Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Lost Two Feats from +20LHW reincarnation

Right after the last major update (what, two weeks ago?), I realized I'd need to reincarnate my character in order to get Spellcraft skilled up, since that was apparently important for the effectiveness of my Wizard PM. It turns out I had a free reincarnation, so I did that. And screwed up on my feats. Evidently "Spell Penetration" and "Greater Spell Penetration" are not class feats. Whatever, I had the +20LHW. So I waited a week or so and used that to reincarnate. Only, I ran into a problem when I was done leveling up. I now had 13 feats instead of 15, and I missed out on choosing both my Epic Level Feats (though the lost feats could've been at any level, I wasn't monitoring it).

So far I have reported the bug, and contacted GMs three times. The first time the GM responded by simply telling me to do a bug report. I did. Then I saw that the bug report thank-you-message said that it couldn't help with in-game stuff. So I submitted another, requesting that the GM actually talk to me. He did, and assured me that when the bug was fixed the feats would reappear. Only, I didn't get to choose the feats, so how would they reappear?

I also requested a reset on my reincarnation timer as well as the ability to re-reincarnate, but the GM assured me that it would have no effect so it would be pointless to do so. Except, now I'm sitting here with a far less useful - nearly useless, in fact - level 25 PM wizard. Until what? Until they fix the bug and I magically receive the ability to get two more feats? Won't I have to reincarnate again in order to get them? Also, it didn't screw up my number of feats from the free reincarnation. Only via that stupid free LHW. So why can't I just do that again so I can fix my character and get on with enjoying the new content?

Screw it, I'll just go play FFXIV until my DDO sub runs out. Now if only I could get a refund for my time paid.

Founder

GMs are for in-game issues like game play or quest issues. They can't help with things like reincarnation, feats, etc.

Either create a ticket at http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...&deptID=24001&

Or call one of their support numbers:

http://www.turbine.com/en/company/contact

Community Member

I don't quite understand why you think your character is now nearly useless.
    Anyway, did you lose your epic lvl feats during LR? That seems kinda odd, because a LR shouldn't affect epic lvls (and thus not remove these feats).

Founder

Another thought: did you visit the Fatespinner after you LR'd? Maybe you need to do something there.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

I find it hard to believe that you are "Missing" feats.

you should post a screenshot of your feat list.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Have you visited Fred?

This is not a guarantee, but I have heard word that Fred will sometime recognize missing feats and allow you to switch out a "Missing Token" for one of the appropriate level.

I would agree that it would be better to contact support and not an in-game GM to get help with this matter.

Also if you are only missing Spell Pen and Greater Spell Pen you are not gimp'd. You might not enjoy the playstyle but you do have alternatives that you can use while you wait out an LR timer.

Community Member

I apologize for the following mess. I didn't feel like quoting each person, so I just posted it all in one thing without quotes.

-----

I also found it hard to believe that I lost two feats. I even went to the extent of determining the number feats I was supposed to have (by looking at the lists on the DDOwiki) and comparing it with how many I actually had.

She's useless in the sense of that much less Spell Penetration greatly affects the probability of penetrating the enemy's SR. Two hundred less mana I was able to deal with, as I'd largely gotten my character to the point of being able to go through even most long quests without running entirely out of mana.

She's also useless to the extent of most of my gameplay is solo or with just one other character, and being able to land far fewer Finger of Death spells, etc, makes that much more difficult.

I have talked to Fred, and nothing showed up like that. It wasn't something I'd heard about, but it occurred to me that maybe it would work.

I didn't talk to the Fatespinner, though I will try that the next time I have the opportunity to do so. Thank you.

The LR did affect my Epic levels in the sense of having to re-level those. My Epic Destinies were left untouched, but the levels themselves had to be regained.

I'm not sure how something that happens entirely in what I would call the game is considered to not be "in-game". I understand at this point that they can't help with things like Feats, Reincarnations, etc, but the distinction between those not being in-game and other things being in-game doesn't really make sense. This forum is not in-game. Even the launcher application I can see being considered to not be "in-game". But everything else after going past the login screen is what I would consider to be "in-game".

