Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    With all due respect I don't believe you know where spell power levels where at in the past, or for that matter even the present. ML8 is 54 spell power at best, with 12 or 13% crit chance from lore. A similar item right now would be a ML18 (84 power and 15% lore)

If you think that having a casting stick that was 10 levels more powerful than normal is "garbage" then I have to assume you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Your're telling me that just prior to update 19, that risia item had a spellpower of 84 and was only minimum level 8? If so, it was bugged. When they put in the spellpower changes, risia items changed to reflect the minimum levels appropriate to their spellpower. The main advantage of them is that they didn't add any potential to the minimum level calculations. So you could have 2 types of spellpower for the cost of one.

If you have an old school item that somehow escaped this change, be happy you got to use an item that essentially slipped through the cracks for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    See also limitation on what you can put it on.

Again - they broke it and instead of fixing it they go through the motion of giving us the lag fest anyways.
    They didn't break it on purpose. They put in a new system, and it didn't accomodate these archaic items, which by the way are grandfathered items anyway, since they changed the entire risia crafting system the next year.

Expecting them to spend time specifically creating code to make this stuff the way it was is as ridiculous as me demanding that television stations begin sending analog signals again so that my 1974 RCA colortrak with bunny ears can pick up a signal.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    They didn't break it on purpose. They put in a new system, and it didn't accomodate these archaic items, which by the way are grandfathered items anyway, since they changed the entire risia crafting system the next year.

Expecting them to spend time specifically creating code to make this stuff the way it was is as ridiculous as me demanding that television stations begin sending analog signals again so that my 1974 RCA colortrak with bunny ears can pick up a signal.
    While it's true that they can't be thinking about all the old collateral splash damage from every change in the game, they should also weigh the advantages of implementing a change in the first place if it produces too much unwanted collateral damage. There is always the option of just not going ahead with any given change until a better idea comes along that doesn't anger players. They updated min levels which both fixed and broke many old items in order to implement a system that I really hope isn't finished yet as they're missing loads of affixes that were only added last year. These sort of semi finished buggy systems or "dev pet projects" seem to be quite popular for them these days. The raid counter change comes to mind as well. Buggy, unfinished and unnecessary, yet implemented anyway.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 09-05-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Which sold for 10,000,000 yes that's right ten million plat (1000 Motes at the time sold for 1mil plat).
    You're wrong. It was never this expensive.

Default not that easy

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    The answer is that they shouldn't.

This pattern repeats itself over and over with DDO and other MMOs as well. And the difference between seeing these changes as betrayals as opposed to mere annoyances is entirely a function of the grinding.

Play for fun, not for gear, unless grinding for gear is what you find fun, in which case -- expect this sort of thing to happen, and grind something else for fun.
    Oh no you don't,. You won't get off that easy with that crappy canned comeback. They as in TURBINE actually designed the level 20 game around the farm for gear. That's it. You get to level 20 and then you go try and collect epic parts to make your epic item. That, my friend, was DELIBERATE. When they change all that on a whim, it becomes more than a mere annoyance to the general populace. Of course there are others who just enjoy TRing, leveling multiple chars, etc and never work towards epic gear, but we are talking about the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY. They set the system up, pulled most of the players in by dangling that SHINY carrot and then said "It's wabbit season" and dropped an ACME bomb on us. The developers who actually thought they were doing us a favor must have never played the game. The same goes with the Risia event. The ONLY reason people worked on Risia was to get the gear and abilities at a low ML. Turbine was fine with it. So we farmed the **** out of it, some just for their own characters' gear and some used it as a marketplace tool effectively putting work in at a specific time in order to get items with abilities that normally you could not get anywhere else. That's called EVENT gear and its happens in every MMO. The problem you see is that every other MMO doesn't actually mess with the gear they gave you. You are grandfathered in, until now. Thanks TURBINE for being the first company to produce an MMO that wrecks special grandfathered event items.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilger View Post
    Every MMO does this not just DDO. They introduce items down the road that make those uber items you have junk. It keeps people grinding and playing to get the new better stuff that will be junk in a year compared to some more new stuff.

I expect it from every MMO I have played and never been disappointed (I have played a lot of them for sure).
    You missed the point. Of course Turbine and every other MMO introduce new items that make old items obsolete. BUT, Turbine was not satisfied with just that. They actually went in and nerfed the ACTUAL items. Changing the actual items is considered a no no when talking about grandfathered in event items. Its more customer service oriented for them to just let the event items eventually get worse and worse compared to new items. Every MMO company (except Turbine I guess) knows this.

