Community Member ShotByBothSides's Avatar

Default Launcer always wants to install C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package

I have recently had to reinstall DDO from scratch on a reformatted drive.
    Now the launcher is asking for C++ 2005 SP1 to be installed every time I start DDO, surely that is not right?
    It is a mild problem, but a little irritating, so any help much appreciated.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShotByBothSides View Post
    I have recently had to reinstall DDO from scratch on a reformatted drive.
    Now the launcher is asking for C++ 2005 SP1 to be installed every time I start DDO, surely that is not right?
    It is a mild problem, but a little irritating, so any help much appreciated.
    Got same problem and its really annoying. Also launcher downloading 30 screens every single time im launching it.
    Anyone knows any solutions for that ??

Some good advice was posted here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...edistributable

Manually install the VC++ 2K5 Redistributable from Microsoft. That won't make the game quit checking installation status, but it does allow it to perform the check much faster.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Manually install the VC++ 2K5 Redistributable from Microsoft. That won't make the game quit checking installation status, but it does allow it to perform the check much faster.
    Thanks. Manual instalation helped for C++ redistributable but screens still downloading :/
    Not a native english speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicania View Post
    Got same problem and its really annoying. Also launcher downloading 30 screens every single time im launching it.
    Anyone knows any solutions for that ??
    As a workaround, you can go into the program files directory and set the files in the language folders that you don't care about (say FR and DE if you use are English Speaking) to READONLY. For me, that at least stopped downloading the splash screens for the languages that don't matter to me. You can do that for english also, if you don't care about the new splash screens.

EDIT: Im at work so I can't get the exact directory path, but its pretty easy to spot. I believe it was in the (X86) version of program files.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    As a workaround, you can go into the program files directory and set the files in the language folders that you don't care about (say FR and DE if you use are English Speaking) to READONLY. For me, that at least stopped downloading the splash screens for the languages that don't matter to me. You can do that for english also, if you don't care about the new splash screens.

EDIT: Im at work so I can't get the exact directory path, but its pretty easy to spot. I believe it was in the (X86) version of program files.
    Mine is in game folder on diffrent partition But most important it works! Launcher spits in background "Failed to clear old version of [raw\en\logo\ddo_module_splash.jpg], unable to update!" etc but its not a big deal becouse it skips after that on any downloading. Thanks.
    Not a native english speaker.

Community Member ShotByBothSides's Avatar

Thank you all for the help, the problem has now gone away.

I have also started to use the DDOpreloader, and it really does speed up loading too, so try that if your initial load time is a pain.