Community Member

Default Turbine launcher has stopped working.

I can't get the launcher to open. I get a window that says it's stopped working and will close. I tried re-installing the game but it didn't help. I have closed virus and firewalls with same result. I have used the Task Manager to restart that didn't work either. I've been playing with no problems like this since 12/2012. This started 6/7/2013. I had been on party loot quests in Jorasco the day before. I have Windows 7. I submitted a ticket to support and didn't get a reply in my email yesterday (yes I checked the spam folder) so I re-submitted today and still don't have a reply or ticket number. My account is VIP, I have visited the Wheloon docks but not done quests there because I don't want to pay extra. I have quested in Eveningstar. This is truly aggravating.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default What is the date of Turbineinvoker.exe?

If you have TurbineInvoker.exe from 5/30/2013. Copy in a Turbineinvoker from /backup directory.

I can guarantee that Turbineinvoker.exe from December 2012 works fine.

An old trick to re-register with Turbine is to click on Turbineregistergdf.exe. This takes about one second of CPU clock time.

Another trick, try to flush your DNS. To flush DNS use the command prompt and type

ipconfig /flushdns
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

Moomoo,
    Thanks for the tips. I will try it. I have become a puter tard ever since MS Vista because I gave up trying to learn the changes right about then. I don't know if I have the old invoker or not because I of the re-install but it won't hurt to try.

Community Member

No longer have the turbine invoker. I must have lost in the reinstall. I flushed the DNS successfully but now I can't even find a loaded version of DDO on my computer, only the set up so I guess I get to back to reinstall land. I'm afraid to mess with the account re-register cuz I don't want to lose my hard earned toons. Thanks for trying to help.

Community Member

It dies when it gets to "opening main form."

Turbineregistergdf.exe does not wipe out your account. Do not fear this at all. All of us old timers had to do this a lot back in the day, and if our characters would have been wiped many of us would have left long before now.

All Turbineregistergdf.exe does is tell Turbine to reset your account to be able to login and recognize that you are a valid account. At least that is what it used to do. It is still called when you boot up this latest version of DDO, so it probably still does the same thing. It is like logging into myaccount.turbine.com and changing your password. Your game characters and loot are fine, just your password has changed.

Your characters and loot will be completely unharmed.

Default Do you have STEAM on your machine?

I do not have steam on my machine, so I dont have to worry about this. But there is a problem with STEAM and this new version not liking each other through the firewall. You might have to enable STEAM through your firewall.

Check to see if your firewall is allowing Steam and the Awesomiumprocess.exe to run.

For Steam installs, navigate to 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common' and then look for the game folder instead

If you see Program Files (x86) listed, click that instead
    Scroll through the list until you find AwesomiumProcess.exe, highlight it, and select Open or Accept

Or, maybe just check your firewall for something funny.

Also, another poster had edited his hosts file and caused himself problems. Have you played with that file lately?

IN this technical assistance directory are many other threads on this issue. Most of them since May 30, 2013. I would read through them and see if anything works.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 06-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Community Member

First I want to say, Moomoo I appreciate your trying to help me because nobody else is right now. Two trouble tickets later and nada from tech support.

I downloaded directly from ddo and didn't use STEAM and I never mess around with the files because I have long since given up fooling with code or anything like it unless I'm forced. I use Zone Alarm and it's not compatible with DDO so I have to use game mode when I play otherwise it won't connect to the server.

I went to the file and tried everything including Turbineregistergdf.exe. that you suggested in the first post. I just wish I hadn't re-stalled, because my software is now the current date and not the old one. If I lost my hard earned toons, I too would go away forever after I went on a murderous rampage of course. I couldn't take the pain of starting from scratch.

If anyone from Turbine contacts me and resolves the issue, I'll post it here for others having these kinds of problems.

Just as an aside, I have LOTRO installed as well though I haven't played it in a long time and the launcher dies on it as well which I guess makes sense that it should. :\

Community Member

A friend of mine suggested that I look into Internet Explorer and I believe this might be the right track. IE "upgraded" to IE 10 on the same day my game stopped working. Unfortunately I've been blocked on my own computer from removing 10 and reinstalling 9. I guess that will be something else to figure out. Anyway, while I was on the Windows site, I updated my mouse, graphics card driver and optional upgrades to Win 7. This helped. I was able to almost get to the log on screen which is further than I've been able to go. Now I'm getting an enormous error message that tells me to contact technical support with the information. (So far not a word from Turbine, btw) If I could figure out how to paste my screen grab here, I would post it.

