Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dismayed

Community Member

Default Dismayed

I wanted to create my character, Aolas on every server and tonight logged on to Ghallanda to start a new character after playing on Wayfinder for the last two weeks only to find that someone has stolen the name.

Why would anyone do this? I'm devastated.

Yes, surely they saw your toon on Wayfinder and jealously used the name on Gland, and couldn't possably have already had it...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Yeah cause Aolas wasn't a character on a TV series WAY before you used the name in DDO. Impossible for someone else to come up with the idea of stealing the same name from the show....right?
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default It happens...

Dear OP,

It happens. I've been playing online games since the early 80's and I've made several handles (we called them handles back in the day) stand out. As the world of online games grew up, some of my names became used by other people. Also, I have run into folks online that have been using the same handle as me for years by coincidence from other countries! I wouldn't sweat it. It's an opportunity to be creative and make another name for yourself

Time for some humor:

All the best,

Liv

Quote Originally Posted by Aolas View Post
    I wanted to create my character, Aolas on every server and tonight logged on to Ghallanda to start a new character after playing on Wayfinder for the last two weeks only to find that someone has stolen the name.

Why would anyone do this? I'm devastated.
    LOL

Why not try the following names instead:

iamaolas
    therealaolas
    Xaolasx

or my favourite:

legaolas

which admittedly is probably taken, so you may have to go for:

xxxlegaolasxxx

That'll show that scurrilous name thief who the real Aolas is!

Quote Originally Posted by Daine View Post
    LOL

Why not try the following names instead:

iamaolas
    therealaolas
    Xaolasx

or my favourite:

legaolas

which admittedly is probably taken, so you may have to go for:

xxxlegaolasxxx

That'll show that scurrilous name thief who the real Aolas is!
    You forgot this version:
    Air_aolas

nudge-nudge ^^
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 09-05-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Pretty sure it's a bank toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    Pretty sure it's a bank toon.
    Achilles is a bank toon on kyber.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    Yeah cause Aolas wasn't a character on a TV series WAY before you used the name in DDO. Impossible for someone else to come up with the idea of stealing the same name from the show....right?
    And fyi I made that character in 1979 when i was 8 years old. I don't know what show you're referring to.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    Dear OP,

It happens. I've been playing online games since the early 80's and I've made several handles (we called them handles back in the day) stand out. As the world of online games grew up, some of my names became used by other people. Also, I have run into folks online that have been using the same handle as me for years by coincidence from other countries! I wouldn't sweat it. It's an opportunity to be creative and make another name for yourself
    Handles are used by hackers.

Usually when a name is registered it is usually reserved. Aside from losing a name I cherish there is now somebody running around Ghallanda who isn't me. It's totally absurd why the name wouldn't be reserved since the same account is for all servers, you don't have to set up a new account for each one. Now I might have to deal with someone being a complete a-hole running around upsetting everyone and since I use the name on forums it could get ugly.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Very nice.

Get a grip on reality mate.
    You don't own the name. It's a name in a game. Move on as people have suggested.

If you feel really aggrieved, maybe ring Turbine Customer Support and lodge a complaint.....
    Give me your alt list and I'll show you why it's a problem

And fyi I made that character in 1979 when i was 8 years old. I don't know what show you're referring to.
    You didn't make that character in DDO in 1979, though. And the show I was referring to was "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys". Very cheesy show from the 1990s. "Xena: Warrior Princess" was a spinoff of Hercules. Anyways, Aolas was Hercules' sidekick on the show.

Point is, this Aolas character you're describing, the one who "copied" you, is an archived character. Which means the character has been inactive for probably longer than you've been playing DDO. Sooooo....there's really no way they could have "copied" you.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Besides, the proper way to grief a name isn't to go around being a jerk, it's to make a toon name "Teh_Troll" and go around spouting pleasantries, freely handing out cookies, plat and flowers to everyone you see

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Besides, the proper way to grief a name isn't to go around being a jerk, it's to make a toon name "Teh_Troll" and go around spouting pleasantries, freely handing out cookies, plat and flowers to everyone you see
    Teh_Troll hands out plat?!
    Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme!

I'm sure everybody else in the world is aware of this fact. That's the first thing everybody should learn in history class.

753 BC: Rome was founded
    1492: Columbus discovered America
    1914: Start of World War I
    1940: Start of World War II
    1979: The name Aolas was taken

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    1940: Start of World War II
    You were sleeping during history class, weren't you? WW II started in 1939.
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by darthhento View Post
    Forzah is from the Netherlands. They weren't invaded until 1940.... Guess that is what their history books say....

:-)

For us Dutchies it started in 1940

Community Member

Give me your alt list and I'll show you why it's a problem
    You can all my Alt names as I only play on one server.
    If I go to another I will create more names.

I started playing the day DDO was released and my account name was not available on any server.
    Neither was Driz'zt. I was devastated. It took me minutes to recover.
    That's life mate.
    Suck it up princess and move on.

Y'know, it feels like WWI just kept going in some ways. Bit of a break to rebuild, re-arm, etc... Off we go again! (With some impassioned speeches about the November Criminals.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast