Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Are GreenSteel weapons still worth the grind for TR's

With the latest weapon damage pass, and the paragon system in effect giving the extra damage, are greensteel weapons still worth the time and energy to grind out?

I'm only referring to the weapons here... as far as I'm concerned, the items are still good to go.

It seems to me that I've been pulling some decent ML 8-10 paragons over the past couple of weeks, and at first glance, I'd say the random items have a chance to be comparable if you're willing to truck around the extra "mob-specific" weapons.

I'd be happy to keep my ingredients for HP/SP/exceptional GS items only, but not at the cost of all the other TR's laughing at me when I pull my sword out.

if you are willing to invest the time to make GS weapons, than I still would. I saw a noticeable increase in damage when I leveled to 12 and switched from these new weapons to GS. cant give the math on it, just that I know my dps was much better, plus with the extra weapon effect damage.

Holy/Shock burst/Shock blast Lit II still has a decent damage output...
    However, lootgen Vorpal seems more and more tempting on trash (as least as far as TWF is concerned)

Of course, min II still has a use for chars without IC: [weapon]

Quote Originally Posted by RumpleHorril View Post
    With the latest weapon damage pass, and the paragon system in effect giving the extra damage, are greensteel weapons still worth the time and energy to grind out?

I'm only referring to the weapons here... as far as I'm concerned, the items are still good to go.

It seems to me that I've been pulling some decent ML 8-10 paragons over the past couple of weeks, and at first glance, I'd say the random items have a chance to be comparable if you're willing to truck around the extra "mob-specific" weapons.

I'd be happy to keep my ingredients for HP/SP/exceptional GS items only, but not at the cost of all the other TR's laughing at me when I pull my sword out.
    LitII still rules the roost at level 12 afaik. Is it worth it ? That is up to you.

I will say any toon with the ability to expand crit ranges like acrobats MinII is looking pretty appealing since the class bonus gets added before the keen. I am seriously considering a MinII for my acrobat b4 I tR her. Difficulties finding DR breaking sticks adds a bit more urgency than normal.

I'll probably wait an update or two to make sure the expanded range stacking before keen is WAI before committing all those larges. Heck I still have to farm most of them anyway.

Community Member

Just did an acrobat TR with no greensteel. The DPS difference between having a Lit/Rad/Min II and a 3xPos or lootgen for a TR is huge and it made soloing elites painfully slow. If you have the mats and plan on doing a few melee TRs I'd still craft some.
    Last edited by Ayseifn; 09-06-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Thumbs up Raise GS +W??

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Holy/Shock burst/Shock blast Lit II still has a decent damage output...
    However, lootgen Vorpal seems more and more tempting on trash (as least as far as TWF is concerned)

Of course, min II still has a use for chars without IC: [weapon]
    That's what I'm getting at...

GS is unquestionably good... definitely at lvl 12-15... but after lvl 16 I'm thinking the random gen items have basically caught up to them. Or if not caught up completely... caught up enough. 5 minutes on the auction house looking for what I need vs 20'ish hours grinding Shrouds for the ingredients.

Which seems a bit of a shame really... The GS crafting system (while a bit grindy for larges) was pretty decent. The Raid was entertaining, ran often enough to be able to find a group, and the crafting system was flexible enough to be useful at a huge level range.

(cough.. Devs... cough)... Might be worth thinking about raising the GS +W up a bit as well...

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Radiance II is still unique (in the entire game on most weapon types now, but at least for a very long time on the few weapon types with named versions that do include it) and awesome for any build with sneak attack.

Apart from that I think it depends on your toon/life.

If you are doing A LOT of damage, augmenting it further with a lit II might be faster than disruptors/vorps/banishers/smiters in most content.

If you are only 'sort of alright' in the dps department then insta-kill weapons will probably be a superior option.

TL;DR depends, I can still see a lot of value in Radiance II, Lit II, Triple Pos, and Min II. And obviously Ooze because Ooze.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by RumpleHorril View Post

The fact that there are no features like 'Lightning Strike' on Weapons any more in high lvl. content (at least I didn't get any weapon with such a feature) makes those weapons more attractive. I think Lit2 is still nice., for example.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

THF cleaving: Cloudburst is king now for heroic. (If you do not believe me, try it, the AoE proc is insane now). Sword of Shadow #2, Lit 2 #3.
    THF without cleaves: Reroll
    TWF: Don't think anything approaches greensteel until level 18 or so, and Radiance 2 can't be beaten if you build around it. The bad scimitar that has the Cloudburst proc on it might be worth trying because that proc is so insane in heroic content where ~150 AOE damage actually matters.
    DC casting: 9 Int/Wis/Cha sticks can't be beaten at all, and for a Wizard they can have an on-hit enervation proc too if you ever swing them
    Damage casting: Greensteel offers little, the +9 stat stick is probably still worth using but may not be best in slot.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    The fact that there are no features like 'Lightning Strike' on Weapons any more in high lvl. content (at least I didn't get any weapon with such a feature) makes those weapons more attractive. I think Lit2 is still nice., for example.
    Yeah there's the 'cool' factor in seeing a huge lightning bolt come down and blow something up. But in terms of raw damage performance, the Lit 2 proc is better than 'Flaming III' and weaker than 'Flaming IV'.