Lastly, I'm not terribly interested in spending my DDO store points (what little I have) on a LR because they introduced a new system that made it necessary to reincarnate in order to continue being an effective damage-dealer and their freebie screwed up my character even more than leaving it be would've. I rather need those points for the inevitable day I haven't enough money to continue paying for my subscription and need to purchase Half-elf and monk (for my other character).

And their tech-support line has been about as friendly and/or helpful as an army of barbazus so far.

Community Member

Really quick: It was not my intention to sound *****y at anyone. I apologize if that happened with my previous response. The only people I'm annoyed with are the people responsible for the bug that screwed up my character.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by danabear View Post
    Really quick: It was not my intention to sound *****y at anyone. I apologize if that happened with my previous response. The only people I'm annoyed with are the people responsible for the bug that screwed up my character.
    you wouldnt be the first person to miscount or get bad info from a wiki.

thats why we ask for clarification and proof on complaints like this.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    you wouldnt be the first person to miscount or get bad info from a wiki.

thats why we ask for clarification and proof on complaints like this.
    It's not just the wiki, though. I recently helped a friend greater reincarnate and noticed how much more difficult it was to determine all the feats he'd previously had without a list. So I wrote down a list of the feats I had prior to LRing, just in case. When I LR'd and lost those two feats, I thought that I might've screwed up. So I verified the levels that I was supposed to have choose-able feats with the DDOwiki site and determined that the number I found there was the same as the number of feats on my list. I should've just done screenshots of everything, but I have no Print Screen button, so I just wrote it all down instead. The list of current feats is as follows:

Augment Summoning
    Eschew Materials
    Extend Spell
    Mental Toughness
    Improved Mental Toughness
    Spell Focus: Enchantment
    Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment
    Spell Focus: Necromancy
    Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy
    Spell Penetration
    Greater Spell Penetration
    Toughness
    Half-Elf Dilettante: Ranger (including it in the list as it's one I counted as part of the 15)

The two I'm missing from prior to both my reincarnations:

Epic Mental Toughness
    Epic Spell Penetration

When I used my free reincarnation, I still had the same number of feats, but I failed to notice that Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration are not Class Feats, and settled for another Spell Focus feat for a week until I could use my +20LHW.
    Last edited by danabear; 09-05-2013 at 10:20 PM.

The LR did affect my Epic levels in the sense of having to re-level those. My Epic Destinies were left untouched, but the levels themselves had to be regained.
    The two (feats) I'm missing from prior to both my reincarnations:

Epic Mental Toughness
    Epic Spell Penetration
    So.....if I understand this right...you lost your Epic levels when you LRed. So you..had to re-level your Epic levels. And you're wondering what happened to your Epic feats....which you select from as you level up through the um....Epic levels...because they're um...EPIC feats....

Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't you be able to re-select those two feats as you re-level up through the Epic levels?

I'm not meaning to sound snarky or anything here...just don't get what the problem is. The answer seems obvious to me: reselect those feats as you level up in Epic. Then again, I don't know everything.

P.S. You don't need a Print Screen button. Ctrl+P will take a screenshot in DDO.
    Last edited by Philibusta; 09-05-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    So.....if I understand this right...you lost your Epic levels when you LRed. So you..had to re-level your Epic levels. And you're wondering what happened to your Epic feats....which you select from as you level up through the um....Epic levels...because they're um...EPIC feats....

Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't you be able to re-select those two feats as you re-level up through the Epic levels?

I'm not meaning to sound snarky or anything here...just don't get what the problem is. The answer seems obvious to me: reselect those feats as you level up in Epic. Then again, I don't know everything.

P.S. You don't need a Print Screen button. Ctrl+P will take a screenshot in DDO.
    I apologize for the confusion. When I said I had to "re-level those", I meant that I needed to redo the leveling at the NPC that is on the airship. Not that I needed to get all of the experience over again. My irritation would be considerably higher if that were the case.

I was unaware of that regarding Print Screen. Since most of the Windows-oriented games that I've played previously require a Print Screen to get a screenshot without changing the keybindings, I figured DDO would be the same and haven't yet gone through the keybindings in DDO to change it as I am usually unconcerned about screenshots. Thank you, though. I'll try to remember that in the future.