Your're telling me that just prior to update 19, that risia item had a spellpower of 84 and was only minimum level 8? If so, it was bugged. When they put in the spellpower changes, risia items changed to reflect the minimum levels appropriate to their spellpower. The main advantage of them is that they didn't add any potential to the minimum level calculations. So you could have 2 types of spellpower for the cost of one.

If you have an old school item that somehow escaped this change, be happy you got to use an item that essentially slipped through the cracks for a while.
    No, the main advantage was that adding the glaciation/icy burst/frost/cold touch didn't change the ML of the item at all, regardless of what other spell power was on it. It wasn't a bug. Turbine designed it that way and was fine with it.

[QUOTE=FestusHood;5092580]They didn't break it on purpose. They put in a new system, and it didn't accomodate these archaic items, which by the way are grandfathered items anyway, since they changed the entire risia crafting system the next year.

Newsflash, changing the way items are created NEVER should change the items that have already been created. Once you make something , you get to have it with the effects that are on it WHEN you made it, Period. They add a few steps in the creation later on? They make it so future crafting creates an inferior item? Oh well. You have your item GRANDFATHERED in and it shouldn't be changed. Do you understand the concept of GRANDFATHERING? Unfortunately, Turbine doesn't.

Newsflash, changing the way items are created NEVER should change the items that have already been created. Once you make something , you get to have it with the effects that are on it WHEN you made it, Period. They add a few steps in the creation later on? They make it so future crafting creates an inferior item? Oh well. You have your item GRANDFATHERED in and it shouldn't be changed. Do you understand the concept of GRANDFATHERING? Unfortunately, Turbine doesn't.

Also YES, I expect them to hold grandfathering sacred and spend the extra time and resources to make sure this is true. Every other MMO does.

A former ML8 item now completely useless with an ML of TWENTY EIGHT.

An ML8 Superior Glaciation 8 Major Ice lore item that had Risia Cold touch added for flavor (to make it frosty looking natch) became an ML28, cold touch of 15% ice lore and 84 cold Spell power.

So before I drag it out of my inventory to delete it let me tell you what that item was selling for, and how much it cost to build back then: 11,000 winter motes, which took a crazy long time to farm, on a character that DIDN'T have wings OR abudant step, and this is BEFORE everyone figured out the Ship Mast, and the mid air instance change. Which sold for 10,000,000 yes that's right ten million plat (1000 Motes at the time sold for 1mil plat). On Thelanis market forums during those days you could easilly sell one of these for 10mil, in fact there were more people trying to buy them than there were sellers.

Again, for the record Dev's: Players hate feeling like the time they spent playing the game is being p***ed on by you. When you make needless changes that steamroll over players hard won items, and time consuming grinds, when your changes are released with all the forethought and carelessness of releasing a bull in a china shop, people leave. No I wont leave over a single item. But I had upwards of two Mules filled with Risia upgraded stuff, fully half of that was from the first year. All of which is being pulled out of inventory to delete it. I wont leave over those items... I will however ignore all future events, as a waste of time, that will be deliberately ruined by Turbine as some point in the future.

You basically carped on three months worth of game play (Winter had three returns of Risia and Summer risia that year), it's no wonder the game is dieing, if you've been playing DDO for a while you come to expect that your play time will be obviated by poorly thought out changes and wildly unpredictable terrible design swings from one poll to the other.

Indeed DDO's design team has no appearent direction or focus... One minute they are making changes to Secret Doors for flavor, the next they a deleting all the new "composed" affixes that had much flavor, that were only introduced ONE YEAR AGO from the loot tables. and replacing them with something from an ASCII graphics Rogue-like spreadsheet game from 1988. "Solar IV, Solar V, Solar VI" Solar yawn.

One day you take "2d6 out in favor of 2-12, the next you're putting ROMAN NUMERALS into affixes and making it impossible to tell from the weapon name what you're looking at. One minute you're adding new enhancements that give power for 6 seconds with a 120 second cool down, that stacks on a vorpal, with stacks expiring every 2 seconds; the next you're making ghostbane drop on every 3rd random loot weapon because "new players can't deal with undead". One moment you're trying to capture casuals, the next you're putting in counter based abilities, short duration clickies and stacking "steamrollers" and other complex interacting abilities that require a math degree to figure out if they're worth using or not.

Sorry this turned into a generalized rant, but the fact is this former "fanboy" sees a wandering and thoughtless direction the game seems to be pulling in two different direction, trying to please two different markets, trying to hit two targets with the same bullet and squarely missing down the middle.

You may comence with your valiant defenses.

Oh and be sure to accuse me of exploiting and getting what I deserve because I put COLD TOUCH 1 cold damage on a weapon that would never be swung.

Sad But True,

I agree 1000%!!!!!!!!!
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12