Community Member

Default Gear/Equipment question(s)

Hello, new to the game (2+ weeks) and have some questions about gear, their stats, and how it all works.

I found the section in the new player FAQ about gear but it didn't answer my questions fully. (the gear section is here)

Up until now I thought gear stats stacked, for example, you could have 3 pieces of gear with +2 STR to boost your STR by +6 total. But, I learned today that is not the case. So if I understand it correctly the stat boost chosen is the one that offers the highest boost. If I were to wear three items with STR +1, +2, +3 consecutively it would result in a bonus of +3, +3 being the best stat of the three.

But, I've also noticed there are some subtle differences in wording when it comes to some different stat boosts that allow stacking, for example, these stack:

+4 deflection bonus to AC
    +4 Armor Bonus to AC
    +1 Natural bonus to AC

+10 Vitality bonus to HP
    +10 Enhancement bonus to HP

With the Armor Class bonus, is there a difference between these? From what I've seen it isn't but I wasn't sure. They all increase the AC by the amount listed but is there any difference in how each works?

The other question I had was in regards to augments and stacking.

For example, if I had an item with +25% fortification and a blue augment slot and I were to slot in a sapphire of moderation fortification (+75%) would the item then infer a +100% bonus?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by somecallmetim; 09-06-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added link

Default No expert but some information

Whether values stack or not depends on the type of bonus.

So, in your examples that don't work (the Strength ones), each is considered an "enhancement" bonus. If you look at the description is should say something like +2 Enhancement Bonus to Strength. Since all are enhancement bonuses, they don't stack.

However, in the examples that do work:

+10 Vitality bonus to HP
    +10 Enhancement bonus to HP

Notice that they are different "types" of bonus: One is a vitality bonus, and the other an enhancement bonus. Since they are different types, they stack.

In the case of fortification, there are some that stack, but those have different types again: enhancement and insight bonuses.

DDOWiki is your friend for this type of information, and the article on stacking is here: http://ddowiki.com/page/Stack

Community Member

augments dont stack unless their specific rules allow them to. so, a mod fort augment would only give mod fort if you didnt have a better item on already. There is exceptional fort items in the game, but afaik ther eisnt an augment of it currently.

AC pretty much different bonuses all stack. Dex, (Wis, and centered bonus if your a monk monk), armor, shield. deflection, natural, size, luck, alchemical, feats, insight, and primal all stack with the highest taking precedence within each of the different types. there are some unlisted bonuses as well which stack but those are far and few in between (like rough hide from various named items that give a +3 natural armor, that stacks with other natural armor)

AC used to have dodge also giving AC bonus, but it managed to get its own system and thus while its still used for defense it isnt part of the AC formula (I believe they finally fixed haste spell to give actual dodge bonus rahter then AC bonus now as well, not sure tho), Dodge is basically a flat % to be missed. which if its bypassed then it goes to the next defensive ability (there is dodge, Concealment, incorporeal, then AC, then after your hit it checks your DR, and if damage still gets through it gets reduced by your PPR)

stats are the same way, you got base enhancement (up to +11 currently for some stats), insightful (up to +3), exceptional (+1), there are also other types such as profane, compentence and psionic that stack with the items.

Vitality (old toughness) stacks with the enhancement (old false life), which can stack further with some items such as greensteel HP items.

basically if it is typed as a different name, it is supposed to stack, with feats each being unlisted thus all stacking. if it doesnt then I'd bug report it.

The replies have pretty much covered it. For a few things, if you're still unsure if they stack (like AC, HP, fortification or saves), the easiest way to find out is by bringing up both your inventory and character sheets. Play around with switching items and look at the changes on the character sheet.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (28 Tempest), Heldre (20 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (16 Ranger), Alansa (23 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (28 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (18 Kensei/2 Eldritch Knight); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/2 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (17 Druid)

Community Member

Just some general solid new-person advice for gear:

AC is great early on, but unless you're a heavy-armor class with shields, don't worry too much about it. You said you were STR based, so I'm guessing you're a melee fighter....just focus on one piece of STR gear, one piece of CON gear, Vitality, False Life, Deadly, Dodge, and Speed, plus one piece of Resistance gear for better saves. Everything else is largely ancillary - nice to have but not fundamental. Deathblock will be in there around L8-9, when things start trying to instakill you. A good weapon is the most important thing, but its easy enough to figure out what's giving you the most DPS.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Just some general solid new-person advice for gear:

AC is great early on, but unless you're a heavy-armor class with shields, don't worry too much about it. You said you were STR based, so I'm guessing you're a melee fighter....just focus on one piece of STR gear, one piece of CON gear, Vitality, False Life, Deadly, Dodge, and Speed, plus one piece of Resistance gear for better saves. Everything else is largely ancillary - nice to have but not fundamental. Deathblock will be in there around L8-9, when things start trying to instakill you. A good weapon is the most important thing, but its easy enough to figure out what's giving you the most DPS.
    No, actually Pale Trapper, I was just using AC and STR as examples.