Thread: Horc Smash!

Default Horc Smash!

I've got a (currently) level 13 Half Orc pure fighter and I was trying to think of ways to make him smack things harder. At first I thought, "Hey, why not go with one of those quarterstaff builds people are raving about?" But then the simplistic intelligence of the Half Orc found it's way into my reasoning with, "If smacking something with a piece of wood hurts, smacking something with a piece of wood with a giant, sharp, slashy thing on the end should hurt more, right?" So let's use a Great Axe! And stay centered with it! Yay! So I started the hamster wheel in my head a spinning and here's what I came up with.

A Half Orc 12 Fighter/ 8 Monk. I was thinking about a 13/7 split but 13 fighter only gives you an extra +1 BAB. Where as 8 Monk gives you the same +1 BAB, more Slow Fall, and if you go to handwraps for some blunt fisty damage, 2d6 hand damage.
    Now the 12/8 split gives you a fair number of feats as well, 17 by my count. (I did just wake up though, I've only had a half cup of coffee so far....) 3 for monk, 7 for fighter, and the 7 that we all get to enjoy. But I digress, on with my silly idea!

Here's just the enhancements so far:

Orc
    • Core
    • Orcish Fury I - [1ap]
    • Orcish Strength I - [2ap]
    • Orcish Fury II - [1ap]
    • Orcish Strength II - [2ap]

Tier One
    • Orcish Weapon Training - [2ap]

Tier Two
    • Mighty Sundering III - [3ap]

Tier Three

Tier Four
    • Brutality - [1ap]

Total Spent: 18 ap

Shintao Monk
    • Core
    • Bastion Of Purity - [1ap]
    • Protection From Tainted Creatures - [1ap]
    • Iron Hand - [1ap]

-- I realize that the bonus to spell power is wasted, as is the unarmed bypass. But 15% healing amp for 3 ap isn't that bad.

Tier One
    • Lifting The Veil (or what ever you choose, just need the points spent) [2ap]
    • Reed In The Wind II [2ap]

Tier Two
    • Iron Skin III [6ap]
    • Fists of Iron [2ap]
    • Conditioning III [3ap]

Tier Four
    • Wisdom I [2ap]

Tier Five
    • Wisdom II [2ap]

Total Spent: 22 ap

Fighter Kensai
    • Core
    • Kensai Focus Axes - [1ap]
    • Spiritual Bond - [1ap]
    • Strike With No Thought - [1ap]
    • Power Surge - [1ap]

Tier One
    • Kensai Weapon Specialization: Axes I - [2ap]
    • Haste Boost - [3ap]

Tier Two
    • Tactics III - [6ap]
    • Kensai Weapon Specialization: Axes II - [2ap]
    • Imroved Dodge III - [6ap]
    • Weapon Meditation II - [4ap]

Tier 3
    • Kensai Weapon Specialization: Axes III - [2ap]
    • Shattering Strike II - [2ap]
    • Strength I - [2ap]

Tier 4
    • Kensai Weapon Specialization: Axes IV - [2ap]
    • Strength II - [2ap]

Tier 5
    • Keen Edge - [1ap]
    • Deadly Strike - [1ap]
    • One With The Blade - [1ap]

Total Spent: 40 ap

Total AP Spent Overall: 80

Now it's the monk enhancements I'm unsure of. For Example:
    Reed in the Wind: "Ki Melee Attack: Deals +1[W] damage." Does this only apply to unarmed attacks? It's not at all clear in the description.
    Fists of Iron: "Earth Ki Melee Attack: You have imbued your attacks with extra force. Performs a melee attack with +3[W] damage, +1 critical threat range, and +1 Critical Damage Multiplier." Again not clear whether you can use weapon or just unarmed.

Feats. Well, feats are all the usual suspects for a two handed fighting build. The 2hf chain, PA, Cleave, and Great Cleave.
    With some goodies thrown in for juicy goodness: Improved Sunder, Dodge, Mobility, Spring attack, Stunning Blow, etc. Realistically there's almost too many feats so you could just take whatever. Just remember the feat req. for Kensai enhancements. Mine went something like this:

I'd love it if I could figure a way to squeeze the Intelligence to 13 so I could pick up Combat Expertise and Whirlwind Attack too. Here's What I have in mind for 32 point stats currently: STR: 18, DEX: 14, CON: 16, INT: 8, WIS: 14, CHA: 6. I could drop strength to 17 and Con to 14 leaving me with a 12 int (I know I could go with 11 int and a +2 tome, but I'd still have 1 point left over anyways and +1 tomes are cheap as dirt.) But I need the 18 STR + 5 level ups for Overwhelming Critical.

Wow, that's all over the place hey? I'm still, sleepy, I need more coffee. Tell me what you think, your ideas, things to make it better, etc etc while I go pour me a cup of joe and have a smoke or 2.

P.S. I'm a raging alt-o-holic so I'll likely get this character to 20 and park it. (Just like the bunch of other lvl 20's gathering dust in my stable)

But if I were to go into epic levels...

New ability stats - 18 STR (all lvl ups here), 14 DEX, 14 CON, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 6 (a +3 INT tome at level 10 for Combat Expertise)

1 Monk: Dodge, Mobility
    2 Fighter: Weapon Focus: Slash
    3 Fighter: PA, Cleave
    4 Fighter: None
    5 Fighter: 2HF
    6 Fighter: Spring Attack
    7 Fighter: Great Cleave
    8 Fighter: None
    9 Fighter: I2HF, Imp Crit: Slash
    10 Fighter: None
    11 Fighter: CE
    12 Fighter: Weapon Specialization: Slash
    13 Fighter: G2HF
    14 Monk: Improved Trip
    15 Monk: Greater Weapon Focus: Slash, Monk Path: FoL
    16 Monk: None
    17 Monk: None
    18 Monk: Whirlwind Attack, Improved Sunder
    19 Monk: None
    20 Monk : None
    21 Epic: Overwhelming Critical
    22 Epic: None
    23 Epic: None
    24 Epic: Master of Forms
    25 Epic: None
    26 Epic: For some stupid reason it will only allow me to choose Toughness here. (it says it's a class feat too. Going to try to feat swap it later.)
    27 Epic: Tough one. Blinding Speed? Grandmaster of Forms? Epic Damage Reduction?
    28 Epic: For some stupid reason it will only allow me to choose Toughness here. (it says it's a class feat too. Going to try to feat swap it later.)

Ability Scores:
    STR 18 (all lvl ups here of course), DEX 14, CON 14, INT 10(+3 tome for CE), WIS 14, CHA 6
    Last edited by MalkavianX; 09-13-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Updated Stats and Feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    Where as 8 Monk gives you the same +1 BAB, more Slow Fall, and if you go to handwraps for some blunt fisty damage, 2d6 hand damage.
    Why switch to handwraps on a build w/no TWF feats? Just switch to a staff to stay centered; you only need it to beat down skeletons & clay golems, anyway. I think pally, druid, or maybe rgr splash would be better.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Try to fit in their DM...lock smash is just so fun and the +1 to chests cant hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Why switch to handwraps on a build w/no TWF feats? Just switch to a staff to stay centered; you only need it to beat down skeletons & clay golems, anyway. I think pally, druid, or maybe rgr splash would be better.
    Just for giggles. No other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Try to fit in their DM...lock smash is just so fun and the +1 to chests cant hurt
    Believe me I tried. I know I said earlier that there were plenty of feats, but I was grossly mistaken.

Updated op with feats (even to lvl 28 in case I ever get ambitious enough to epic it) and ability scores. The only tome you'd need is a +3 INT for Combat Expertise. For some reason it forced me to take toughness twice near the end there too. Going to try and see if I can swap them out.
    Last edited by MalkavianX; 09-13-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

The lvl 26 and 28 feat slots only allow for toughness unless you have maxed out epic destinies 1 or 2 in each sphere unlocks more and more avail feats
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.