Right after the last major update (what, two weeks ago?), I realized I'd need to reincarnate my character in order to get Spellcraft skilled up, since that was apparently important for the effectiveness of my Wizard PM. It turns out I had a free reincarnation, so I did that. And screwed up on my feats. Evidently "Spell Penetration" and "Greater Spell Penetration" are not class feats. Whatever, I had the +20LHW. So I waited a week or so and used that to reincarnate. Only, I ran into a problem when I was done leveling up. I now had 13 feats instead of 15, and I missed out on choosing both my Epic Level Feats (though the lost feats could've been at any level, I wasn't monitoring it).

So far I have reported the bug, and contacted GMs three times. The first time the GM responded by simply telling me to do a bug report. I did. Then I saw that the bug report thank-you-message said that it couldn't help with in-game stuff. So I submitted another, requesting that the GM actually talk to me. He did, and assured me that when the bug was fixed the feats would reappear. Only, I didn't get to choose the feats, so how would they reappear?

I also requested a reset on my reincarnation timer as well as the ability to re-reincarnate, but the GM assured me that it would have no effect so it would be pointless to do so. Except, now I'm sitting here with a far less useful - nearly useless, in fact - level 25 PM wizard. Until what? Until they fix the bug and I magically receive the ability to get two more feats? Won't I have to reincarnate again in order to get them? Also, it didn't screw up my number of feats from the free reincarnation. Only via that stupid free LHW. So why can't I just do that again so I can fix my character and get on with enjoying the new content?

Screw it, I'll just go play FFXIV until my DDO sub runs out. Now if only I could get a refund for my time paid.
    I got some suggestions for troubleshooting:

1) Basis: You should have 15 feats total including Helf-Dilletanta and your two Epic level feats. Right now you got 13 total.
    2) Check your Toughness feat (hover over it in the feats list). Did you take it twice or even three times? It would show up only once in your feats list - even if you took it several times. Not sure how Mental Toughness works - but the same might apply here.
    3) If 2 won't help: visit Fred and check and see at which levels you are missing feats. You can do this by selecting a feat for exchange and looking at the top right. THere you can see at which levels you took a particular feat. However, mind that you don't have all feats available for checking/exchange but only the highest tier feats (you should be able to check improved mental toughness, but you wont be able to check mental toughness as this is a prerequisite). Check with the wiki at which levels there should be feats available. If one level is missing you have at least a hint to when it happened (again this is a somewhat dirty method as you cannot check all feats and thus cannot be 100% sure wheter something is missing our you just cant see the respective feat).

Hope that helps.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marewood View Post
    2) Check your Toughness feat (hover over it in the feats list). Did you take it twice or even three times? It would show up only once in your feats list - even if you took it several times. Not sure how Mental Toughness works - but the same might apply here.
    Based on your suggestion, I logged into the game and hovered over Mental Toughness and Toughness to see if I'd acquired them more than once. The likelihood of that having happened was incredibly slim, though, as my process involved checking my feats off each time I acquired one of them. And I was very diligent, making sure to do that every time. However, it would seem that I have acquired Toughness three times, regardless of that. To be sure, my process is not flawless, but having checked them off each time I acquired the appropriate feat, I should not have acquired any of them more than once. I can only assume that some manner of bug forced me to acquire the feat multiple times. Regardless, I suppose I have no recourse other than to spend an obscene number of points on a LHW from the DDO store. Hopefully I'll still have enough at the end of my payment period to pay for Half-Elf and Monk.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, comments, and tolerance.

And thank you Marewood for the correct suggestion. Even though it is incredibly frustrating.

Glad to see that you discovered where your "missing feats" were hiding. Good luck in resolving them.

I don't know if any of the following applies to your situation, but I always recommend the following advice when it comes to Leveling and any form of TR.

- it can wait
    • Never do them when you are tired
    • Never do them when you are drunk
    • Never do them when you are upset
    • Never do them when you are frustrated
    • Never do them when you are in a hurry

Regardless, I suppose I have no recourse other than to spend an obscene number of points on a LHW from the DDO store.
    A cheaper way to do it would be to go to Fred and try a feat-swap, see if you can swap out those extra toughness feats for the ones you want. That way you don't have to spend all those points. It'd cost plat, but that's easily recovered. Another option would be to buy some astral diamonds and use those to swap feats -- it's something like 15 diamonds to swap feats in epic levels, and you can get 30 diamonds or so for 195 points, or about $2.50. Might be cheaper than buying another entire respec.

