Community Member

Default Having some difficulty grasping how the cannith challenge items are acquired

So, right now I am a level 10 artificer. I'd like to get the Ring of the Master Artificer. I look at its wiki entry and I see various items needed to create it, with 3 different tiers. Can I just skip tiers 1 and 2 and create the tier 3 version? Can I upgrade it as a level up and can wear higher versions? How time consuming is it to acquire? Any help is appreciated!

You run the different challenges associated with the ingredients needed. How long it takes depends entirely on how well you do in the challenges. Most people who have learned to do challenges well will tell you it doesn't take very long, especially around the level you are.

You have to get the tier 1 version of an item first. You then have the option to either upgrade that version to tier 2 or tier 3, or to upgrade it to the next version with a minimum level 4 levels higher. For the most part, i would advise not upgrading to tier 3 unless it is an epic item. It will bind the item to character and basically finish it. In some cases upgrading to tier 2 is worthwhile.

Upgrading to the next level range only costs half as many ingredients as making a new item, or increasing tiers. This is what i usually do, since if it turns out i need the lower level version again it is easy enough to make one.

Community Member

Each level of Canith Challenge Gear is separate.

It basically works like this.

Lets say you wanted to make the Level 12 Ring of the Master Artificer.

You need to farm:

400 Enchanted Armour Fragments from Extraplanar Mining: The Dragon's Hoard
    400 Illuminated Manuscripts from Dr. Rushmore's Mansion: Moving Targets
    400 Antique Coins from Dr. Rushmore's Mansion: Behind The Door

Trade those in and you will get the base Tier 1 Ring of the Master Artificer Level 12, the item is Bound to Account.

To upgrade it you need to farm:

400 Arcanoloth Scrolls from Extraplanar Mining: Labour Shortage
    400 Orthon Metal Scraps from Kobold Island: Short Cuts
    400 Enchanted Armour Fragments from Extraplanar Mining: The Dragon's Hoard

Trade those in with the Tier 1 item and you will receive the Tier 2 Ring of the Master Artificer Level 12, the item is Bound to Account.

Repeat the last steps for Tier 3 if desired, however be aware that the Tier 3 item is Bound to Character.

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

You can...

Make one at each level (i.e. have one for level 4, make a new one at level 8, new at level 12). People do this if they want to have one of each level in the bank for when they TR. If you did this, you would have 5 rings, a level 4, level 8, a level 12, a level 16 and the level 20 one.

or

Start with the lowest minimum level one (I think it's level 4), and just keep upgrading the same base ring to levels 8, 12, and so on. If you did this, you would start with one ring at level 4, and end up upgrading it until you got the level 20 version.

In addition, each "level" of ring has 3 upgrades within the level. For instance....

Level 20 (Tier 1) Ring of Master Artifice has...
    Reconstruct, Archmagi, Reconstruction +90, and Greater Auto-Repair

Take that level 20 version, and you can upgrade it to second tier to get...
    Reconstruct, Archmagi, Reconstruction +90, and Greater Auto-Repair, PLUS a Colorless Augment slot.

That same ring (still level 20) can get one more tier of effects for...
    Reconstruct, Archmagi, Reconstruction +90, and Greater Auto-Repair, PLUS a Colorless Augment slot, PLUS a Yellow Augment Slot.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Community Member

This has been some great information. One final question: if I upgrade it to tiers, say tier 2 or 3, can I still bump it up (say from level 8 version to level 12 version) without any problems? I'm assuming people don't do the tier upgrades in the lower level versions because these are lost if it's upgraded?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsjr1 View Post
    This has been some great information. One final question: if I upgrade it to tiers, say tier 2 or 3, can I still bump it up (say from level 8 version to level 12 version) without any problems? I'm assuming people don't do the tier upgrades in the lower level versions because these are lost if it's upgraded?
    Short answer: Don't do it. Just don't.

Upgrading an item from say Level 8 to Level 12 requires a Tier Three Level 8 Item and creates a Tier 1 Level 12 Item.

By upgrading that way you essentially flush all of the ingredients you used to make it Tier Three down the toilet.

Just make it Tier 2 and you can pass it to alts when you out-level them.

It used to be an interesting choice in that at Tier Three the Level 8 to 16 versions gain Craftable +3 on them so you could add Masterful Craftsmanship (Canith Crafting) to them and lower the level by 2.

Turbine broke this function when Shadowfell was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post

It used to be an interesting choice in that at Tier Three the Level 8 to 16 versions gain Craftable +3 on them so you could add Masterful Craftsmanship (Canith Crafting) to them and lower the level by 2.

Turbine broke this function when Shadowfell was released.
    For level 8,12 and 16, the big advantage of tier 3 is to have Craftable +2 or +3

Even if Masterful Crafmanship doesn't work anymore since U19, it can still be interesting to be able to slot some useful effect like Featherfall or BlindnessImmunity on an item and freeing a slot somewhere else
    Or for a weapon, add fire/acid/elec/cold or holy prefix and a suffix (like deception or a lesser bane or everbright)
    You cannot add two prefix

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enguebert View Post
    For level 8,12 and 16, the big advantage of tier 3 is to have Craftable +2 or +3

Even if Masterful Crafmanship doesn't work anymore since U19, it can still be interesting to be able to slot some useful effect like Featherfall or BlindnessImmunity on an item and freeing a slot somewhere else
    Or for a weapon, add fire/acid/elec/cold or holy prefix and a suffix (like deception or a lesser bane or everbright)
    You cannot add two prefix
    Crafting onto Challenge Gear raises the Minimum Level.

So yes, you can indeed craft say Blindness Immunity onto the gear, but unless your crafting level is pretty much maxed so you can craft Flexible Shards you're limited in where you can craft it to.

Also your ML 8 Challenge gear is now ML 9 with Blindness Immunity.

Your ML 16 Challenge Gear is now ML 17 with Blindness Immunity.

And so on.

And that's using Masterful Craftsmanship.

Since Masterful Craftsmanship is broken your ML 16 Challenge Gear with Blindness Immunity is now Minimum Level 19.