Default Amazing 48 hours for me as a new player!

Howdy yall,

I had such an amazing 2 days I wanted to share it and send our thank yous.

I have a limited experience with the game and it has been mainly solo experience. I asked on the boards two days ago for advice and i got an overwhelming response. I literally learned more in two days of reading replies to my post that i have in the past month. I also had a 4 hour seession with Ellis in game and learned alot of practical usage things..ie challenges, better ways to group, which spells to cast at which mobs, how to use cc/firewalls effectivley.

in short i wanted to thank all of you that helped, I know you all know this game back and front, but it was amazing how much information is not easily learned by yourself in this. All of you made it so much easier to digest and i actuially feel like i have a solid base of understanding that i can continue to build upon.

Thank you
    Droid327 (stacking isnt very obvious when your new)
    kuro zero
    Jingwei (thank you for the core targets i should shoot for)
    Iriale (excellent list of effects to aim for by slot)
    ellisdee (grreat advice and amazing help in game)
    reaperalexfu (loved the post ..coincidentaly I learned i have 200% fort currently and can trap elite quests)
    katz (redid my enhancements to include sla damages..thank you so much)
    bsquishwizzy (excellent advice about the AH although i still dont get how to make plat)
    Mindcakes

Very nice I love it when new players come in and enjoy the game I love as well. Before I started playing DDO over 7+ years ago I played several MMO's and other various PC and Xbox games. I liked various things about each of the games I played but when I started playing DDO I stopped playing all other games for 7+ years now. in my opinion there is nothing out there that comes even a close second to DDO and as long as DDO stays based on D&D lore and ideas the game will never have any competition.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Faith in Humanity restored to 68%.
    Faith in DDO community restored to 75%.

I believe it's either time for a high-five, or It's time to wake up.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Last edited by Silverleafeon; 09-07-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Community Manager

This is great to hear. Glad you're having fun, and welcome to DDO!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Welcome to DDO! Glad you are having fun.

And props to the folks looking out for our newer players

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Glad to hear you were treated like you should be hope you stick around

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

A private lesson from Ellis! Lucky you I had one a few weeks ago, and he's VERY high in my esteem!

I take it from that you are on Argo - if so, feel free to look me up anytime you like if you need help with anything. I mainly play my character Obajan.

And welcome to DDO!

Aes.

It was fun!

Gonna eat now, will be back in game in an hour or so, maybe less.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

cool! i got thanked for something

glad you havin fun!

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Community Member

Great that you're enjoying the game.
    And it's good to see a positive post for a change.

Default Awesome!

Glad to see you having a great time!

There is SO much for you to explore ahead of you. If you enjoyed the first 48 hours, you won't be disappointed as you progress through the game!

PUGs can be a lot of fun also, they just require a dash of patience and tolerance and a willingness to adapt to those around you since every group is different. There may be the occasional jerk, but in my experience those folks are the exception rather than the rule.

Static groups are a fun way to experience a particular class you might not feel comfortable soloing with, as well as the fellowship and camaraderie of a group. They also allow you the freedom to tool around on another character when not questing with your regular comrades. Guilds can be a good source for this as well.

Good luck and no matter what, keep having fun!

Community Member

thanks for the thanks post

this game doesn't quite have the learning curve eve does but it's not far off! while this makes it hard for newbies just getting started as you've already seen it does make for very rewarding gameplay.

you often see vets of other MMO's say that they stay in the game because of the community they are in long after the game has lost it's fun. in DDO you often see disgruntled vets returning because they just can't find any game that competes with DDO's gameplay! it might be niche and it might be complicated but it sure is fun!

after all my years of mario games then FPS's the combat style in DDO feels natural and immersive for me.

once i had learnt DDO the ability for me to save a PUG from a wipe was also a big hook. can't get much closer to feeling like the hero than when you've saved your team mates from certain death! DDO really does let you do that once you've got to grips with it as player skill can make a massive difference.

i've seen raids completed when the only healer disconnected, stuff like that can make for the best gaming moments. sure it's fun when things go to plan, but when you wind up out of your comfort zone and you feel like you're actually fighting for your life, that's when DDO shows its true colours.

so welcome to the game, there is a ton to learn (and even 7 years down the line i'm still learning!) but it's well worth it
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Someone new and not jaded! Yay!

Made me think of my first time in Osgood's Basement...
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Welcome!
    I hope you continue to have fun, and just remember what George Carlin once said: Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

yay! havn't seen pics from Memnir in a while!

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

but I like the sweaty things!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heathir View Post
    bsquishwizzy (excellent advice about the AH although i still dont get how to make plat)

When I say “make plat” I basically mean farming for gold pieces and platinum pieces (I mean, when you get right down to it the main standard of currency is platinum).

There are lots of ways to make platinum in this game. If you just offload stuff onto the vendors in this game, you’re not going to get very far. So, what you need to do is sell just about as much as you can, when you get your hands on it, and for as much money as possible.

If you stick with vendors, your best bet is the pawn brokers (down by the place where you get the Chronoscope quest) as they play better on average than you will any of the vendors. You best bet is to pick up a decent haggle item and see if you can eek out better process, or maybe even invest in a decent haggle skill. I really don’t recommend this though as skill points in many builds are at a premium.

Selling stuff to a vendor is DDO’s version of minimum payments on credit cards. Yeah, you can make the minimum payment, and they card will be paid off 100 years from now. The same principle applies to vendors and what they’ll offer for the stuff you have in your inventory…

However, the AH is a different matter. Your best bet is to put whatever you can on the AH, whenever you can, and put it there for the maximum amount of time. Always set a buyout price for the item, and make sure your minimum price is some 30% greater than what you could get selling it at a vendor. I’d also set the buyout price to a price slightly below the item’s value displayed when you examine it. There are exceptions to this rule, however:

1) Tomes – if you put a skill or stat tome on the AH for its estimated value, you’re losing probably ten-times that amount in what people will pay for it.
    2) Bound to Character on Equip items you should always have a buyout limit that is greater than the “actual” value because they are nice items to have.
    3) Epic Scrolls – these went for lots of money before. You might want to check it out if you ever get one.
    4) Armor, equipment, and weapons with augments – while these have been greatly devalued as of late, they still go quickly on the AH. Price these up as well.
    5) Collectables – lightning-split soarwood, powdered blood, glittering dust, deadly feverblanch are all fairly rare items, and in relatively high demand with crafters. They may look worthless to you…but they are not. If you are not interested in crafting, sell these.
    6) Silver, adamantine, cold iron weapons – a lot of crafters make specialty beaters with these. They are valuable on the AH. Price them up accordingly.
    7) Smiters, disruptors, vorpals, paralyzers – these weapons are still highly sought after. Take what you like for your toon, and sell these at elevated prices.

If you can’t unload some items on the AH, another possibility is to break them down into lesser and greater crafting essences, and put THOSE on the AH. Plus, you’ll get some platinum for breaking them down.

The other thing is that if you a breaking every barrel, crate, and whatever make sure you collect what drops from them. Sell whatever gems you collect whenever you can. And again – hit some of those platinum-heavy quests I mentioned.

The higher level you go in quests, the more platinum you will make.

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    yay! havn't seen pics from Memnir in a while!
    In that case, have another. A bonus, if you will...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Faith in Humanity restored to 68%.
    Faith in DDO community restored to 75%.
    Does that not suggest that 7% of the DDO community are not human?
    Or is the equation more complex than that? If so I'm sure one of our ~7% Warforged can run it for us pretty quick