Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Devs: please consider a post-shrine "autobuff" feature

I think I'm preaching to the choir when I say one of the most monotonous, painstaking tasks for a DDO magic-user is refreshing buffs in between shrines - especially in quests with several mini-boss fight / rebuff cycles.

Can you please consider a feature that automates these repetitive keystroke rituals?

In a very basic form:

-you set up a buff script and create a single bind for it. Every spell you add to the scipt is instantly cast with your currently active metamagic feats, e.g., extend.
    -the feature would only be available immediately after using a shrine - like spell swapping. I don't propose it should be available in combat but maybe in public areas.

In a more advanced form:

-you can select which buffs will have which metamagic feats.
    -you can adjust the script so that buffs are placed on party member x, (where x is a number between 1-12). This would allow you to automatically buff party members too.

I suppose some may argue this is an easy button; I beg to differ. Stop unnecessary wear on our numerical keys (and fingertips)! Save the keyboards!

/not signed

Increase players interaction with game mechanics, not automate them for less. Next thing you folks will want auto follow from WOW.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

they do have that feature in a simple form. Its called a "quickbar".
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Yeah count me as not signed, at some point the game is being played for you and the whole thing is pointless.

If you want the buffs cast them, if you want the ship buffs run around the ship. If its too much of a pain make different build choices, or mostly ignore ship buffs (i do)

Now if it's really that bad but you still must have them, get a programmable macro gaming kb (i do not recommend Razor, fragile garbage) and record a macro at the shrine hitting all buffs in succession and you've got what you want without the Devs wasting their time on it.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    they do have that feature in a simple form. Its called a "quickbar".
    The quick/hot bars are not an automated method for executing game commands; they are the central theme of the game's user interface. There's really only one way to cast a magic missle, so generally speaking there isn't already a means of automation like you say.

Community Member

Arius,

I agree that some scripting would be nice were it possible.
    I suspect that the game engine does not support it.

Repetitively hitting oft repeated commands is not a "fun" part of the game as Shores11 implies.
    We're not talking about scripting 3 minute attack routines, just buffs or other activities in post-shrining times.

And as one poster suggested, it would be quicker to get a macro enabled keyboard and try that.
    It's not perfect, but it is very handy for some repetitive sequential tasks.

Cheers

Community Member

It'd be like the Spell Sequencer we know from Baldur's Gate 2. Yeah, why not? Sounds interesting.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arius View Post
    I think I'm preaching to the choir when I say one of the most monotonous, painstaking tasks for a DDO magic-user is refreshing buffs in between shrines - especially in quests with several mini-boss fight / rebuff cycles.

Can you please consider a feature that automates these repetitive keystroke rituals?

In a very basic form:

-you set up a buff script and create a single bind for it. Every spell you add to the scipt is instantly cast with your currently active metamagic feats, e.g., extend.
    -the feature would only be available immediately after using a shrine - like spell swapping. I don't propose it should be available in combat but maybe in public areas.

In a more advanced form:

-you can select which buffs will have which metamagic feats.
    -you can adjust the script so that buffs are placed on party member x, (where x is a number between 1-12). This would allow you to automatically buff party members too.

I suppose some may argue this is an easy button; I beg to differ. Stop unnecessary wear on our numerical keys (and fingertips)! Save the keyboards!
    so it's a 2 fold solution, it removes the need for button presses and also removes the waiting for cooldowns (hence post shrine only).

i don't know, having been both a buffer and a buffee over the many years i'm just not sure if it sits right with me. i wouldnt mind seeing more mass versions of buff spells, like resistance and FoM, but those would come at some sort of cost. it could be implemented as a metamagic feat, as an enhancement that burns extra SP too or just as higher lvl spells. it's only those single target spells i find to be a pain in the rump to buff with. even the self casts are fine as i tend to do those as i bounce away from the shrine jump casting each one.

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    I do wish people would stop giving WoW credit for every idea any MMO has ever come up with. WoW probably was the first to do a few things, but the main thing WoW did right was stealing almost every great idea any other MMO ever had. Auto-follow was around long before WoW.