<edit> After u19, I actually don't even bother with toughness anymore, since the racial/class +hp enhancements are gone. Yeah, it's 30hp or so at 28th, but I'd rather take something more useful, like spell pen, mana, etc.
    Last edited by Lorianna; 09-06-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianna View Post
    A cheaper way to do it would be to go to Fred and try a feat-swap, see if you can swap out those extra toughness feats for the ones you want. That way you don't have to spend all those points. It'd cost plat, but that's easily recovered. Another option would be to buy some astral diamonds and use those to swap feats -- it's something like 15 diamonds to swap feats in epic levels, and you can get 30 diamonds or so for 195 points, or about $2.50. Might be cheaper than buying another entire respec.

<edit> After u19, I actually don't even bother with toughness anymore, since the racial/class +hp enhancements are gone. Yeah, it's 30hp or so at 28th, but I'd rather take something more useful, like spell pen, mana, etc.
    I tried doing the feat swap thing. Unfortunately it's actually more expensive, as I can't swap the feats out directly for what I want. I'd have to swap out my current level 21 and 24 feats, as well as the two mistake Toughness feats, and probably some other ones besides in order to get everything. It's a ridiculous process, since it doesn't involve the levels that you could've gotten things, only the levels you did get them. And since it can only be done once every 72 hours (I think that's right), it makes it even worse. Waiting for someone to generously sell a Heart of Wood on the auction house will now seemingly take years, since everyone wants to sell them on the Shard Exchange for more than they're worth from the DDO store. And since I only have random chance to rely on to actually get one, I'm basically left with just buying it using my DDO store points. Since that is the case, and I do have another character that I can use in the meantime, I'll just wait for them to put Hearts of Wood on sale again (though that too may take months).

Regarding why I get Toughness to begin with, though: it's required for some of the Pale Master stuff. Otherwise I'd never have bothered with it either.

Community Member

Is it possible that early on you took all available "wizard bonus feats" when you were not at a point requiring wizard only bonus feats leaving nothing available when you *should* have a wizard bonus feat? If you talk to Fred and go through feat by feat he should show what level you acquired each at, or he did when i used him a week ago anyway. Write down the levels you snagged each feat and compare that to when you should receive a wizard bonus feat in addition to a regular feat. Compare to the wiki or builds on the forums.. Perhaps you can find something like that that went wrong. Maybe even one of the devs will check this out and with enough info be able to set things in motion to get your character set right.

I tried doing the feat swap thing. Unfortunately it's actually more expensive, as I can't swap the feats out directly for what I want. I'd have to swap out my current level 21 and 24 feats, as well as the two mistake Toughness feats, and probably some other ones besides in order to get everything. It's a ridiculous process, since it doesn't involve the levels that you could've gotten things, only the levels you did get them. And since it can only be done once every 72 hours (I think that's right), it makes it even worse. Waiting for someone to generously sell a Heart of Wood on the auction house will now seemingly take years, since everyone wants to sell them on the Shard Exchange for more than they're worth from the DDO store. And since I only have random chance to rely on to actually get one, I'm basically left with just buying it using my DDO store points. Since that is the case, and I do have another character that I can use in the meantime, I'll just wait for them to put Hearts of Wood on sale again (though that too may take months).

Regarding why I get Toughness to begin with, though: it's required for some of the Pale Master stuff. Otherwise I'd never have bothered with it either.
    I believe you can bypass the feat respec timer if you give Fred shards. I would still think that overall shards are cheaper than a new heart.

Community Member

[...] my process involved checking my feats off each time I acquired one of them. [...]
    Perhaps it'd be better to just, like, plan ahead? Then you can work out all the "I need to take X before Y but can't take X as bonus feat, so I'll need to take X at 15, Y at 18 and Z as wizard bonus feat at 20" before they hit you.

Like:
    1. Insightful reflexes.
    1 wizard bonus. School focus [something]
    3. Maximize
    5.wb. Extend
    10wb. Quicken
    12. Spell pen.
    15. Greater spell pen.
    15wb.
    18. Greater spell focus [something]
    20wb.

21. Epic spell pen.