to keep you running through PLs at about the same rate, I think, so you don't feel like it will take you years of daily play to "finish" your TR train.

Personally, I don't mind, I think its a good thing. I like that I can now level up my characters, playing just the quests I enjoy playing through. Quests don't get 'used up' anymore, with the daily ransack mechanic. The 20% daily bonus is a huge boon for more casual players, who don't just want to burn through as many Vale quests as they can zerg in their 3-hour XP Potion window.

Plus, that 200-400 XP you get really doesn't make a difference. You can eat a daily-dice XP pebble every day for a month, and it'll work out to maybe one midlevel quests' worth of XP.

And you still get 500 TP per month for free, or 6000 per year. If they release one expansion per year, you can use that 6000 to buy said expansion content (Shadowfell standard pack 2495, complete pack 4495, afaik), and have some left over still, on top of whatever you're earning in-game...
    Last edited by droid327; 09-09-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Founder

I agree with the OP, I can only imagine that the reason we stopped getting an interesting variety of items in the lottery is because they would rather charge for most things. Its really too bad. I can't imagine that most people are very excited to get a few hundred XP. I used to be interested in the lottery - now I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I agree with the OP, I can only imagine that the reason we stopped getting an interesting variety of items in the lottery is because they would rather charge for most things. Its really too bad. I can't imagine that most people are very excited to get a few hundred XP. I used to be interested in the lottery - now I'm not.
    A matter of curiosity. Excepting the hires, and greensteel ings, what has been removed.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

First off, I'm not complaining about getting the wrong "free things." Ain't nothing free; I pay a subscription and I now pay for classes and "expansion packs."

The XP they keep throwing at us is the poor replacement for the value-added items they have whittled away.

We get XP for playing, remember? The part that's supposed to be fun. I'll be getting the XP if I play, that's the game part.

The unearned XP they're throwing at us is for...?

As for the dice, we used to get creature companions and other things I can't recall at the moment.

I'd rather pretty much anything than an XP stone. Cookies would be better.

I agree with the OP, the XP Stones in the lottery, Bigby's box, Otto's box, Learning Tomes, XP Elixirs...

I'm sorry they don't like their game. I do. Please find ways to make the game more fun and engaging instead of finding new ways for me not to play it.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Our static group finds the xp stones from the daily dice incredibly group...due to death penalties,being absent,etc. it really helps close the gap
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

I understand the OP's point if view and happen to agree with it. One of the biggest benefits to being a VIP is that you get more experience. In other words, one of the biggest benefits of being VIP is that you level faster and thus get to play less of the game. That sounds great if you don't actually like playing the game. If you do like playing the game then the solution that has worked for me is to not be a VIP. Go ahead and cancel and go premium. You buy your content once and that is it.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    I understand the OP's point if view and happen to agree with it. One of the biggest benefits to being a VIP is that you get more experience. In other words, one of the biggest benefits of being VIP is that you level faster and thus get to play less of the game. That sounds great if you don't actually like playing the game. If you do like playing the game then the solution that has worked for me is to not be a VIP. Go ahead and cancel and go premium. You buy your content once and that is it.
    Then I'd lose a huge chunk of bank space and I'd be one of those beggars looking for an "opener."

But seriously, I'd have to buy some races just to get access to their inventory (if I went premium, why not make it so that I could log into my helfs and access inventory &c, but simply not enter quests? to make me pay, of course), and a bunch of packs just to run with my friends. The initial expenditure would be too much.

After years of VIP fees, it begins to have a sense of throwing good money after bad. I'd quit this broke-back game before I shelled out that kinda cash to go premium.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    Then I'd lose a huge chunk of bank space and I'd be one of those beggars looking for an "opener."

But seriously, I'd have to buy some races just to get access to their inventory (if I went premium, why not make it so that I could log into my helfs and access inventory &c, but simply not enter quests? to make me pay, of course), and a bunch of packs just to run with my friends. The initial expenditure would be too much.

After years of VIP fees, it begins to have a sense of throwing good money after bad. I'd quit this broke-back game before I shelled out that kinda cash to go premium.
    after years of vip you could have saved enough tp too buy all the packs,bank space and xpacks from the 500 monthly and tp earned by favor while lvling....the xp tokens are on top of what you typically get from a roll

although i would also like fun things added back into the dice rolls ....not everything in the game should be about toon power and progression

fun should start taking a larger role

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericrd View Post
    after years of vip you could have saved enough tp too buy all the packs,bank space and xpacks from the 500 monthly and tp earned by favor while lvling....the xp tokens are on top of what you typically get from a roll

although i would also like fun things added back into the dice rolls ....not everything in the game should be about toon power and progression

fun should start taking a larger role
    qft
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

I'm vip, I like leveling, but i also like playing all the quests. My last few TRs I wound up skipping over half the content between lvl 17-19, because i hit 20 too quickly. I've stopped buying xp pots, but still skipped all of IQ, Amrath and Reavers Refuge. Not to mention heroic highroad and druids. When playing with friends who are premium I'm always out leveling them by a long shot.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

If you dont like the VIP perks, then STOP subscribing.

I, for one, feel my $10 a month is well invested. I like the extra XP.. I like never having to worry about an Elite Opener.. 500 Turbine points means my $10 is really closer to $5 as well.

I dont like the fact that I have to buy "expansions".. Especially ones that have a little content as this last one... so guess what...

I didnt buy it....I'll get it once it goes on sale... thats for sure.... but it simply was not worth what they were asking to me.

If more people would stick to their guns instead of doing nothing but whining maybe turbine would get the hint...
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    If you dont like the VIP perks, then STOP subscribing.

I, for one, feel my $10 a month is well invested. I like the extra XP.. I like never having to worry about an Elite Opener.. 500 Turbine points means my $10 is really closer to $5 as well.

I dont like the fact that I have to buy "expansions".. Especially ones that have a little content as this last one... so guess what...

I didnt buy it....I'll get it once it goes on sale... thats for sure.... but it simply was not worth what they were asking to me.

If more people would stick to their guns instead of doing nothing but whining maybe turbine would get the hint...

Being vocal about what I want, as a paying customer, the kind that chooses a payment scheme intended to support a product, is the only way I can conceive of to bring attention to any issue. And it's not whining, tough guy.

They don't seem to care if people stop subscribing.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

I think what the OP is saying is smelling the roses is more fun.

I agree.

Stop with the xp in our face so much!

It is getting old.