Default Watchful Eye uses spot- WAI?

With some testing (in VoN5), I found out that the Watchful Eye feat isn't using the Search skill (as its description is implying), but rather the spot skill to insta-search the boxes.

Is this working as intended?
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

uses spot according to wiki
    *Disclaimer: All statements are generalized without boging down in minutia. Assuming that there are ALWAYS exceptions that test the rule, variations, and un-stated details may be omitted for brevity. These can be assumed to be understood; without bloating my posts with preemptive coverass. [*] Seal[*] Scroll[*] Shard[*] Base Item - eSoS >200 runs

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    uses spot according to wiki
    Yes, the note that it uses Spot was done by me.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Community Member

Classic!

Community Member

Default geez

This really screws up the support build im leveling, wai? Fiik

Edit: so instead of using int the handiest new thing for trapping uses wisdom mod, genius, lol.
    Last edited by 01000010; 09-07-2013 at 11:50 PM.

So theoretically you could max spot and drop search entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by Engar1 View Post
    if you don't plan on trapping at all until you get the feat, yah, sure
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    if you don't plan on trapping at all until you get the feat, yah, sure
    Or you LR?

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Does this work the same for Nothing is Hidden?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    Does this work the same for Nothing is Hidden?
    Sort of,if you have a low spot then you have to be closer to the box to have it pop.

I always have a high spot because Im mainly ranged,but with nothing is hidden,I spot tarp boxes from very far way and through walls. This is really good so the boxes pop for other members of the party.They can see the box if they are paying attention.

SO what happens is my spot actually sees the box and search will pop it if high enough.

This is really only a problem if you just splash a class to get trapping skills.

You still need a high search to actually pop the box. Low spot just means you need to be closer to the box for it to pop automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuda13 View Post
    You still need a high search to actually pop the box. Low spot just means you need to be closer to the box for it to pop automatically.
    I never tried the ability... yet. So does the box "pop", meaning become visible, but not allow interactions like disable until you also search? That seems unlikely, but like I said, never tried it yet. If it "pops" and is fully useable from Watchful Eye (which uses spot not search), then search becomes a dump skill once you have it.

I am referring to "Watchful Eye" not "Nothing is Hidden". It appears the mechanics are different for each. Watchful uses spot to detect *and* "pop" the box. Nothing uses search to "pop" the box while spot determines only the range.
    Last edited by Engar1; 10-21-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

I never tried the ability... yet. So does the box "pop", meaning become visible, but not allow interactions like disable until you also search? That seems unlikely, but like I said, never tried it yet. If it "pops" and is fully useable from Watchful Eye (which uses spot not search), then search becomes a dump skill once you have it.

I am referring to "Watchful Eye" not "Nothing is Hidden". It appears the mechanics are different for each. Watchful uses spot to detect *and* "pop" the box. Nothing uses search to "pop" the box while spot determines only the range.

No, (my experience is with Nothing is Hidden), the spot and search happens automatically in the background and the box "pops" and you can now disarm it, well, you can if you have the skill.

Because you're not actually stopping to search, the indicator that points you to the panel is something you really have to watch for carefully if you don't already know where the panel is.

Where this really shines is in situations like in House C (and Master Artificer), where the guns pop out, you're under attack and searches are often interrupted. If your skill is high enough, it just "pops."

Trapping while under fire has always been difficult, and this really makes it much easier.

It's also great when running your favor quests. You can farm favor and trap parts. (I've recently fallen in love with Grease traps and my Cannith Stone boots, it's so much easier to pad my kills when the rest of the party is sliding away from the mobs, and then there's the part where I warn ahead of time, "mind the grease" and I get confused "??s")