Community Member

IE 10 off, IE 9 back on and I'm still getting the huge error message. Going to try to re-install DDO once more and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Inojajo View Post
    IE 10 off, IE 9 back on and I'm still getting the huge error message. Going to try to re-install DDO once more and see if that helps.
    What is the huge error message?

I suspect that one of the recent updates you've installed has re-jiggered one of the support libraries upon which DDO relies. Having the text of that message might reveal the nature of the problem.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    What is the huge error message?

I suspect that one of the recent updates you've installed has re-jiggered one of the support libraries upon which DDO relies. Having the text of that message might reveal the nature of the problem.
    The only way I see to save that message is with my snip tool and I don't seem to be able to post that here.

PS~ Reinstalling DDO didn't help.
    Last edited by Inojajo; 06-11-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Community Member

Hum... That exception is only supposed to happen in web or SOAP-enabled apps on the server side. However, I suppose it could be a local permissions issue if you've installed IIS for some reason. This one is tricky...

Super-easy fix: Run DDO as an Administrator. That *might* work if the permissions aren't too hosed and no other factors are at play. You can also try temporarily disabling UAC.

Easy fix: Perform a System Restore to roll back the last changes made to your OS. Something that got updated caused this problem. Putting everything back to where it was might fix it.

A relatively simple fix: Repair your dotNet installation. That link will take you to the Microsoft page that describes the process.

An involved, highly speculative fix: If you've installed IIS (it's Microsoft's Web Server) on your computer for some reason, it locks down local dotNet binaries to prevent unauthorized execution via web services. This article describes the problem and offers suggested fixes. It's a fairly technical procedure and requires a working knowledge of several Microsoft management tools and concepts.

The nuclear option: Reinstall the OS. It's painful, offers no hope of recovering anything not backed-up and takes many, many hours including the reinstallations of applications and data. It will probably (>99.9%) fix your issue.

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance, but this is a weird problem to occur on a client box. I wish you the best of luck.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Thank you very much for trying to help. I appreciate it a lot. I've tried running as admin but I'll try it again. In fact I'll try probably all of it except the nuclear option. I fear that route. ;) I'll post how it goes. :)

Community Member

Default The fix that worked

After 5 days I'm back in. I want to thank my friends and forum members who spent their game time to help me. I truly appreciate it.

I restored IE 9. Restart. Re-install DDO. Restart. Run as admin.

Wait about an hour for all the updates you missed and play the game. If you have a new issue, try ditching the newest IE 10. I didn't even think of it because I don't use IE as my browser, but DDO sure does.

Quote Originally Posted by Inojajo View Post
    After 5 days I'm back in. I want to thank my friends and forum members who spent their game time to help me. I truly appreciate it.

I restored IE 9. Restart. Re-install DDO. Restart. Run as admin.

Wait about an hour for all the updates you missed and play the game. If you have a new issue, try ditching the newest IE 10. I didn't even think of it because I don't use IE as my browser, but DDO sure does.
    Wonderful news and welcome back!

I'd really like to know what the underlying cause of this issue may be if only to advise others in future. Strange indeed. Still, I'm glad you were able to sort it all out.

Community Member

Thank you for the welcome. :)

I tried the first three you suggested and chickened out on the last two. A guildmate of mine looked at a screen grab and compared it to his and he noticed I was running 10, not 9 (silly me I thought I had turned automatic updates off :p) Restoring to 9 didn't work until I restarted & reinstalled DDO & restarted again. The first thing I did after the restore was try to run the game but it didn't work. So don't wait to restart because you think it's time saving.

I'm just glad I can get back to playing instead of crying and gnawing my monitor. ;)

Community Member

I am having this issue but I am unable to install IE 9. It says it is already installed but it is not I have never had it on my computer. Can anyone help me with this?