Default Caught in the lag

We ran caught in the web tonight on epic normal. First try we all wiped because of an instance wide lag. Second try a portal bugged out so we all had to reenter and run the whole way again to advance.

Finally we succeeded and 12 people got in total 3 commendations and no named item out of 6 chests. (Minor issue, this is probably just bad luck)

Do you consider this to be fun? It is not.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

Community Member

Can't say I've experienced the lag issue, but CiTW is the only raid I actually dread running. It's just so long and (hate to say it, but...) boring, and I'll be lucky if I get anything useful out of it on any given run. Seems like there should be a guaranteed commendation drop like in FoT, especially considering CiTW is longer and a much greater pain to run.

Probably the worst part is the amount of purple in that raid, though. Seriously ... it feels oppressive, and it hurts the eyes after a while. I think Lolth should take a hint from whoever created Toril and add some clouds and blue skies to her realm.
    Last edited by bazooka99; 09-08-2013 at 04:03 PM.

EN CiTW this weekend: no lag or other issues, 12 people, 2 commendations, 3 named weapons, seemed we did a little better, well except for the 7 people who got nothing, but I guess that comes from running on Epic Normal, which to be honest isn't that challenging.

Thanks for providing your lag-free experiences with citw. The second run we did was also lag-free. But believe me occasional there is instance wide lag (maybe server-wide), nobody can move or do stuff. After a minute or two lagging the drows in there kick your axe and the party wipes. I am not sure if it is that i2049 thingy, I just checked the location on the second run (i205) which was lagfree in total. This instance wide lag is not exclusive for citw, it occasionally occurs in other raids/quests too. Sometimes you are lucky when no foes are around, you just stand there and wait til its over. I know turbine you are aware of this issue, but apparently you have no plan how to fix it since this issue haunts ddo for months or years, sometimes more, sometimes less.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 09-09-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post
    We ran caught in the web tonight on epic normal. First try we all wiped because of an instance wide lag. Second try a portal bugged out so we all had to reenter and run the whole way again to advance.

Finally we succeeded and 12 people got in total 3 commendations and no named item out of 6 chests. (Minor issue, this is probably just bad luck)

I can't tell much a bout lag... most of the lag I get from CiTW is graphic/Cpu lag and anyway ....

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka99 View Post
    CiTW is the only raid I actually dread running. It's just so long and (hate to say it, but...) boring, and I'll be lucky if I get anything useful out of it on any given run.
    ... I consider it tedious ( at best ), not interesting and not giving enough reward for the pain involved in doing it.

It's slowly drifting on my list of 'Raids that Shall Not be Run' to join Demon Queen there.
    ( DQ is there for the retarded reflagging as two groups reasons, I have no problem with the raid itself )

There's so many stupid mechanisms in CiTW :
    - navel bashing
    - headless chicken runs.
    - more navel bashing
    - being thrown to death
    - being put in jail on death
    - being drained of mana
    - respawns all over the place that makes it a nuisance to run around.
    - rewards with a drop rate so low that it's ridiculous ( the exact values are available... somewhere else ).
    - long raid, very long raid...

All in all, VON 5/6 is more fun, better designed, and provides more incentive to be run. Even an Epicified Titan would be more fun.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Daine View Post
    EN CiTW this weekend: no lag or other issues, 12 people, 2 commendations, 3 named weapons, seemed we did a little better, well except for the 7 people who got nothing, but I guess that comes from running on Epic Normal, which to be honest isn't that challenging.
    Enormal has best droprate of weapons.
    Sadly enough, I see 1 weapon on avg per run.

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post

i consider that after 1 hour (a bit less sometimes, a bit more sometimes) getting 3 comms and 0 weapons among 12 pullers * 6 chests is a bad design

specially when current random loot is better

citw is gonna be forgotten in the oblivion and this rate, and turbine is forcing us to do so
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    i consider that after 1 hour (a bit less sometimes, a bit more sometimes) getting 3 comms and 0 weapons among 12 pullers * 6 chests is a bad design

specially when current random loot is better

citw is gonna be forgotten in the oblivion and this rate, and turbine is forcing us to do so

I've never bothered flagging for CitW. Am I to take it that people don't just run this raid for fun?

Community Member

Phaeton,

Depends if you find pulling your fingers nails out to be fun.....
    :-)

It's worth running once and forming your own view.
    It does feel tedious with quite a few obvious mechanisms to make it artificially challenging (ie. lazy development).
    FOT is easier, quicker and better rewards.
    Many don't bother with CITW anymore.
    It's a shame because the fix to incentivise people to run it would be easy, but the devs have ignored all commentary on it.

Try it out and see what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    I've never bothered flagging for CitW. Am I to take it that people don't just run this raid for fun?
    I have to recommend this quest line (at least once) it nicely ties up an awful lot of quests and is worth it for that alone. Many dislike it because it was the end-game for too long and heavily encourages repeated runs and thus have run it to death.

I'd wait until the saga system is up and working again (or is it already?) and run the entire chain and grab an extra reward for the chain, plus get the story in the order it was intended to be told.

CitW is the easiest, longest, most boring, mindless-auto-attack-fest, takes-no-thought-at-all raid in the game in my opinion. I would rather pike a ladder in titan any day, at least then I could go do something else while I wait for the quest to complete.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Never mind the fact that with the raid completions being borked (and in-game support not supporting this issue), it lowers the incentive to run it even moreso. The weapons are nice to be sure, but once you have it/them, FoT is the way to go for your comm needs.

Sitting 2 completions away from 20 and seriously doubting I will want to try further lol
    Science may be theory, but stupidity is proven.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Thanks for the answers guys. I was being somewhat facetious, but now I'll have to look at flagging more seriously.