Community Member

Default Item Augments are not just poorly implemented, but bugged as well

I am working on a reincarnated rogue. I have him built for DPS through the assassin skill tree with some help in the mechanic tree for trapping. The only thing he ever struggles with is SPOT. So I find an expensive white level 16 augment in the auction house, plunk down the cash after some careful research, and waited from level 15 to 16 to get it implemented. The spot goggles I wear (+15) are a "COMPETENCE BONUS" to spot skill, while the augment crystal had a "EQUIPMENT BONUS" listed on its description. Having played for 6 years, I understood that different types of bonuses will stack. However, once I put the augment into the item, it MIRACULOUSLY BECAME A COMPETENCE BONUS. How moronic is that. And I added it to a named piece of loot that binds to character, so now I am stuck with a ring I don't need that adds nothing to spot. I was already disappointed with the majority of the last release (however, the enhancement trees are a welcome change - regardless of how bugged they are,) but this is now starting to get annoying at the many complexities of the game they attempted to update in this last release and got wrong (especially new items [how many ghostbane and riposte items do we have to endure?])

Quote Originally Posted by Fragamentary View Post
    I am working on a reincarnated rogue. I have him built for DPS through the assassin skill tree with some help in the mechanic tree for trapping. The only thing he ever struggles with is SPOT. So I find an expensive white level 16 augment in the auction house, plunk down the cash after some careful research, and waited from level 15 to 16 to get it implemented. The spot goggles I wear (+15) are a "COMPETENCE BONUS" to spot skill, while the augment crystal had a "EQUIPMENT BONUS" listed on its description. Having played for 6 years, I understood that different types of bonuses will stack. However, once I put the augment into the item, it MIRACULOUSLY BECAME A COMPETENCE BONUS. How moronic is that. And I added it to a named piece of loot that binds to character, so now I am stuck with a ring I don't need that adds nothing to spot. I was already disappointed with the majority of the last release (however, the enhancement trees are a welcome change - regardless of how bugged they are,) but this is now starting to get annoying at the many complexities of the game they attempted to update in this last release and got wrong (especially new items [how many ghostbane and riposte items do we have to endure?])
    I think if the dev team wants us to understand stacking rules, they really have to be consistent with their wording. It's a small thing, but it really is unacceptable when it's a simple fix to reword it properly. I'm certain it was never meant to stack with other gear with competence bonuses, but the fact that they worded it poorly leads to confusion. This game needs to get it's bugs in check and then work on polishing up things like this so the game doesn't look so unfinished.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

I suspect this is simply a labelling error (and that it's meant to be competence but says equipment) but that doesn't make it any less of a problem for people who buy the things assuming they stack on the same grounds that you did, because that's a reasonable thing to think.

Huh, that's odd. Granted, I don't actually have an Augment Diamond for Spot, but all the ones I do have (Search, Move Silently, Haggle, Jump, Heal etc.) clearly state "Double-click to upgrade an item with a # Competence Bonus to the .... Skill.

It affects all Spot Augments I'd bug report it (if I'd have one to verify), the only other explanation (outside reading/user error) I can think of is that some point some Augments with a wrong text made it into the game and are still circulated around.
    Characters on Sarlona: Ungnad (Morninglord, Wizard 17 / Favored Soul 2 / Fighter 1) -- Baerktghar (Dwarf, Paladin 18 / Fighter 2) -- Simulacruhm (Bladeforged, Artificer 16 / Paladin 3 / Wizard 1)

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
    -- Jascha Heifetz

Community Member

Between MMO-altered 3.5 rules, the shoehorned-in transitory 4th ed. rules, and a general inconsistency with terminology, item descriptions, and coding, I would expect no less.

Community Member

Beethoven, I agree with you. Most of the other skill augments say COMPETENCE BONUS, while this +9 level 16 augment said EQUIPMENT. I checked it like 10 times before building the item. If you look at the diamond stat augments, they all say EQUIPMENT BONUS, so I didn't think anything of it, only that the bonuses did not match. Just gonna have to work on finding a different way to gain 3 or 4 spot points.

Community Member

Also I just upgraded the fot bracers with enhanced 5 to search n dd and they are not stacking either

def need to work on there bugs

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

He is saying that it said equipment bonus and changed to enhancement bonus by the game code. When it was slotted it changed.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    I suspect this is simply a labelling error (and that it's meant to be competence but says equipment) but that doesn't make it any less of a problem for people who buy the things assuming they stack on the same grounds that you did, because that's a reasonable thing to think.
    Having gems that are meant to be a competence bonus but says equipment bonus would be a huge problem. They should not exist unless they are an equipment bonus. The only reason the augments exist is to provide a bonus. If they coded it as enhancement but labeled it as equipment (whether on purpose or accident) then all I can do is shake my head and wonder and think of nasty things to type about the people who make this game, but I won't. But I will say this. I am not surprised that something like this happens given the track record over the years is terrible.

I am a die-hard fan of Dungeons and Dragons and it was a big part of my life in the 80's.

And the online version of the pnp version which started it all is a terrible mess and a slap in the face to the genre that respects it.

The only reason this game gets new players every day is because of the culture that is D&D and the genre that follows it and not because this is a good game. Once we are hooked we stick around hoping something gets done to keep our faith in our love of D&D and that on online version is supposed to be awesome! What once took days/weeks in a pnp campaign now only takes minutes to an hour(s)! This is the appeal of all! This is what makes it so enticing to get this game! .....................EPIC FAIL!

I can only hope that something is done soon to fix all the problems in this game that seem to be rookie mistakes in my opinion.
    The coders need to slow down and check their own work.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 09-08-2013 at 10:44 AM.