That said, almost all games have auto-follow and you are totally right that we folks do want auto-follow. If your game is made with technology created after 1990 it should have auto-follow in it. It is a simple concept in almost every MMO in existence. The idea that a person that went afk should not be allowed to stay with the group is silly.
    just doesn't feel right to me in a game that leans on the FPS play style. we have this option in left4dead, but the group of friends i play with would prefer to stop and defend the room we're in than let the bot take over auto-follow style (and not just because the bot will throw away a SPAS and pick up a sniper rifle!). auto-follow just doesn't suit FPS style games. sure i can see the use in an open killing field style MMO, but DDO is far removed from that.

besides, we've all seen what fate awaits anyone in auto-follow mode, we just have to look at the hirelings with their boosted saving throws and energy absorptions in a vain attempt to prevent trap death to see that it would end in a horrible puddle of goo that was once an adventurer. also take note of how many times a hireling has to teleport in the vast variety of quests, and how they are allowed to cheat and teleport inside locked rooms. no way we could give an auto-follow system the teleport ability which means it would completely fail to work. DDO is not a open field killing MMO, it's a hand crafted dungeon that gets players to work with their environment in a way that is difficult for lightweight AI to keep up with (lightweight due to server load)
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

The quick/hot bars are not an automated method for executing game commands; they are the central theme of the game's user interface. There's really only one way to cast a magic missle, so generally speaking there isn't already a means of automation like you say.
    MAke a hotbar containing the buffs, and youre almost there. OK, so you have to make a few clicks, but that shouldnt be impossible for you to handle.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

MAke a hotbar containing the buffs, and youre almost there.
    no kiddin? I already have two full hot bars dedicated to buffs on my magic-users (wiz, bard, and druid in particular).

OK, so you have to make a few clicks, but that shouldnt be impossible for you to handle.
    that's kind of the point: just a few clicks...... hun-dreds of times. The novelty wears off quickly.

It's also not 'impossible" to manually drag each collectible into the bag - but nice to have an autogather feature.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    /not signed

Increase players interaction with game mechanics, not automate them for less. Next thing you folks will want auto follow from WOW.
    Oh, good idea. I didn't even know that follow target was a feature. /signed

Man, this game so primitive.

Also, for the OP. And were it to be implemented, I'm not entirely sure if they wouldn't charge you astral shards for that. And by not entirely sure I mean they will :/

Community Member

/not signed

I'd happily take /face from daoc. More controls and options is always better. If you don't like them, you don't have to use them.

Community Member

/not signed

I do wish people would stop giving WoW credit for every idea any MMO has ever come up with. WoW probably was the first to do a few things, but the main thing WoW did right was stealing almost every great idea any other MMO ever had. Auto-follow was around long before WoW.

That said, almost all games have auto-follow and you are totally right that we folks do want auto-follow. If your game is made with technology created after 1990 it should have auto-follow in it. It is a simple concept in almost every MMO in existence. The idea that a person that went afk should not be allowed to stay with the group is silly.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post

I dont want autofollow unless I can kill people with it like I could in SWG

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

/not signed

So you play with the autogather feature in your collectible/gem/ingredient bags off, I take it? You drag every last one manually so as to "increase your interaction with the game mechanics?"

/not signed

I'd love to have Autofollow as an option..and do you reeaaaaaallly think WOW was where Autofollow started? I cant see a single feature in WOW that was created or developed by WOW. All the functions there had proven track records elswere before WOW was more than 111122212111.

<edit part>
    But I agree, I do not want auto buffs...what is the point in that?

Community Member

/signed
    And I for one would LOVE to see more automation incorporated into the game. Turbine could take a page or 2 from http://progressquest.com/

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild View Post
    /signed
    And I for one would LOVE to see more automation incorporated into the game. Turbine could take a page or 2 from http://progressquest.com/
    ahh, i see what you did there
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

Autohotkey is good for this if you dont care to buy a macro keyboard.

Thats assuming you are not suggesting to remove the cooldown and casting - if you want the buffs to happen instantly thats a different thing entirely. Sure, I would not mind at all but I dont think that will happen.

/not signed

Two things DDO has too much of is short cutting a lot of things and lack of player patience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast