Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default first i wouldnt listen to CHAI ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    With dex to damage on elves and rogues nowdays, arcane archer became more newbie friendly, due to having to invest in less stats.

Wis/Dex build, with a side order of con for good measure. Something like 11 ranger, 6 monk, 3 rogue.

High stunning fist DC
    High EIN in GMoF
    Weapon finesse + assassin3 core = dex to damage w/ melee weapons that all use finesse to hit.
    Grace = dex to longbow damage
    Lots of SA dice that can be picked up.
    Manyshot + 10k stars
    Can work on many different class splits - without having to build for bow str.
    first I would ignore ALL advice chai gives you. He actually doesn't play the game he just posts on forums all day. Second the best class mix for the build he speaks of is actually 8 fighter/ 6 monk/ 6 ranger. My guildmate redwedding invented the FURYSHOT build. This mix works ranged or melee and you can remained centered with your choice of melee weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by riskyraines View Post
    first I would ignore ALL advice chai gives you. He actually doesn't play the game he just posts on forums all day. Second the best class mix for the build he speaks of is actually 8 fighter/ 6 monk/ 6 ranger. My guildmate redwedding invented the FURYSHOT build. This mix works ranged or melee and you can remained centered with your choice of melee weapons.
    The build youre talking about was posted long before your friend invented it. Fury shot is more than a year old now and has has 2 iterations.

My suggested class breakdown offers more in the skills dpt, is more new player friendly.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

First, I find 6 monk indispensable to AA. Having 10k stars to fill in a minute of the CD time between Manyshots (cycle 10k->MS->10k as each comes off CD) or simple using 10k only to 'save' MS when you're not sure exactly when you'll be hitting a boss fight makes a huge difference in damage output.

6 ranger is a given too...it's not required but it gets you to Metalline Arrows/Sniper Shot and to Tier 5 of AA without playing an elf.

So the question is just what to do with those last 8 levels. Honestly DDO has become much more open in the enh pass. There isn't any one 'right' answer now. Just some guidelines/significant levels.

• 14 ranger gives level 4 spells including cure serious wounds and freedom of movement
    • 11 ranger gives all of the twf and archery feats including gtwf and improved precise shot
    • 8 ranger gives access to the Empower Healing feat
    • 12 monk gives leap of faith and the 4th fast movement
    • 9 monk gives improved evasion and the 3rd fast movement

There's also a huge set of options beyond our two base classes. Any class that has something we like in the trees can be splashed just for the enhancements. Fighter can be splashed for extra feats. FvS/Cleric can be splashed for access to Empower Healing and Magical Training. Rogue/Arti can be splashed for trapping skills, open lock, or even just to get UMD as a class skill. Paladin can be splashed for the saves boost (though it's really hard to balance all the stats an AA needs).

Your stats you focus on will depend on your build you choose. Pretty much any AA following what I've shown here will want a hefty investment in Wisdom though - if you have 10k stars you want wisdom. Given that we'll want to stay centered for 10k stars we'll need Zen Archery which means we'll get our to-hit from Wisdom if it's higher than our Dex. In addition, I'd be really sad to make an AA that didn't get Cleave -> Great Cleave -> Overwhelming Critical so 23str is required for that. Whether you decide to go Str or Dex for damage with bows will depend on your build. In my specific case I went with a Human 9 monk, 8 ranger, 3 artificer. I wanted to have full UMD with a 75% bonus to scrolls, to have a 5 minute elemental weapons buff available both for myself and for the group/raid, and I wanted to maximize my healing output with Cocoon by picking up Empower Healing. If you're not concerned about that last part, 12 monk, 6 ranger, 2 artificer would fit the bill for everything else I mentioned. With this build I found no enhancement room left for Ninja Spy and also found a large gap between buffed strength and buffed dex (Primal Scream, Titan's Gloves, etc. don't have a dex equivalent) so I opted for Strength to damage.

I would say that AA has more options now than ever. For anyone that wants to try and future-proof their builds the OP's thought of simply staying 100% ranger is definitely not bad. At worst you're a standard lesser heart from fixing anything that's wrong, and most things will be fixable with a feat swap or enhancement respec. But an AA build without 10k stars will definitely want to consider melee'ing in between manyshots. For those wanting to remain at ranged or running EE's a lot where it's a good idea to stay at ranged I think that 10k stars is a necessity to smooth out the dips in damage when MS is on cooldown.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    First, I find 6 monk indispensable to AA. Having 10k stars to fill in a minute of the CD time between Manyshots (cycle 10k->MS->10k as each comes off CD) or simple using 10k only to 'save' MS when you're not sure exactly when you'll be hitting a boss fight makes a huge difference in damage output.

6 ranger is a given too...it's not required but it gets you to Metalline Arrows/Sniper Shot and to Tier 5 of AA without playing an elf.

So the question is just what to do with those last 8 levels. Honestly DDO has become much more open in the enh pass. There isn't any one 'right' answer now. Just some guidelines/significant levels.

• 14 ranger gives level 4 spells including cure serious wounds and freedom of movement
    • 11 ranger gives all of the twf and archery feats including gtwf and improved precise shot

There's also a huge set of options beyond our two base classes. Any class that has something we like in the trees can be splashed just for the enhancements. Fighter can be splashed for extra feats. FvS/Cleric can be splashed for access to Empower Healing and Magical Training. Rogue/Arti can be splashed for trapping skills, open lock, or even just to get UMD as a class skill. Paladin can be splashed for the saves boost (though it's really hard to balance all the stats an AA needs).

Your stats you focus on will depend on your build you choose. Pretty much any AA following what I've shown here will want a hefty investment in Wisdom though - if you have 10k stars you want wisdom. Given that we'll want to stay centered for 10k stars we'll need Zen Archery which means we'll get our to-hit from Wisdom if it's higher than our Dex. In addition, I'd be really sad to make an AA that didn't get Cleave -> Great Cleave -> Overwhelming Critical so 23str is required for that. Whether you decide to go Str or Dex for damage with bows will depend on your build. In my specific case I went with a Human 9 monk, 8 ranger, 3 artificer. I wanted to have full UMD with a 75% bonus to scrolls, to have a 5 minute elemental weapons buff available both for myself and for the group/raid, and I wanted to maximize my healing output with Cocoon by picking up Empower Healing. If you're not concerned about that last part, 12 monk, 6 ranger, 2 artificer would fit the bill for everything else I mentioned. With this build I found no enhancement room left for Ninja Spy and also found a large gap between buffed strength and buffed dex (Primal Scream, Titan's Gloves, etc. don't have a dex equivalent) so I opted for Strength to damage.

I would say that AA has more options now than ever. For anyone that wants to try and future-proof their builds the OP's thought of simply staying 100% ranger is definitely not bad. At worst you're a standard lesser heart from fixing anything that's wrong, and most things will be fixable with a feat swap or enhancement respec. But an AA build without 10k stars will definitely want to consider melee'ing in between manyshots. For those wanting to remain at ranged or running EE's a lot where it's a good idea to stay at ranged I think that 10k stars is a necessity to smooth out the dips in damage when MS is on cooldown.
    Not only is 6 monk STILL the best for an archery split, Turbine in their infinite wisdom, made it so that minimum 6 monk is also best for melee as well. Earth stance is simply that powerful, and water stance can be used to push wis over 40 for that 4th arrow chance when using 10k stars.

Rangers are solid on their own for future proofing, and its a true hybrid, as it should be.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by riskyraines View Post
    My guildmate redwedding invented the FURYSHOT build. This mix works ranged or melee and you can remained centered with your choice of melee weapons.
    That's quite an outrageous claim, did he also invent the question mark?

I think 30 people "invented" the furyshot build at the same time, they just kept quiet about it in case it wasn't WAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post

+1
    TKSK - Thelanis ("Best Server" -NyTimes).

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    ...As for banishing and smiting, keep in mind that the enhancement only adds damage on the 20 roll. The bows add bane damage as well, and the improved varieties up the hp requirements for an outright kill.
    Banish & smite do stack, if u r using both.
    Which is nice.

problem lies in do u want to.
    there might b some mobs, cant think of them offhand, where it would b helpful.
    ie immunities to nearly every thing. rare. think bosses etc...

i m under influence that only one is more useful.
    better to arm the arrow, and use best bow of choice, depending @ level.
    MinII, LitII, MagII etc to Pinion.

@ higher levels, there r also new Improved versions of effects.
    Banish/Smit/Disrup & even Vorpal.
    thus, food/thought/debate.

=================================

cheers, Pwe, for updating this.

Community Member

It is so painfully obvious that you get so much more by going 6 monk/2 ranger/12 fighter.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyadra View Post
    It is so painfully obvious that you get so much more by going 6 monk/2 ranger/12 fighter.
    You also lose a lot. specifically arrows of slaying.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild View Post
    You also lose a lot. specifically arrows of slaying.
    Not if you choose Elf or Half Elf as a Race.

I'm not placing a value on it and saying that one is better or worse than the other, but alternatives do exist.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    Not if you choose Elf or Half Elf as a Race.

I'm not placing a value on it and saying that one is better or worse than the other, but alternatives do exist.
    Agreed but then you are talking a specific racial build not a general class build. And there are tradeoffs for that build including the 10AP essentially wasted in purchasing it: if you want the Kensai Psionic Strength boost, you have to give up Shadow Veil for instance; if you choose Elf, you forgo Human heal amp. I too am not advocating one build over another when the truth is that each player will place different values on the tradeoffs involved, which makes for a diversification of builds, which is all good.