Default posotive 3

i see may pos3 mauls and warhammers being used in FOT wich, even though there was an expansion, still the highest lv raid out there. (yes, a lv 8~12 weapon is still the best thing to use in a lv 25 raid, gj guys XD)

The fact that you can build your own item over hoping that the loot gods will smille upon thee might convince vets to guild run shroud and get all they shards they need like that. lots of vets ran the shroud 4 times a week and have a surplus of mats by now.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Yeah there's the 'cool' factor in seeing a huge lightning bolt come down and blow something up. But in terms of raw damage performance, the Lit 2 proc is better than 'Flaming III' and weaker than 'Flaming IV'.
    I am not talking about coolness factor. The Lit2 is again a nice weapon for low STR toons. And still a good TR twink item. The uniqe features may be worth a try again, since there are only Ghostbane, Improved Vorpal and such and [Elemental] type features. Oh and the awesomest and bestamest features ever: Riposte and Rapid Strikes..... that is so.... ********.

And then there is the unbeaten Pos3 weapon. Any random gen. weapon stinks compared to Pos3, even the Challenges weapons are worse.

Pos3 is still universal and valid in endgame. Be it a Will-O beater or just undead beater.
    Characters on Orien:

GS is doomed if what people are saying is true about random loot catching up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    I am not talking about coolness factor. The Lit2 is again a nice weapon for low STR toons. And still a good TR twink item. The uniqe features may be worth a try again, since there are only Ghostbane, Improved Vorpal and such and [Elemental] type features. Oh and the awesomest and bestamest features ever: Riposte and Rapid Strikes..... that is so.... ********.

And then there is the unbeaten Pos3 weapon. Any random gen. weapon stinks compared to Pos3, even the Challenges weapons are worse.

Pos3 is still universal and valid in endgame. Be it a Will-O beater or just undead beater.
    Agreed on +++, if it has been displaced from best in slot status, it isn't displaced by much even by ML 28 stuff.

Cloudburst just outclasses Lit 2 against packs of mobs, however (singe target Lit 2 is ahead, but once that AoE proc starts hitting 4 mobs for 150 damage each...) and it is arguably easier to get as it comes from a raid that is more easily run solo or very shortmanned.

On TWF toons, greensteel is still best unless that scimitar with the cloudburst proc is any good (can't even remember its name).

Cloudburst just outclasses Lit 2 against packs of mobs, however (singe target Lit 2 is ahead, but once that AoE proc starts hitting 4 mobs for 150 damage each...) and it is arguably easier to get as it comes from a raid that is more easily run solo or very shortmanned.
    In that case the answer is within the droprate of shards for according tiers compared to droprate of raid loot.

Shards can be farmed without running Shroud, if I am not mistaken, so greensteel has the higher reliability compared to specific named items. But well, whatever comes first, Lit2 is not the only special weapon feature.

It is worth grinding for it, in my opinion. Add the coolness of a Lightning and you don't wanna have any other stuff ;P.
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 09-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Characters on Orien:

I generally create a +++ for any melee character for a TR. And truly enjoy my centered Cloudburst right now as I cleave.

I have two mid-teen cleaving TRs right now - one has a Cloudburst, the other doesn't. Instead, he usually swings a +++ or a Shining Devastation (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Shining_Devastation)

BTW, the scimitar is http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Fang_of_Siberys. I've got a character who's closing in on using them.

I'd be tempted to look at Deathnip, Phosphor and Coronation too instead of GS. They come online at 12 and are much easier to farm/build. Pity the slashing options there aren't as hot. I'm honestly considering two Khopeshes of Water as well, slotting w/ Holy. So much faster to make in real-time than a pair of GS.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

I don't see Supreme Shards very often outside of Shroud.

I tend to run a bunch of DA. The few I've seen there have come on Normal (not H or E).

I don't care what anyone says, ooze2 is still the king. Always has been, always will be. Just wish they would give us something similar on weapons at higher levels.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, ooze2 is still the king. Always has been, always will be. Just wish they would give us something similar on weapons at higher levels.
    Heh. Well Ooze2 and Vac2 are both *fun*, that's for sure ;-)

Triple positive is still decent on undead. You can also make raise clickies.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast