Default Anyone play with the Warchanter cold line?

Anyone?

Several of them seem to only work when someone is yamming cold spells at you - and that's unpredictable, and thus, lame.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

To me it doesn't seems that you need cold damage so much. Here is what I understood:
    - Gathering Cold: toggle, while it's active you've a chance to gain Armor of Frost on frost damage taken
    - Iced Edge: it activates if you score a critical while Gathering Cold and under Skaldic Rage. Armor of Frost is not related to its mechanic
    - The Frozen Fury has no requirements
    - Northwind: like Iced Edge, but on vorpal
    - Howl of the North: it only requires you to be under Skaldic Rage

So, only gathering cold requires frost damage.

Some additional thoughts:
    - The Frozen Fury seems to have very bad DC, for a STR build it's not worth the cost (maybe it's not worth anyway)
    - Northwind provides a very negligible increase in damage output, I would take only first rank to qualify for HotN
    - Since for Iced Edge and Northwind you only need to have Gathering Cold active, and there are no relations with Armor of Frost, I would take only first rank, qualifying for everything I need

Quote Originally Posted by mezzorco View Post
    To me it doesn't seems that you need cold damage so much. Here is what I understood:
    - Gathering Cold: toggle, while it's active you've a chance to gain Armor of Frost on frost damage taken
    - Iced Edge: it activates if you score a critical while Gathering Cold and under Skaldic Rage. Armor of Frost is not related to its mechanic
    - The Frozen Fury has no requirements
    - Northwind: like Iced Edge, but on vorpal
    - Howl of the North: it only requires you to be under Skaldic Rage

So, only gathering cold requires frost damage.

Some additional thoughts:
    - The Frozen Fury seems to have very bad DC, for a STR build it's not worth the cost (maybe it's not worth anyway)
    - Northwind provides a very negligible increase in damage output, I would take only first rank to qualify for HotN
    - Since for Iced Edge and Northwind you only need to have Gathering Cold active, and there are no relations with Armor of Frost, I would take only first rank, qualifying for everything I need
    Yeah, that's the same sort of conclusion I reach (generally) ... and then avoid them all. Though, the crit bonus is nice - just a pain to have to toss so many points away.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Yeah, that's the same sort of conclusion I reach (generally) ... and then avoid them all. Though, the crit bonus is nice - just a pain to have to toss so many points away.
    So many points?

gathering cold - 1 AP
    iced edges - 2 AP
    northwind - 2 AP
    howl of north - 2 AP

TOTAL: 7 AP

Doing so you gain:
    - 1 cold resistance <-- nearly useless
    - 1d6 cold damage almost each hit (assuming dual wielding scimitars/rapiers) <-- GOOD
    - 2d8 cold damage on vorpal <-- it has its use
    - +1 crit multiplier on 19-20 <-- GOOD

I think it's worth investing in cold line, though just rank 1 gathering.
    -