Community Member

Default actually....

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The build youre talking about was posted long before your friend invented it. Fury shot is more than a year old now and has has 2 iterations.

My suggested class breakdown offers more in the skills dpt, is more new player friendly.
    actually it was my guildmate that posted that build smart guy

Community Member

Default nope wrong he invented that furyshot build.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    That's quite an outrageous claim, did he also invent the question mark?

I think 30 people "invented" the furyshot build at the same time, they just kept quiet about it in case it wasn't WAI.
    Before any of the enhancements dropped he had a 28th level furyshotter on lamania before anybody else. If you are the first to do something, usually that means you are also the catalyst. he is I saw with my own two eyes. Very first furyshotter on any server was my guildmate redwedding. don't believe me check youtube for his other builds. He also invented tha monk druid FOTM build proof on youtube since the video was posted before anybody else even fathomed the build. Stop thinking you know everything. Someone has to come up with these builds it just so happens its my guildmate doing it. If it weren't true and I were just spouting off wouldn't I TAKE CREDIT myself for the invention?

I'm just gonna ask nicely that the furyshot discussion get tabled for some other thread. Last thing I want is for this thread to get closed down for forum violations.

Please table it.

See? ^ Nicely.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    I'm just gonna ask nicely that the furyshot discussion get tabled for some other thread. Last thing I want is for this thread to get closed down for forum violations.

Please table it.

See? ^ Nicely.
    aww. gotta admit it is humorous though.

u guys do know i totally invented Elves right?
    and it was SO before last week!

Community Member

Default actually no you didnt....

Quote Originally Posted by Kawai View Post
    aww. gotta admit it is humorous though.

u guys do know i totally invented Elves right?
    and it was SO before last week!
    Actually it was Lord Dunasy that invented elves in modern literature. JRR tolken made them what people see them as today. I will correct my former statement. Redwedding, my guildmate, made the first Furyshotter with the new enhancements on lamania. He was the first to use the 8 fighter/6 monk/6 ranger FS under the new enhancement line. When I visit other servers I see a lot of these builds everywhere now and multiple threads about them. He was the very first person to plan and achieve the CURRENT furyshotter that has become so infamous. Therefore he was the inagurial FS on any server post UD19. I should not have chosen the word Invented because idiots would take it the wrong way. Its quite obvious the DEVELOPERS invented it. Stop being nitpicky about forum posts.

Community Member

While I agree that dex to damage is nice for leveling...str to damage way outperforms in epics. I have tried both and I was unpleasantly surprised that my crits just sucked with dex to damage. I personally believe an AA should be high str (mostly maxed) with enough points in dex to get combat archery (for at least a to hit benchmark if not monkcher) and high wisdom for monkcher. Rest into Con. AAs probably gain the most benefit from many past lives, completionist and tomes because it allows them to qualify for things easier. 16 starting dex with +5 tome = combat archery...15 str with 3 lvl ups and +5 tome = OC.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by SSFWEl View Post
    Can you detail how for a non caster toon? Would love to do that without slotting devotion on my Rogue. I got halcyon boots but that does not even stack (mostly) with devotion.
    My 12 Monk/6 Ranger/2 Druid AA has the following Positive Spell Power:

45 Increased Empathy
    30 Versatile Empathy
    75 Empower Heal Spell
    30 Implement (Arcane Archer)
    10 Soul Magic (Arcane Archer)
    10 Moonbow (Arcane Archer)
    65 Heal Skill
    10 Shintao
    ---
    275 Positive Spell Power when solo
    080 Potency/Halcyon Boots (when FoM is available from group/raid)
    ----
    355 Positive Spell Power in group/raid situations

I wear Epic Kundarak Delving Boots in situations where no other sources of FoM are available, which is a majority of time for me. 275 Positive Spell Power provides 110-130 per tick for Rejuv Cocoon with the 189% Healing Amp I have.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Which Favored Enemy feats?

A think a little expansion on the possibilities of Sneak Damage should be added, essentially through:

- Half-Elf as the base race, taking Rogue Dilletante for +3D6 Sneak
    - 8AP spent in DWS can give you another +3D6 Sneak Damage
    - 11AP Spent in DWS can also give the Sniper Shot for automatic ranged Bluffs
    - Slot a Seal of Avithoul (or similar item) for Improved Deception procs and +13 Sneak damage
    - Half-Elf and DWS Innate enhancements stack for increasing your PBS & Sneak Damage ranged distance
    - Half-Elf also allows you to take racial Arcane Archer, which means...
    - A light (1-2) splash of Monk will give you more sneak damage through Ninja Spy
    - And you can still grab the AA Capstone for the Doubleshot bonus

It's a potent recipe that I've been exploring to great sucess, and will also help augment your melee side when it's time to pull out the blades and start hacking.
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast